Move vs Quick

I need to amend the results of the speed test I threw together. On watching it again in RT I noticed that Fast does enjoy a definite speed advantage, 30-40%, over the first hundred meters or so. But that edge evaporates when a significant stretch of ground is covered. So, yes, as a sprint, it has its uses.

Also I believe that although the endurance quotients could be adjusted altering the velocity would mess with the game's animations.

I do this too. Slow is practically useless unless you are only going a couple of feet. I think there needs to be something in between hunt and slow (crawling on the ground with your face in the dirt). Something stealthy that doesn't completely exhaust the men after a few feet. Slow should be renamed Crawl and a new Sneak movement should be added. It would be similar to what hunt is, but not as physically demanding as what slow is.

Yeah, rarely use slow. Hunt is good but too many zings trigger a halt instead of just cracks.

Taking of serving in infantry, what happened to the Monkey run...

The speed difference between FAST and QUICK seems to disappear in poor terrain.

Troops on QUICK will often have time to recover before MOVE-using troops finish the same journey. (I don't know about long-term effects.)

I suspect QUICK drains heavily laden teams more quickly, making MOVE look better. I've yet to send a HMG team on a long foot-slog, though, or tested it. Just some QUICK movement down the street or to the next hedgerow.

I need to amend the results of the speed test I threw together. On watching it again in RT I noticed that Fast does enjoy a definite speed advantage, 30-40%, over the first hundred meters or so. But that edge evaporates when a significant stretch of ground is covered. So, yes, as a sprint, it has its uses.

Also I believe that although the endurance quotients could be adjusted altering the velocity would mess with the game's animations.

good to know. I thought I would have to run tests of my own. :)

Fast is a short sprint. It's not meant to last for 5 minutes. It's supposed to go for no more than about 30+ seconds and then you're winded. So a better test is a 100m move (or even less)

Quick is supposed to be your "standard" battlefield movement option. It's reasonably speedy, and only moderately tiring. It's generally your best tradeoff. (Fast being appropriate for emergencies or short distances).

Pak40 - troops have an explicit fitness rating. FIT, NORMAL, and WEAKENED, I think. It is not conected to quality rating. That is, you can have weakened crack troops, fit conscripts, or any other combination.

Are Crack troops in better shape than green troops? Will they last longer before tiring out? Childress, time for some more tests :-)

I'm not getting paid for this! On the other hand, maybe it's time to check the Paypal account. You never know....

Next test: vehicle speeds.

I use quick for almost everything bar some special circumstances and I have read many CMx2 veterans do the same.

Move is the sort of command where your guys are in the sort of terrain that you select them all and give a massive group march command. It is also supposed to match the speed of slow vehicles I think.

Slow is tiring but the biggest thing getting your guys spotted and killed in all the other movement types is that they are standing up. I use slow to crawl that last bit up to a ridgeline or treeline.

Crack and Green are separate settings to fitness AIUI so your green troops can be very fit and your crack troops can be exhausted.

Vehicle test. L to R: Truck, H8HMC, Stuart, & the M4AI(mid) the sluggard of the tank group. This test has less meaning than the inf one because it doesn't take into account turning speed and rough terrain aptitude. The map is flat and clear. Result: Fast is faster though not dramatically so and not, oddly for the Sherman. Make of it what you will.

13093049.jpg