The Road Ahead - Operation Bagration

The fun thing about having your own company (and one that is successful) is Steve and Charles could decide tomorrow that "you know, maybe a NA desert module would be a great addition to CMFI, screw it let's go ahead" and all current scheduling plans are subject to change.

I'll take whatever they decide to do, they have yet to steer me wrong.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tunisia would be the logical end of the North African campaign, not a prequel to Italy. Not sure when we'll get around to doing NA, but we are interested in it...

^^^ This made my day.

When that day comes, I will probably become a hermit for good.

Well, except when it warms up, then I will have to share my free time with my 2011 Camaro. :D

I think that the game, module, pack, and upgrade system is great. I only have two wishes:

1) there would be a way to use maps created in one game to be used in another (I know they might have different terrain but that could be dealt with in various ways); and

2) you allow selected third parties to create packs as well, to create some niche content.

• 1 month later...
Steve said it will be out 4 months after CMBN 2.0 was released, which is the same thing as saying April.

So here we are in April and we think sometime between now and June will see the release of Operation Bagration. Unless there has been a hold up somewhere, But Gustav Line was on schedule so here hoping.

Any news Battlefront on a possible release date? And will we get tank riders?

So here we are in April and we think sometime between now and June will see the release of Operation Bagration. Unless there has been a hold up somewhere, But Gustav Line was on schedule so here hoping.

Though Italy was a surprise we could not be so fortunate on the EF, I'm only guessing. Late summer would a surprise however.

And will we get tank riders?

Given what Steve has said about that in the past, I suspect that feature is quite a few months still in the future. Like, more than a year.

That, however, is not engraved in stone, so believe what you will. Just be prepared to be disappointed if it doesn't turn up for a while.

Michael

I would not hold up the Bagration game just for tank riders. There are many features, I feel, that would be more desirable. Tank riding is more an operational than tactical means of transport. I know, one could say the same about trucks, but trucks were, I'm sure, much easier to implement in the game. I'm just thinking of all the development resource consuming animations that would be required for tank riding. Each tank model would probably have to be different. And by June '44 the Red Army had many more trucks available than previous years, making tank riding less necessary anyway.

OK, we can probably do without anti-tank dogs (at least until the Barbarossa game) but everyone knows that the dogs went under the tanks, and did not ride on them. Come on, man...

But seriously, it will be difficult to really get the full East Front immersion without tank riders.

Getting back to Operation Bagration what I would like to see is the period late June to late August/early Septembe 1944 au a minimum and preferably the first Soviet attempt to invade Roumania in the sprng (April - June 1944) and the push into Rouania and Hungary during the autumn of 1944 (aDebrecen Module to the main title) Ideally the main game should cover the SovietSpring Offensive itself and the first Roumanian offensive. It would have to include Model's battles to halt the offensive.

In time BF should cover the whole RF. Though Barbarossa is often seen as an easy win for the Germans it actually was not a walkover by any means. Operation Mars in the winter of 1942 (same time as Operation Uranas and, of course 3rd Kharkov, Kursk and the Dnieper line battles are crying out for the treatment.

Request to BF. After Gustav Line a return to the Russian Front is what I would like to see (and CMSF2 of course which I hope will allow winter warfare anda summer campaign)

Hear, hear!

Topic related interesting video about 65 y. old ISU-152:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=1e2_1365795228

Start up at 10:06, driving --> 12:00. Nice sound!

I put this in the wrong thread before, but for those dying for the GPW, may I present Russia's "Tank Overhauling" equivalent show?

ISU-152! When you see tank descents on this thing,grab irons fitted, you know you're about to have a truly awful day!

IS-2

I'd rather hear this one roar and snort, but the tank's movement and accompanying music make splendid martial poetry. Amazing how well it hides!

Regards,

John Kettler

• 2 weeks later...

Just some predictions on the "Bagration" family of games (though we really are only guessing at the name of the family):

Base Game:Operation Bagration. June '44

Module 1: Vistula Offensive Jan '44. Winter warfare

Module 2: Battle for Berlin April '45

Battlepack 1 Adds the '44 Finns and misc equipment.

Just some predictions on the "Bagration" family of games (though we really are only guessing at the name of the family):

Base Game:Operation Bagration. June '44

Module 1: Vistula Offensive Jan '44. Winter warfare

Module 2: Battle for Berlin April '45

Battlepack 1 Adds the '44 Finns and misc equipment.

Hmm that still leaves out the Roumanians and the Hungarians And the battles in Roumania and Hungary in the autumn/winter 1945. And the fight for Upper Silesia. Plus thw early 1944 Russian attempt to invade Roumania.

Hmm that still leaves out the Roumanians and the Hungarians And the battles in Roumania and Hungary in the autumn/winter 1945. And the fight for Upper Silesia. Plus thw early 1944 Russian attempt to invade Roumania.

That's true, I'm just being conservative with my predictions. At one point, Steve said Battlefront would never do the Romanians and Hungarians again, as the demand to play them wasn't worth the work involved. Later he backtracked on this. At this point I'm sure it's still undecided and will depend on sales of the Bagration family. Any way this is my prediction, not my wish list.

Hi,

Right. Really heavy artillery bombardments are operational affairs, while CM is a tactical game.

I don’t agree with that.. ;).

In its Western meaning operations are often described as having the “right units, in the right place at the right time...”. It is where you place your units, say battalion taskforces and the artillery units you attach to them for support.

Tactics are the use made of those units placed through operations at a give location to destroy the enemy. This very much includes artillery.

Artillery units are no more or less operational units than infantry units ;).

Lots to look forward to, we are lucky to have CM ;).

All the best,

Kip.