Naughty or nice... here's some bones!

• 3 weeks later...
On December 30, 2017 at 11:57 PM, sburke said:

Yep, the nice point of that is CMSF becomes the first title where you can blow up a bridge in your opponents face, but you don’t control when it gets blown.  Your opponent has a say in that and can potentially eliminate the trigger man or otherwise render them incapable of acting. There is also a chance the IED will fail. It is kind of cool being a nice compromise that keeps the bridge in play. 

Actually, I beg to differ. Perhaps in the CMx2 series, but in the first PBEM H2H I played in CMBB, my opponent used a German Sapper/Pioneer/Engineer unit to blowup the bridge that I had to cross to take the last flag I needed to win. Because of that, I got a loss.

On 04/02/2018 at 12:51 AM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I find you identifying with him kinda worrying dude!  :unsure:

Sorry guy dont saw your post before, have to know that, when i say something on a forum is to have fun or  to say something nice to somebody, or to talk in the correct way and talk sometime about strategy and tactic...
I see only the real nature of peoples and let them know, my english language is not always  the best but i give always the  best of me and can tell you this in 5 differents languages without help from translator or google...only I never will let somebody walking on my feet...so you are wrong to identify me with this man without scrupulous (in the movie) and let read and think everybodys on the forum if you want tell me something i can give you my private address and we can talk about.

2 hours ago, Vet 0369 said:

Actually, I beg to differ. Perhaps in the CMx2 series, but in the first PBEM H2H I played in CMBB, my opponent used a German Sapper/Pioneer/Engineer unit to blowup the bridge that I had to cross to take the last flag I needed to win. Because of that, I got a loss.

what is this CMBB you speak of?  It sounds like some strange prehistoric CMx1 title.  :D

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 10:26 AM, Vet 0369 said:

in the first PBEM H2H I played in CMBB, my opponent used a German Sapper/Pioneer/Engineer unit to blowup the bridge

Ah yes... another useful and fun feature that for mysterious reasons was removed from CM2. 

Actually am playing a huge CMBB tourney right now with a Regiment reinforced with a few companies of armor on each side.  Lots of bridges and I forgot one could do that with engineers...  

Edited by Erwin

On February 24, 2018 at 2:59 PM, Erwin said:

Thought that was not possible (until CMSF2).  Maybe something else was happening?  Or, did something change in v4??

On February 24, 2018 at 3:54 PM, Mord said:

It's not.

Mord.

To the contrary, it was possible, and happened. The scenario was the first day of Barbarossa. I, as the Soviets, had destroyed most of his units, and had taken all of the flags except the main victory flag on the far side of the bridge. Just before I got to he bridge, he had one of his units blow it, and I lost because that flag was the main victory point. He blew it up just to see if he could. I have retaliated by beating him in about 95% of all scenarios (CMBN + Market Garden, CMRT, and CMBS) we've played since then. I am however magnanimous and will explain what he did wrong that allowed me to crush him, and even what I did wrong that could have caused me to lose. In fact, I even gifted him a copy of Market Garden so I could continue to abuse him.

l actually have no problem with a defender blowing a bridge, or a dam, or a dike or something, but I don't agree with the attacker doing it unless it's to stop a defender's reinforcements from out flanking the attacker. Anyway, it was more than a decade ago, and he has paid dearly for his transgression.

Edited by Vet 0369

33 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Ah yes... another useful and fun feature that for mysterious reasons was removed from CM2. 

Actually am playing a huge CMBB tourney right now with a Regiment reinforced with a few companies of armor on each side.  Lots of bridges and I forgot one could do that with engineers...  

I'm glad I was able to help jog your memory. Good luck in your tourney!

Just to add some fun to this: You *can* destroy bridges in CM2. You can use artillery (bigger the better) and direct tank fire. I have done it with 155 artillery and M1s in CMBS and some big gun on the German side in one of the WW2 titles but I forget. I have no idea if 105 or mortar fire would be enough or not I have not tried. What you *cannot* do is use engineers to blow up a bridge.

So, call a point target 155 mission on a bridge and watch it go down - after a long time. The good news is while you are waiting no one is going to want to cross that bridge either.

8 hours ago, IanL said:

Just to add some fun to this: You *can* destroy bridges in CM2. You can use artillery (bigger the better) and direct tank fire. I have done it with 155 artillery and M1s in CMBS and some big gun on the German side in one of the WW2 titles but I forget. I have no idea if 105 or mortar fire would be enough or not I have not tried. What you *cannot* do is use engineers to blow up a bridge.

So, call a point target 155 mission on a bridge and watch it go down - after a long time. The good news is while you are waiting no one is going to want to cross that bridge either.

Unless they just happen to be armoured engineers. ;)

In testing an little while ago managed to destroy an bridge (cant remember the type) with an couple AVRE. Though took some time, firstly because reloading that things rather slow, secondly because they seemed at times to spas out going through an cycle of aiming and firing but not actually firing the damn thing and needed to be moved to an new position to continue. And they also waste much ammunition for their Besa during that time. Tried once under combat conditions in an quick mission also, and erm lets just say that did not end in success for the RE.

Edited by Oliver_88

On 2018-02-26 at 10:01 PM, Oliver_88 said:

Unless they just happen to be armoured engineers. ;)

LOL right - but the engineers will have to use their up calibre guns / HE chuckers, rather than their demo charges. As you said...

In testing an little while ago managed to destroy an bridge (cant remember the type) with an couple AVRE. Though took some time, firstly because reloading that things rather slow, secondly because they seemed at times to spas out going through an cycle of aiming and firing but not actually firing the damn thing and needed to be moved to an new position to continue. And they also waste much ammunition for their Besa during that time. Tried once under combat conditions in an quick mission also, and erm lets just say that did not end in success for the RE.

Yeah, it is easier to do when no one is shooting back. But that is the story of basically everything.

Also note the bridges do not have as many levels of damage as buildings do so it is hard to tell you are making a dent. Don't worry if you are hitting the bridge it is feeling it.

Edited by IanL
grammar

I used a company of T90AM, and 6 x 2 203mm on maximum duration to attack the large train bridge on the huge dam map. After many, many successful 203mm hits and after exhausting the ammunition of my ten tanks, I was unable to kill the bridge. Can anybody shed some light on this?

Done it under fire now also. :D

17 minutes in and AVRE's from 1 Section, 3 Troop, 82 Assault Squadron have got the job done. I gave them better support than on last attempt. 5 Platoon from 4th Battalion, Wiltshire Regiment and an Cromwell managed to hold the Germans back from the bridge long enough for the Sappers to complete the task. 5 Platoon so far has lost just over an quarter of their strength in that time, 82 Assault Squadrons vehicles are now providing them some protection whilst they collect their wounded. :D

LuS4MIg.png

Qu3NpsH.png

wTRBIYM.png

LrfXY9M.png

Much discussion about blowing up bridges.  In CMx1 you could artillery a bridge to death.  The scenarios are only 1 hourish +/- long.  Some only have 1 bridge strong enough to hold armor.  As the game starts one forward observer with a artillery reference point and a couple of big guns can win the game against any number of enemy armored divisions just by blowing the bridge.  Realistic, yes.  Fun, not too much, unless your the guy blowing the bridge but once it is gone it is virtually game over.