NOT got the steel box!!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Iv'e ordered plenty of software from games companies including this one before and have never been caught for this sort of charge, it's my right as a customer to complain when I've been shafted.

I agree... but not by us. If it was up to us you would have 0% Customs Duty assessed, or at least a fair VAT levy. Not the ridiculous extremes I've seen a few people get stuck with. I received hundreds of packages, many 20kg in weight, coming from overseas. Never, ever, ever had to pay extra. We didn't like taxes on imported Tea either :D

At the end of the day Battlefront made NO attempt to point this out on their site when they were pushing their product, therefore it was underhand.

Wrong on two counts. First, we did make an attempt to notify people about the potential of customs fees a couple of weeks before games actually shipped. We changed our order pages to make it clearer where the preorders were shipped form and we put a "Sticky" announcement on this Forum about it as well. We invited people to cancel their orders if they liked. I think around 10 people did. No problem.

Second, it is not in our best interests to have customers pissed off at us for something we have no control over. We did not purposefully withhold information from our customers and actually did the opposite (see first point). Therefore, we did nothing "underhanded".

What we did not do was make a big deal out of this when we first announce Preorders. Why not? Because we didn't think of it. Some discussions with concerned customers, almost all of them from the UK, made us aware of a potential problem that we weren't aware of before. Which is why we changed the ordering info and offered a refund for those who didn't want to risk the chance of getting slapped with duties.

In future we'll make sure the information is available from the very start. As I said, we have no interest in having people pissed at us for things which are outside of our control, so we have every interest in making sure a customer is armed with the best information possible before ordering. But note that forevermore physical preorders will ship out of the United States. It is simply no longer economically and timing wise possible to ship preorders from our German warehouse. Sorry, that's the wonders of ever rising costs and nobody willing to pay for it.

It never ceases to amaze me how any forum I go on there will always be some veteran member blatantly defending that companies poor customer service, they must churn you people out in a factory somewhere!

Probably the same factory that churns out people that would rather rant, yell, and scream at anybody and everybody instead of discussing things rationally.

We're honestly quite unhappy that some customers have had a nasty experience. Knowing that it's a small number doesn't really make it better for anybody. But let's keep things in perspective and understand what the facts instead of lashing about.

Steve

Seems to be some kind of Postcode Lottery going on with UK deliveries. Nearly £40 extra is criminal.

Yes, it does. Am I right in thinking it is only people in the London area who have been hit for this charge, and that the carrier was Parcel Force? I wonder if a complaint to either Royal Mail, Customs or an Ombudsman might yield some positive outcome - especially in light of the fact no one else in the country seems to have had to pay it.

I haven't been downstairs to check the post this morning but as I am expecting it I doubt it will be there. I expect it will turn up when I least expect it. :)

I don't need a lecture from you or anyone else about what I should or shouldn't be looking up in regards to charges from my countries customs.

Iv'e ordered plenty of software from games companies including this one before and have never been caught for this sort of charge, it's my right as a customer to complain when I've been shafted.

At the end of the day Battlefront made NO attempt to point this out on their site when they were pushing their product, therefore it was underhand.

It never ceases to amaze me how any forum I go on there will always be some veteran member blatantly defending that companies poor customer service, they must churn you people out in a factory somewhere!

Quite how you believe Import charges are a responsibility of battlefront is beyond me. the simple fact is - as someone else said - this is just another way for the governments of this world to screw the folks for more money at a time when they are lready screwed so they fill the coffers of banks that put us in this place in the first place. I have ordered many games from the US and frankly the whole thing is so seemingly arbitrary that it does amount to nothing beyond legalised stealing - how they can charge you that much just to release your package is beyond me.

That being said I really fail to see - even though they did - why you think it is battlefronts responsibility to point this out to you. End of the day the answer is simple. Digital download - and screw the authorities for their tax.

Sandy: I am the person responsible for QB Maps in CMBN. A post release bug report was made regarding attacker/defender sides switching. This is happening sometimes and BFC is aware of that. It is not an issue of map design. I gather you are unhappy with your country's postal/customs rules so I expect you are just letting that anger filter into the game play. If QB Maps worked "Less than half the time" I would have been tarred and feathered... much like my forefathers did to the Royal Tax Collectors. ;)

Thanks for sending the save files to NavScout. I have looked at the SandySimmox 002

The setup is Service (aka Country) Random. This most likely accounts for US on both sides that you mentioned earlier. Do you recall if your are defender? If so you're on the right side. If you are the Attacker then it's the bug I mentioned and is being looked at already. I will take a look at your other save files a bit later today and report back what I've found.

This was one of the reasons I went for download only. You just don't know when you're going to get clobbered with these ridiculous charges. Blame successive UK governments, blame the EU for setting VAT in stone, blame the delivery company, but Battlefront can't be expected to be on top of import regulations across the planet.

Download only is the way to go. We all had to learn that the hard way.

The ones coming into London are probably coming through Royal Mail Depot on Axis Park, Slough (Heathrow Distribution centre) think customs are inhouse too, send your letters of complaint there, failing that you could always burn the place down lol. I know customs are at the end of the line in Parcelforce's International Hub in Coventry and Parcelforce can be fined by customs if they let anything slip through without the greedy goverment getting its chunk. My steelbox must have came a different route because no extra charges, just seems for some reason its the London area thats being shafted.

Message to Mark Ezra

Thanks for feedback - I was attacker in that game with Simmox. Also in that one he had all inf, but I thought we had picked mix for both sides??

Message to other posters on UK customs charges - I do realise this is not BF's responsibility directly - but all previous BF games were shipped from Europe to European customers, so no charges - why change?

Or why not list value as the $10 difference between download and hard copy proces (as I specifically asked for); if this was done it would have prevent both extra charges and delays to receipt, and still be legal..)

All very easily done if BF cared about EU customers

Anyway I am now happilly playing the game and have my money's worth even at the "stealbox" price.

BUT...

Compared to CM1 there are still many good things taken out for no good reason:

No limited intelligence - I can immediately identify enemy forces right across the map, tank type, is it an inf HQ?, are they engineers?, etc, etc, far too much info is revealed too quickly at very long ranges (and totally unrealistic) on all settings.

No operations/2 player campaigns

Some crazy tacAI - too many tank crew survivors attacking overwhelming enemy forces with their pistols (at 70 metres range!) and infantry/mgs constantly opening up on buttoned tanks when they should be hiding for self preservation.

However still the best game around on this topic and clearly worth buying.