The Eastern Front next?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be nice to see a number of theaters based on the BN platform. In 'Advanced Squad Leader' terms, there's always the core modules:

- Beyond Valor

- Yanks

- Partisan!

- West of Alamein

- For King and Country

- The Last Hurrah

- Hollow Legions

- Code of Bushido

- Gung Ho!

- Croix de Guerre

- Doomed Batalions

- Armies of Oblivion'

- Hakkaa Päälle (not yet released)

and then everything else . .

The Eastern front is a mammoth task and one that nearly broke the back of Battlefront the last time so don't hold your breath.

Much as I like the t-34 as much as the Sherman, the next logical build is the rest of the war in the west followed by Italy and africa mainly because so much of what is needed in equipment terms is already there.

I full expect them to work on the East in the background as they did with CMBN during CMSF ( I remember seeing a CMSF screen shot with an M-3 in it), but it will be an on going project while things that will generate more revenue for less work pay for it.

As I said elsewhere I'd like a 39-41 game but without American involvement it might not pay that well. Put in the commonwealth and include Cannucks and Aussies and you add a lot of paying customers.

Peter.

Dont understand why? Eastern Front is in my Opinion more interesting than the Battles on Normandy! The Battle of Stalingrad, Kharkow, ...

The most important parts of the War happened on the eastern Front.

BF has explained their reasoning in the past - search for Eastern Front, it should pop up.

As Battlefront as said in the past - the Pacific Theater will not happen. As much as I would like it to, it won't. It's been talked about in several forums - going back to the old CM series.

That's a shame. I wonder why the Pacific always seems to get short shrift in wargaming. Heck, we haven't even had a good carrier game in almost a generation! :mad: Oh well. Guess I'll have to content myself with playing the Rising Storm Pacific mod for Heroes of Stalingrad on those inevitably sultry August nights. :)

Dont understand why? Eastern Front is in my Opinion more interesting than the Battles on Normandy! The Battle of Stalingrad, Kharkow, ...

The most important parts of the War happened on the eastern Front.

I can understand the technical reasons for not taking up the Eastern Front right away. However, I do agree with your point about the importance of the Eastern Front. And I share your interest in that aspect of WW2.

da comrads, everyone knows that soviet russia was the main reason for allied victory against the nazis. only imperialist capitalist propaganda kept us from getting the credit in the west that we deserved. and more to the point, kept us from being first on the list for the return to ww2 for the cm2 engine. if only the great marshal zhukov(no relation) were still alive, he would lead his armies to your game company and force you at gun point if necessary to code the eastern front first! :-p

That's a shame. I wonder why the Pacific always seems to get short shrift in wargaming. Heck, we haven't even had a good carrier game in almost a generation! :mad: Oh well. Guess I'll have to content myself with playing the Rising Storm Pacific mod for Heroes of Stalingrad on those inevitably sultry August nights. :)

I would absolutely love a modern remake of SSG's Carriers At War! I had the original on my Commodore 64 and I can't count the hours I spent playing it! The newer versions improved it, especially with the cool, if rather basic attack animations, but they could really make it great today!

The best Pacific wargame hands down is "WAR in the PACIFIC" by Gary Grigsby. It is of course a massive operational level wargame.

I'll be happy to see Normandy followed by Bulge, then perhaps Med/UK and then Eastern Front. In that sequence we would have the longest possible development time to build up the programming and artwork needed, not to mention taking all the bugs and refining this system up the wazoo. But I too hope that it does not take 5 years...3 or so would be reasonable in my book. I'd like to play the East Front variant while I still remember what it is I'm doing.

Last I have heard, and this is information within these public forums, is that the next "family" of games will be the Bulge (Oct/Nov '44-'45), which covers up to the end of the war. After that it gets a bit hazy. The East Front should be up next (Bagration Summer '44 - end-of-war '45). Possibly being developed concurrently may be the next modern title, CMSF2 (temperate-climate modern warfare, near future).

I believe that Bulge '44-'45 will definitely be next. After that it gets hard to predict exactly what will come out next. I suspect though that you may see Eastern Front within 2 - 2.5 years (as a very rough guess). I don't think it will take 3 years. The CMx2 engine "birthing process" that was CMSF's development and patching probably isn't a good yardstick for future games. However it always seems to take a bit longer than initially guessed to get games/modules out the door. There are also other game features (graphics, game play and AI) that may take a bit longer to code, possibly delaying some of the games/modules.

The future "expectation" is that there will be a bit of concurrent development going on with games and modules. With a second programmer on hand the module development may come a bit faster (though it still takes quite a bit of effort to do all those models and animations). Hopefully things will come a bit faster in the future, but that is always hard to consistently gauge.

Anyhting with American troops sells better than the EastFront...

You're probably right, though I suspect (or hope) that would apply more to the causal wargame player. Seems that most Americans conception of WW2 is that of American troops landing on the Normandy Beaches and then holding out against the Hun hordes at the Battle of the Bulge.

Shame...EastFront is my bad too...so it's a long wait....I just hope I'm not dead before it's released...oh to be 25 again then I know I have enough time...

Well I just turned 60 recently and stil feel confident I'm going to be around to enjoy it when it is released.:D