Jump to content
Battlefront.com

Naughty or nice... here's some bones!

Recommended Posts

I've been thinking about the CM:SF backstory for a while (since II was announced), the rapid destruction of the Syrian government and related infrastructure would have had serious consequences in the longer run.....Just look at Iraq (then more or less double it). 

Instead of ISIS we might see OSIRIS (Organisation [for] Salafi Islamic Rule [in] Iraq [&] Syria).....But that's for a new thread (& game engine).  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Please guys, be generous in your distribution of Single Vehicles and Specialist Teams, especially towards Fighters & Combatants (& especially don't forget SPAAGnicals for all).....The potential this simple action would unlock in the title is ABSOLUTELY ENORMOUS!!!!!  B)

PS - Is this @George MC's NATO version of 'Hammertime':

5a3f49aa4d4d2_2017Bone7.thumb.jpg.fdb780

If so, your work at adapting the terrain is truly stonking.  B)

Somebody, please, redo Bishr:  http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=314&func=fileinfo&id=1732

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Combatintman said:

Brimstone's in service date pre-dates the CMSF timeframe so it is a technology that fits the CMSF backstory. A quick rummage through the British Forces Module Manual sees it mentioned as one of the ordnance options for the Tornado GR4 (Page 15 refers).

Yes, they used Tornado in those videos. Now it has been integrated to Typhoon as well.

I don't have CMSF installed right now, so cannot check if this salvo option is implemented in the game.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, SlowMotion said:

Yes, they used Tornado in those videos. Now it has been integrated to Typhoon as well.

I don't have CMSF installed right now, so cannot check if this salvo option is implemented in the game.
 

I wouldn't bother looking - airstrikes pretty much come in the following flavours in CMSF:

  1. Cannon run.
  2. Rocket attack.
  3. Air to Surface Missile strike (single munition).
  4. Bomb drop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

You get bombed to bits by the RAF in the first mission of the 'Stepsons of Jihad' campaign.....I've played it a dozen times and never noticed anything like that salvo, but I'm damned sure I would have noticed if it had been there!  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Combatintman said:

I wouldn't bother looking - airstrikes pretty much come in the following flavours in CMSF:

  1. Cannon run.
  2. Rocket attack.
  3. Air to Surface Missile strike (single munition).
  4. Bomb drop.

Maybe they could more flavors for CMSF2 - or other modern game. Some other air strike possibilities:

- the salvo mode of Brimstone
- bomb/missile launched very far away from target so the plane cannot be shot down with AA weapons on the CM map.
  like Israel missile - check especially 2:40
-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was that system in service in 2007-2008 is the question though?

While I too would love a CM:SF that's updated to CM:BS technology (& beyond), that's not what is currently on offer (CM:SF Expansion Pack 1 maybe?).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, ncc1701e said:

Yes, CMSF2 is an upgrade of CMSF to 4.0 engine. See the first post of this thread.

So in theory all user made campaigns for CMSF will be playable? im holding on playing a couple waiting for it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least one possibly two of the maps depicted in the 'Bones' is a CM:SF classic, another is probably from the NATO campaign, so I'd call that a big yes.....In theory at least! 

Rumours suggest that not only will the new engine support old maps, it may even improve them.....If it can auto-correct all those goddam internal windows in so many of the old urban maps that alone will be worth the purchase price for me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, boche said:

So in theory all user made campaigns for CMSF will be playable? im holding on playing a couple waiting for it

In theory yes but I doubt Battlefront will update anything other than content that was originally shipped with the game and its modules.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about expanding the time frame covered to the period 2003 - near future and, over time, creating new armies eg Turkey, Iraq (Saddam era 2003 and New Iraqi Army), Saudi. Egypt, Iran. Jordan, IDF, Hezbollah etc

This would allow scenario designers to create historical, current,and hypothetical scenarios giving sF the new lease of life it so badly needs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LUCASWILLEN05 said:

How about expanding the time frame covered to the period 2003 - near future and, over time, creating new armies eg Turkey, Iraq (Saddam era 2003 and New Iraqi Army), Saudi. Egypt, Iran. Jordan, IDF, Hezbollah etc

This would allow scenario designers to create historical, current,and hypothetical scenarios giving sF the new lease of life it so badly needs

It ain't happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Combatintman said:

In theory yes but I doubt Battlefront will update anything other than content that was originally shipped with the game and its modules.

Thats fine with me, I was just at first under the impresion that CMSF2 was going to be a new set of games, as in new instals, and not an upgrade/patch per se. If i can still play the Road to Dinas on CMSF2 I will be happy ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, boche said:

Thats fine with me, I was just at first under the impresion that CMSF2 was going to be a new set of games, as in new instals, and not an upgrade/patch per se. If i can still play the Road to Dinas on CMSF2 I will be happy ;)

Whether it is a set of new installs or not - The Road to Dinas is user made content and as I stated earlier, I doubt Battlefront will update it. Remember that Engine 4 will be adding things like

  1. Bridges
  2. Water Features
  3. Fortifications
  4. More AI slots
  5. Triggers

So, while the file may load, if the original designer used marsh tiles for rivers or the old style terrain mesh trenches, then it will just be a bit sh1t really and any mods used will probably not be compatible with the updated artwork.

Your options therefore will be:

  1. Contact the designer and request them to update to CMSF 2
  2. Crack the editor open and update it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Combatintman said:

Whether it is a set of new installs or not - The Road to Dinas is user made content and as I stated earlier, I doubt Battlefront will update it. Remember that Engine 4 will be adding things like

  1. Bridges
  2. Water Features
  3. Fortifications
  4. More AI slots
  5. Triggers

So, while the file may load, if the original designer used marsh tiles for rivers or the old style terrain mesh trenches, then it will just be a bit sh1t really and any mods used will probably not be compatible with the updated artwork.

Your options therefore will be:

  1. Contact the designer and request them to update to CMSF 2
  2. Crack the editor open and update it.

True I had not thought about the tiles thing. Hmm well guess we will just have to wait and see :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I trick question to you all & @Battlefront.com if I may - 

IF cmsfII is an updated cmsf to V4.0 specs.... will the vanilla campaigns and scenarios be the same as original cmsf... Or will there be new ones incorporated. ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, borg said:

I trick question to you all & @Battlefront.com if I may - 

IF cmsfII is an updated cmsf to V4.0 specs.... will the vanilla campaigns and scenarios be the same as original cmsf... Or will there be new ones incorporated. ?

See below:

On ‎25‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 1:49 AM, Battlefront.com said:

We'll hopefully be wrapping things up in January.  More news at that time.

It's all the original CMSF1 content (forces, art, scenarios, etc.) in the Engine 4 environment.  That means all Engine 4 game features, including QBs, are a part of CMSF2.  There's a lot of updating to the original CMSF1 stuff to make it work and look as it should, but we're not adding anything per se except the things which are fairly obvious (soldier models, QB maps, ground to air, on map mortars, bridges, water, etc.).

Steve

Come on guys, this ain't hard - I'll say it again - CMSF 2 is CMSF 1 in the Engine 4 environment. While there will be tweaks in the original campaigns eg Mission 2 of the Canadian Campaign has a river and a bridge mocked up via road tiles, elevation changes and marsh tiles. These will almost certainly be replaced by a proper bridge and river tiles in CMSF 2. In all likelihood, all of the AI plans will get a revamp with triggers rather than the old school scenario designer guesstimates for AI plans which will mean that scenarios and campaigns will probably play out slightly differently. However, in essence, they will be largely be the same as CMSF 1.

Asking the same questions over and over again in this and different forums ain't going to change the answer and it seems pretty pointless people banging on about having bones thrown if they don't actually read them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Combatintman said:

Crack the editor open and update it.

I've been doing this with some of the older maps already, my usual thing, messing with the doors and so on.....Just hoping my efforts will survive the transition. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be happy to purchase additional modules including more armies if Battlefront is willing to make the. Particularly Post Saddam Iraqi, Turkish, Jordanian. Israeli, Saudi, Iranian.

Given real world events in the region there are plenty of historical gaming and near future hypothetical conflicts/ Plus this tank is too cool to leave out of any modern Middle East game 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LUCASWILLEN05 said:

Plus this tank is too cool to leave out of any modern Middle East game 

The Merkava is a very interesting tank concept.  Engine forward, can carry troops in the back etc.  I didn't know this but from watching the video learned that it also has a 60mm mortar that can be fired from within the tank. Thanks for sharing :).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, LUCASWILLEN05 said:

Plus this tank is too cool to leave out of any modern Middle East game

I would be fascinated to see Israeli forces in Shock Force.

Plus, given the way the Syrian conflict has played out since the release of CMSF, I would like to see militias and irregulars (such as the Kurds) featured  on both sides.

However, the previous BF position on including the IDF (from some time ago) was a fairly strong negative. The reasoning at the time (as I recall) was that they didn't want to be seen as too political - which is a reasonable position I guess.

If they ever changed their mind, I would buy an IDF module, but I will almost certainly buy the upgrade and whatever modules and packs they release in the future regardless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As Combatintman has been 'splaining, "There Will Be NO New Steps" (Barry Fife, President, NSW Ballroom Dancing Federation)

I myself was hoping for some terrain, trees and buildings copy-pasted from CMFI to dress up the Levantine end of Syria, and maybe some bits and pieces from CMA that didn't encroach on Snowball's IP (Enfields, bearded tribals vs ski masked uncons, etc.). Just off the shelf stuff.

But a lot of what people are asking for here in terms of new forces and theatres can really be modded up and approximated from existing unit sets. Just roll up your sleeves and do it.

Edited by LongLeftFlank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2018 at 11:50 AM, Combatintman said:

Come on guys, this ain't hard - I'll say it again - CMSF 2 is CMSF 1 in the Engine 4 environment. ... it seems pretty pointless people banging on about having bones thrown if they don't actually read them.

I think we understand very well what the CMSF upgrade will be - and we are grateful for it.

It wasn't clear that that means that there will be no future additions to CMSF, which seems to be what you're saying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×