The Eastern Front next?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ruling European elite consists of people born largely in the 50's who went through university through the late sixties - seventies at the height of the cold war. Their heroes were Mao, Ho Chi Minh, Castro and Che Guevara.

Don't forget free love, great rock and roll and psychedelics. The 60's did have quite a few good points. Having been born in the 50's i would say it ain't so bad. Politics is what it is and draws people (at least it seems mostly) that are more interested in the power than any kind of ideals. If they were still idealistic when they get in, that generally has the life span of a Mayfly. The realities of what is possible and what needs to be bargained usually push all to the mediocre.

Man when did I ever become so cynical...

I'm really only buying CMBN so that I will understand how to play the East Front game when it comes out. Bought CMSF for the same reason but could never get myself to play...

Yes, thanks for dragging this sucker back on track. I got carried away myself there for a bit too.

I also hope that the East Front module is not too far off. I'm curious to play this new iteration and to see how well it will adapt itself to that front. So far it looks very promising.

Be careful what you wish for people....

For all I liked CNBB I think the CMx2 version could be a very different game. One of the biggest changes that we have seen is in command and control (C2) and the importance of battlefield cohesion and communication.

I think this will be the key to making the game realistic in that the russian superiority in numbers will be balanced realistically by terrible C2.

This will mean that as a Russian player a lot of the time you will be either issuing orders to no one or watching your orders being ignored. Certain in a T-34 v PzV battle I suspect that once the hatches close you could find yourself as all but a spectator.

The way to win as the Russians might be to have a solid simple battle plan and to stick to it hoping that the Germans don't do something unexpected and that you can make enough progress before the fog of war gives the advantage to the Germans who will react better.

In effect to win as a Russian you will need to play as a Russian.

If they build it that way and it works they will have made a brillant game, but it might be one that disappoints those people who love Russian hardware and underestimate russian weaknesses.

I remember the frustrations in CMBB of having a tank that could cut a PzIV in half but was scared to face it. If anything I suspect that in CMx2 commanding the Russians will be even more frustrating.....

I like that idea and the challenges it brings, but not everyone will.

Peter.

For all I liked CNBB I think the CMx2 version could be a very different game. One of the biggest changes that we have seen is in command and control (C2) and the importance of battlefield cohesion and communication.

I think this will be the key to making the game realistic in that the russian superiority in numbers will be balanced realistically by terrible C2.

This will mean that as a Russian player a lot of the time you will be either issuing orders to no one or watching your orders being ignored. Certain in a T-34 v PzV battle I suspect that once the hatches close you could find yourself as all but a spectator.

The way to win as the Russians might be to have a solid simple battle plan and to stick to it hoping that the Germans don't do something unexpected and that you can make enough progress before the fog of war gives the advantage to the Germans who will react better.

If they build it that way and it works they will have made a brillant game, but it might be one that disappoints those people who love Russian hardware and underestimate russian weaknesses.

I remember the frustrations in CMBB of having a tank that could cut a PzIV in half but was scared to face it. If anything I suspect that in CMx2 commanding the Russians will be even more frustrating.....

Peter.

I don't know if you played CMSF or not, but being out of C2 does NOT mean that you CANNOT give orders any more. Being out of C2 affects morale, fighting performance, spotting and relaying information. What you will see is that it is really hard to read the battlefield because there will be <?> contact markers everywhere and Russian tanks will more difficult time spotting (if they don't have radios that is, although I suspect by the time of Bagration, this will be less of a problem).

Peter.

I don't know if C2 would be quite so much of a problem for the Russians once they actually got into contact with the enemy. Probably a simple plan would be better and probably their formations would be denser, but in CM terms they would probablyat least mostly get into the battle.

One thing to consider: as the war grinds on past 1943, many of the Red Army's surviving small units did build up enough experience (and confidence) to be able to fight autonomously a bit better than earlier in the war. Perhaps not with a lot of initiative and flair, but enough to know how to go about completing most assigned missions.

Careful Soldat, Steve will end this thread if you talk about potentially competitive products (quite reasonable as BF are fronting this forum).

I think CMBB2 will have quite a few changes, relative spotting will make Pak fronts far more lethal, artillery will kick up dust clouds and tanks will suffer from non-penetrating hits that attrite their capabilities. These will affect all sides.

I think CMBB2 will have quite a few changes, relative spotting will make Pak fronts far more lethal, artillery will kick up dust clouds and tanks will suffer from non-penetrating hits that attrite their capabilities. These will affect all sides.

Not to mention the best change of all, the unbridled GLORY of watching German and Russian SMG squads duke it out at point-blank range in 1:1 detail.

Careful Soldat, Steve will end this thread if you talk about potentially competitive products (quite reasonable as BF are fronting this forum).

Sorry, just wanted to mention the game. Dont know, what so wrong with that. Fans of That games, will defenetly buy CM:BN too. Just like CM:BO, BB, AK.

Well, as far as I am concerned, Panzer Command Kharkov is no real threat to BFC: Yes, the graphics are nice and it has some cool features - like tanks throwing a track and leaving it behind - but the cons way outweigh the pros in my opinion: The biggest cons being that it is real time, not WEGO, and the user interface is very confusing.

I played it for a couple of weeks, then decided I didn´t bother. But that´s just MY opnion.

Oh, and by the way: count me among those players that consider the eastern front "the real thing". But I can live with Normandy

- if it´s released soon ;-)

Not to mention the best change of all, the unbridled GLORY of watching German and Russian SMG squads duke it out at point-blank range in 1:1 detail.

Hopefully they won't act like the CMBB grim-reapers, altogether now volley fire with Papashas!

Well, as far as I am concerned, Panzer Command Kharkov is no real threat to BFC: Yes, the graphics are nice and it has some cool features - like tanks throwing a track and leaving it behind - but the cons way outweigh the pros in my opinion: The biggest cons being that it is real time, not WEGO, and the user interface is very confusing.

I played it for a couple of weeks, then decided I didn´t bother. But that´s just MY opnion.

Oh, and by the way: count me among those players that consider the eastern front "the real thing". But I can live with Normandy

- if it´s released soon ;-)

Downloaded the demo and the UI and camera angles were far too confusing. Didn't bother buying it.

Count me as one of those hoping the next game in this series will focus on the Eastern Front.

+1

I imagine that between the mods and the scenario development, a lot of the West Front possibilities will be provided via CMBN...

I can't wait to fight through Stalingrad following a series of tank battles across the Steppe LOL

I don't know if you played CMSF or not, but being out of C2 does NOT mean that you CANNOT give orders any more.

I thought they added a feature where the icons for out of C2 get grayed out and you can't command the units in question? I'm sure I read that in the online manual as well...

Downloaded the demo and the UI and camera angles were far too confusing. Didn't bother buying it.

Oh, yes - the camera movement. I´d completely forgotten about that. Guess I must have repressed that memory.

The camera movement is absolutely horrible, actually enough to put you off the game alone (from motion sickness).

I thought they added a feature where the icons for out of C2 get grayed out and you can't command the units in question? I'm sure I read that in the online manual as well...

No, you'll never lose control of your units just to lack of C2. That would make the game very frustrating to play, to say the least. ;) You might lose control of them due to morale though.

Incidentally, a couple people, including a previewing reviewer I believe, have misunderstood Iron mode. You don't lose control of units in it. You'll just have a harder time coordinating some actions with them.

I'm pretty sure this is not the case. Unit icons are greyed out if they cannot be controlled, but that's because they are panicked (or something similar) and not because they are out of C2. Unless you can show me the page in manual :).