Move vs Quick

Something that always bugged me in CMSF, and now bugs me again in BFN.

Those 2 commands. I'm not really sure what the point of MOVE is. Nobody ever moves that slow in combat. That's the speed that Soldiers walk when they're on the FOB. NOT when there are incoming rounds or an enemy threat is imminent.

I'm guessing someone will come in here and tell me how wrong I am...?

I've never seen the point of move. It doesn't tire troops out, but then moving quick until tiring, resting until rested will get you in rested condition to the same place much faster. I suppose it may have some use in reducing micromanagement in that you can just give guys a move order over a long distance in your secure area when reinforcements arrive and forget about them until they get where they are going, which might be of benefit in realtime. But I never use it for infantry.

Soldiers scout better on Move? Better awareness?

My issue is that some of the commands are insufficiently differentiated. Quick is supposed to be a jog and Fast a flat out run. In reality the speeds are equal for both commands (vehicles, too, it seems) but troops running Fast tire out much earlier. Apparently troops on Quick are more likely to return fire but I find the trade-off rather mild.

move- when im playing a big map and a group of men away from the action, that isn't needed right now, but a little later. No need to tire them out before the fighting starts for them.

quick- what i use most of the time. not as fast as fast but men can go longer at that speed.

Fast- only use when i don't want my men to stop shoot back, when crossing a street or a gap in a bocage. I learned the hard way once when my men stopped to fire back and got slaughtered when passing a gap in a bocage.

Dunno how bfc works it, but the energy level really makes a difference with the squads effectiveness. I find my self rotating squads on the front lines. Give them a little break to get their head right.

"move" is really for movement in the rear areas.

With vehicles "move" lessens the chance of bogging/immobilization and/or traffic jams.

With infantry, I only use it if I want to move troops to an assembly area when time is not an issue and I want to make sure they arrive fresh.

I think you're right - it seems too slow. I hardly use the Move command. Usually only non-essential units such as ammo bearers, XOs, reserve platoons, etc...

Has anyone noticed how the Fast command is only slightly faster than the Quick command but seems to tire your infantry out much faster?

logged a lot of "real world" in game action, it makes a difference, they definitely last longer.

I meant in terms of speed not endurance. The speed difference between Quick and Fast doesn't exist, apparently. The same seems to be true for vehicles.

I write 'apparently' because I didn't do sustained testing.

Last time I checked, "Fast" was about 1/3 faster than "Quick" for infantry, but that was in CMSF. Also in "Fast", troops will not stop to shoot if they spot an enemy.

The time to use "Fast" is when you want to cover a short stretch very quickly, for example getting a squad on the other side of the street that you know is covered by an enemy MG. You don't want one of your soldiers to pause in the middle of the street and get into a firefight. :)

During a night scenario, I often use MOVE instead of QUICK because it's a lot quieter :)

It seems to make a difference.

Worth knowing if true. Thing is, the squad leaders are always shooting off their mouths no matter what speed they are going. Somebody needs to work on that and make voice commands a little more context sensitive. Surely the enemy can hear them coming half a kilometer away.

Michael

I use Move a lot; whenever I can.

Quieter for the last few yards to hedge row so not spotted straight away.

Stamina. I was under the impression that quick may appear betting in short term, but over a longer battle they will start tio get tired more quickly.

Use Quick when incoming is a risk

I use Move a lot; whenever I can.

Quieter for the last few yards to hedge row so not spotted straight away.

I do this too. Slow is practically useless unless you are only going a couple of feet. I think there needs to be something in between hunt and slow (crawling on the ground with your face in the dirt). Something stealthy that doesn't completely exhaust the men after a few feet. Slow should be renamed Crawl and a new Sneak movement should be added. It would be similar to what hunt is, but not as physically demanding as what slow is.