Find this a tad disturbing...

From the CM:BfN announcement thread.

"Play the game as you want, against the AI in Realtime or Turn Based Mode or against another Human player in Realtime TCP/IP or WeGo in PBEM (Play by Email) and Hotseat."

I thought we were getting wego tcp-ip finally? Steve said it would be without replay... which is unfortunate but I'd rather have wego tcpip without replay than no wego tcpip at all!

I and plenty of others find PBEM incredibly tedious and RT simply does not allow for battalion sized battles.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some crude workarounds: Add a universal orders pause, so one can order multiple orders and execute them at the same time for coordinated attacks (Pause exists for individual units but its hard to micromanage ). Add customizable "time limit" for QBs and scenarios played online so we can have time for a phone call or simply more time to graps the situation. Right now QBs set the time limit automaticaly and 30mins for a med/small battle is nothing when time is rolling unpaused.

Yes I feel your pain. Unfortunately it is not quite a priority option. It is on their list but it is a long one. We will just have to support the product now in the hope that future releases can have this great option/feature.

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=94338

in my eyes others should support the product as long as they get fun out of it. i thought the same actually, i wanted to support BFC with money, but its taking too long for my taste and purse. i will not buy 10 years worth of CMx2 titles and modules befor i can play multiplayer the way i like, if ever.

now, what do i do with a huge bunch of single player games once TCP/IP WEGO made it in another few years from now? exactly, absolutely nothing.

so the single player and RT crowd can carry the game with their money up to the point it gets TCP/IP WEGO with replay. at that point i am back in with my money.

Nobody's asking you to 'support the manufacturer'. Just buy the game when it comes out if you think you can get your money's worth of fun from it. If you decide to not purchase CM:BN because it doesn't do Wego tc/ip, or because it doesn't make you flapjacks in the morning, that's your decision. Nobody's twisting your arm.

TCP/IP WeGo, without Replay, was intended for CM:BN. However, here we are... nearly a year over schedule, and this feature isn't in. We're not interested in keeping everybody waiting so a feature that appeals to a minority can be added. If we prioritized things like that the game would never be done.

This doesn't mean the feature isn't important, nor that we're oblivious that to some people this is the defining thing they are waiting for. It just means what we've always said... we can't be all things to all people all the time. Someone will always be disappointed with any decision we make. But if I had to hazard a guess, more people would be upset to have the game delayed even by one day for TCP/IP WeGo than will be upset to have the game ship without it.

Life is all about compromises. Players can choose not to compromise, but we can't.

TCP/IP WeGo without playback will be in the game at some point. I'm hoping it can be added to CM:BN as it was to CMBO. But I can't make any promises because we have honestly not detailed what will be added post release. We're too busy at the moment.

Steve

Nobody's asking you to 'support the manufacturer'. Just buy the game when it comes out if you think you can get your money's worth of fun from it. If you decide to not purchase CM:BN because it doesn't do Wego tc/ip, or because it doesn't make you flapjacks in the morning, that's your decision. Nobody's twisting your arm.

Exactly. Reminds me of the huge dust-up we had when we announced the first CMx2 game was going to be Modern and not WW2. We didn't ask diehard WW2 fans to purchase CM:SF, nor did we expect them too. We did expect Modern warfare fans, or "Modern curious", to purchase CM:SF because that is who we made the game for. The success or failure of CM:SF was all about them, not the WW2 guys. So when the WW2 guys told us they wouldn't buy CM:SF the simple answer back to them was... "we're not expecting you to".

Steve

well its more like i have to twist my own arm to not buy it.

Any chance we can wait a few extra months and get "TCP?IP WeGo with playback"?

thats what i hope for, as i see no point in TCP/IP WEGO without replay.

OK - BF answered your question, addressed your issue. We good here? Or do you plan to bring this issue up in yet another thread?

lobbying for TCP/IP WEGO with replay will never stop!!!

lobbying for TCP/IP WEGO with replay will never stop!!!

No but it does "our" cause no good when multiple threads are diverted onto this topic by near simultaneous posts from an individual (esp. when it appears he doesn't read the various responses).

Even when someone outside "the BTS/BFC camp" (i.e. not a Beta Tester or an employee or a "fan boy"/"sycophant") posts a link to a discussion that pretty much exhausted it.

Yeah, we know the lobbying will never stop. But it is also completely unnecessary. We know it's an important feature to a fair number of people and we're not going to forget that. Lobbying won't make it happen any quicker just as not lobbying will make it happen any later. It will get in when we feel we can get it in, no sooner and no later.

BTW, we have no plans to even attempt TCP/IP WeGo with playback. We would like to do it with playback, of course, so it is on our minds. But unlike TCP/IP WeGo without playback, it's not on a ToDo List.

Steve

I only play offline/RT.................but what is "TCP/IP"?

FYI, TCP/IP is basically where you load up a game on your computer, then you give your friend your computer's IP number, then your friend goes into his or her game, punches in your IP and your computers are connected directly to each other. I play Civ 4 TCP/IP with several friends and you can currently play CMSF TCP/IP RT but not We Go which is the turn based option when selecting your mode of play.

FYI, TCP/IP is basically where you load up a game on your computer, then you give your friend your computer's IP number, then your friend goes into his or her game, punches in your IP and your computers are connected directly to each other. I play Civ 4 TCP/IP with several friends and you can currently play CMSF TCP/IP RT but not We Go which is the turn based option when selecting your mode of play.

Yes its like the hotseat option except you both have your own machines (rather than taking turns at “a” machine) or like PBEM except you aren’t waiting for your opponents turn to arrive “in the mail”.

TCP/IP (Transmission Control Protocol / Internet Protocol if you really want to know, which is part of the “Transport Layer or Layer 4 or layer 4 of the 7 layer OSI model - but I suspect you didn’t want to know that :)) is a network protocol and this is the means of communication used to connect the two machines.

TCP/IP allowed you to plot your turns on your computer and your opponent does the same on his. His could be in the same room as yours, the same house, or further (depending on your TCP/IP links). Then, you hit "GO". There can be a time limit for the orders phase to keep you both moving. Then you watch the fun... The AI is replaced by your opponent, but it is not the clickfest that RT can become. As well, the reduced control of WeGo forces you to watch and not be able to intervene as your opponent unleashes a surprise move on your forces. :) A lot of fun.

The replay allows you to watch the action from different angles, etc., during your orders phase.

The MAIN benefit of TCP/IP play is the increase in speed of play without losing the WeGo aspect.

Ken

Indeed it IS sad news (even if it's not really new news) when a feature that made the previous series of games absolutely unique is dropped. There were and are a lot of RT games out there but as far as I know the CM system with WEGO and TCP/IP was the only one of it's kind and when combined with all the other virtues of CM... well, it was great fun.

The people I've had contact with both personally and through my CM website (The Byte Battler) all seemed to play a lot of TCP/IP play, and though we probably are a minority (I've never actually seen any figures on this, has there been a poll or customer survey or something at some point?) we sure as hell were an active minority what with tournaments and scenario manufacture to suit the TCP/IP gamers etc

So; will the lobbying for the full WEGO TCP/IP now stop? I don't think so, especially considering how fluid the game scene is, even in this small corner of it things have changed a lot over a comperatively short time. Many things that was once stated as improbable or even impossable has come to pass.

As long as these lobbyists express themselves in a calm and reasonable manner I don't see why this should be a bad thing, hoping against hope is a great tradition.

Derfel,

I agree wholeheartedly with your comments, but could I make a couple of my own?

" Indeed it IS sad news (even if it's not really new news) when a feature that made the previous series of games absolutely unique is dropped."

On another thread Steve got quite sniffy when I suggested a brilliant feature had been dropped. It would appear that CM:BN is not the next iteration of BF's unique series of games, it is, in fact, a completely new game. Therefore nothing has been dropped.

"As long as these lobbyists express themselves in a calm and reasonable manner I don't see why this should be a bad thing,"

Its not a bad thng, it is simply a waste of time and energy. Some years ago BF made a strategic decision that real time was more important to them than their hitherto unique selling point. They did so for reasons that made sense to them. One can regret their choice, as I do, but not criticise it. However the effect is that we will not have full WEGO TCP/IP in any foreseeable timeframe, if ever - as indeed Steve has made clear above. So to carry on lobbying for it will be futile.