Should Tigers be Rare?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aren't rarity points separate from purchase points in CMBN?

Even if they are (and that's what I've gathered from the various knowledgable folks on here), if you get 12 rarity points and a Tiger takes 6 where a IV(H) takes 1, you can get (assuming you have the purchase points) the 2 and 12 MikeyD mentions. If there were armour that had zero rarity cost, you could fill your entire OOB (subject to whatever other limits the QB system might apply) with it. I'm guessing too that a Tiger doesn't cost 6 times the purchase points of a IV(H)

If there were armour that had zero rarity cost, you could fill your entire OOB (subject to whatever other limits the QB system might apply) with it.

Yeah, I was going on the assumption that the most common units would have zero rarity (as they did in CMx1 games), so you could burn all 12 rarity points (to use your example) on 2 Tiger Is and then still purchase a few IV Hs with whatever purchase points were left over.

So I guess the question is: do even the most common units in CMBN cost a minimum number of rarity points?n MikeyD's post suggests they do.

I don't think US forces clashed with tigers within the timeframe of this release, so rarity should be set at 'non-existant'

really ? are you sure ? they were around since last 1942 IIRC , stating the obvious they were kicking aboot africa for a while. CMBN scope it up to Sept 44 ? , US must have come across a single Tiger in this time period.

Not that it matters , they are in the first release thankfully , would be madness to leave them out , its a selling point.

Pardon my history, but didnt the US first encounter the Tiger in Africa? Am I wrong to remember it was in the Kasserine Pass?

No, you're correct. February 20, 1943 was when the Americans with their high-sillouhette M3 Lee and Grants met Tigers for the first time. The German tanks were commanded by Lieutenant General Heinz Ziegler. 44 of 51 of the 3rd Battalion, 1st Armored Regiment Sherman's were destroyed in one action. Not a good day for US tank commanders but then again their tactics were wrong ... they attempted one-on-one fights with the German armour, whereas the Germans attacked in wolf-packs of tanks that overwhelmed individuals.

Just to be picky, naval artillery would not have have been able to reach the Falaise pocket. But you did just jog my memory. I think some Tigers were committed to the Mortain counterattack. I do not recall that they made contact with US ground forces. As I recall, they were strafed by Allied fighter bombers—probably RAF—and were abandoned, in many cases with no damage.

Michael

Yes but did they encounter one in Normandy is the question.

Well the Tigers present were in SS PZAbt101 (Wittmann), SS PzAbt102 and PzAbt503 (1 coy Tiger 2) They all fought between Cean and Falaise. Basically they could avoid the encirclement in the area of Falaise. So the chance they were on a one on one fire fight with US troop is pretty low. But do we want only historical battles and scenarios? Or is it fun to play what if scenario’s too? But if people are a bit masochistic here we can ask BF to leave the shiny uber cool looking Tiger out this release and wait for it another 6 months until the Commonwealth release :D

But do we want only historical battles and scenarios? Or is it fun to play what if scenario’s too?

Since you ask, most of my play has been of situations not strictly historical, but historically plausible. In other words, there may have never been this exact lineup on this exact terrain, but there could have been. So by that logic, while it would be plausible for US troops to be fighting SS in BN (if they were included), it is not plausible for them to be fighting against SS Tigers.

Michael