Germans carrying rifles...

Hello folks!

Sorry to nitpick, but I gotta speak now or forever hold my peace...

Most Germans carried their rifles in their right hand, gripped near the rear sight like a briefcase, when they were on the move - countless photos and footage show this. If it's not too late to code this animation, it would make things look even more realistic!

Hello folks!

Most Germans carried their rifles in their right hand, gripped near the rear sight like a briefcase, when they were on the move - countless photos and footage show this. If it's not too late to code this animation, it would make things look even more realistic!

This has been mentioned several times and for the life of me i can't remember what BF's answer was. I agree though for authenticity it would be nice to see the Germans doing just that.

Anyway scan the forum and i'm sure you will find the answer

Yeah...

Feature #547 to add "Soldiers smoking after battle"

Feature #548 to add "Special animation for germans carrying their rifles on the move"

Feature #549 to add "Special animation for soldiers scratching their nuts"

:D

Why would germans carrying their rifles on the move be classed as a special animation? Surely all the Infantry in the game are carrying their weapons whilst on the move.

I'm not a programmer/coder but is it that diffucult to have the germans carrying their weapon in one hand as oppoed to the allies who have it in two?

I'm not a programmer/coder but is it that diffucult to have the germans carrying their weapon in one hand as oppoed to the allies who have it in two?

It's that much more work. Animations are not a trivial amount of work. Even the simplest things can be a gigantic PITA to get working in a game when those animations have to mesh with everything else. I know because I occasionally dabble in it with 3ds max, and it's given me a new appreciation for the work of animators. :)

Brilliant indeed!

and for the "soldier scratching their nuts"-animation...I know from countless tv-documentation, books, secret documents of WW2, pictures and footage, that the german soldiers only used their left hand for the scratching...

so no authentic game without left-hand-scratching!

It's that much more work. Animations are not a trivial amount of work. Even the simplest things can be a gigantic PITA to get working in a game when those animations have to mesh with everything else. I know because I occasionally dabble in it with 3ds max, and it's given me a new appreciation for the work of animators. :)

Don't get me wrong i have high admiration for the guys associated with this game. I just wonder why it's more difficult to have one side have one hand on the weapon as opposed to the other having two.

As i said i'm not in the industry and know bugger all about it. :-)

Don't get me wrong i have high admiration for the guys associated with this game. I just wonder why it's more difficult to have one side have one hand on the weapon as opposed to the other having two.

As i said i'm not in the industry and know bugger all about it. :-)

Because that requires a new pose, and then all the existing animations need to work and transition smoothly with it. So you'd be working on essentially all of the animations, not just one new one. I hope they do get it in at some point, as it's very distinctive and cool looking.

Brilliant indeed!

and for the "soldier scratching their nuts"-animation...I know from countless tv-documentation, books, secret documents of WW2, pictures and footage, that the german soldiers only used their left hand for the scratching...

You are quite correct, in general terms. However, I have on my bookshelves a copy of Kesslering's memoirs and in the background of a photo one can see a member of the 71st Infantry Division scratching his nuts with his right hand. Now, the 71st was transferred to France in September 1944, so, clearly, any scenario or QB involving units from that formation will need their own animations. Otherwise the game will be broken.

Can I also say at this point, so that it doesn't become an issue later, that certain infantry regiments in the British army, most notablly the "Rifle" or "Light Infantry" types also carried thie rifles with only one hand whilst marching. They also moved at 140 paces to the minute as opposed to the standard 120 paces (110 for Highland Regiments). There were not, however, any special regimental traditions about how soldiers scratch their testicals. I trust when the Commonwealth/Nearly CommonWealth/21 AG/Brits+Canadians and some other guys expansion module comes out we will see accurate animations.

Because that requires a new pose, and then all the existing animations need to work and transition smoothly with it. So you'd be working on essentially all of the animations, not just one new one. I hope they do get it in at some point, as it's very distinctive and cool looking.

The penny has dropped thanks :-)

You are quite correct, in general terms. However, I have on my bookshelves a copy of Kesslering's memoirs and in the background of a photo one can see a member of the 71st Infantry Division scratching his nuts with his right hand. Now, the 71st was transferred to France in September 1944, so, clearly, any scenario or QB involving units from that formation will need their own animations. Otherwise the game will be broken.

[...]

Ahhh the guys from the 71st Infantry Division...the so called "right-scratcher"...nobody in the wehrmacht liked those guys..weirdos...tze...scratching with the right hand...

Brilliant indeed!

And what about if it is just an "adjust" not a full on scratch?

well adjusting is a complete different story...it was of course allowed to use the right hand for proper adjusting...so if BFC will proclaim, that animation number 1,000,549 (nuts-scratchy) will be only an adjustment I perhaps will buy the game...at last I want a historical authentic WW2 simulation...

so waiting for the word from BFC before preordering ;)

Surely, given the typical conditions at the frontline in WW2, any such scratching in the genitalia region is more likely to be due the effects of body lice rather than simply "re-adjustment"? In which case the soldiers are most likely to employ the traditional 'doubled-handed' scratch, are they not?

Please note that the myth of the German 71st right-handed story was due to this outfit receiving late-war reinforcements from war wounded who had suffered the loss of their "sinister testicular" on the Ostfront. There was no need for them scratch with both hands.

Incidently, are crabs and other body lice modelled in-game as individuals, or simply as groups?

Incidently, are crabs and other body lice modelled in-game as individuals, or simply as groups?

Originally it was proposed to model them individually, but when the numbers were crunched it was realized that the average PC today simply lacks the computational power. Perhaps in another five years...

For now, one louse onscreen represents one hundred lice on the soldier.

Michael

Does this mean the things crawling on my scalp (damn buggers!) can also end up in other hairy areas? Or is it a German thing?

no you are safe, genital and follicular lice live are different and do not migrate. Perhaps the CM:Parasites module will break up the generic 100 into their sub-species?

Hello folks!

You mean like this?

German_Soldier___Running_by_Wykdtron.jpg

german_soldier_running.jpg

Germans_in_Stalingrad.jpg