What is your favorite CMBN sound

I think one of the biggest improvements from CMx1 to CMx2 are the sounds.

My favorite CMBN sound is the Kettle drum staccato sound made by the German 20mm cannon that equip's a couple different AC's ,the PSW 222 and 234/1. I am not sure if this is the stock game sound or one that was added with one of the sound mods I downloaded.

I hope this 20 mm cannon will be in future modules as antiaircraft vehicles that could be used against ground targets. I can only imagine how kool this cannon:cool: would sound in a quad configuration such as is on the Wirbelwind.

The sound of the big MG on the turret of the Sherman tank when the commander is out of the hatch and thump-thump-thumping away. Gives the infantry a lot of comfort hearing that supporting fire.

That plus the effect of seeing artillery land somewhere in the distanse and then wait for the sound delay. Makes the experience more immersive.

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds of MG42 need to be addressed .... ;)

Click on video at bottom showing 250 round drum being fired on full auto. Someone should capture this sound and if possible, add it to the game sounds substituting what's there?

http://www.milsurps.com/content.php?r=228-1943-MG42-Code-ar-%28Mfg-by-Mauser-Werke-Borsigwalde%29

Regards,

Doug

Sounds of MG42 need to be addressed .... ;)

Click on video at bottom showing 250 round drum being fired on full auto. Someone should capture this sound and if possible, add it to the game sounds substituting what's there?

http://www.milsurps.com/content.php?r=228-1943-MG42-Code-ar-%28Mfg-by-Mauser-Werke-Borsigwalde%29

Regards,

Doug

Nice video. It seems to be 9 seconds, elapsed, to fire off the entire belt. That comes out to a cyclic rate of ~1600rpm. (If it's only 8 seconds it's about 1875 rpm.) Are you sure it's a full 250 rounds? (I didn't count!)

Nice video. It seems to be 9 seconds, elapsed, to fire off the entire belt. That comes out to a cyclic rate of ~1600rpm. (If it's only 8 seconds it's about 1875 rpm.) Are you sure it's a full 250 rounds? (I didn't count!)

I understand from the shooter that it was a full drum .... :)

I own the MG42 displayed in the Knowledge Library shown and have fired an MG42 on a full auto range in the U.S....

The sound used by CMBN is more like a regular MG and not "Hitler's Buzz Saw" as it was called by allied troops ... :P

Regards,

Doug

Immediately jealous! Do you get to actually use that thing up there in the Great White North?

You're much more knowledgeable about the weapon you own than I could ever be, however, assuming my cyclic rate is correct, I _thought_ the MG42 was famous for its 2,000 rpm fire. Is your bolt/spring set for a slower rate?

Immediately jealous! Do you get to actually use that thing up there in the Great White North?

You're much more knowledgeable about the weapon you own than I could ever be, however, assuming my cyclic rate is correct, I _thought_ the MG42 was famous for its 2,000 rpm fire. Is your bolt/spring set for a slower rate?

Interesting how figures get inflated in peoples' minds...

In its most typical configuration, the MG42 had a cyclic ROF of about 1,200 rpm. By swapping out the bolt for other bolts of different weights, the ROF could be varied between about 900 rpm, up to as high as 1,500 rpm. I have never heard of a non-electrically fed, single barrel automatic weapon could reach a cyclic ROF as high as 2,000 rpm. My understanding is that some postwar descendants of the MG42 can do about 1,800 rpm if they're configured a certain way, (very light bolt, removal of certain devices designed to slow down the ROF and reduce recoil), but that practically speaking they're never fielded this way.

I have read accounts that if fired for very long bursts on full auto, the weapon's ROF tended to actually climb slightly over the course of the burst, but I don't know what the extent of this effect was, and in any event doctrine was to never fire more than 250 rounds continuously from the gun, due to the overheating issues.

.... and in any event doctrine was to never fire more than 250 rounds continuously from the gun, due to the overheating issues.

That's correct and in fact, if one did fire full drum, it was a barrel change time... :D

There's also an excellent video on the same Knowledge Library entry showing how quickly an MG42 barrel can be changed out ...

Regards,

Doug