RoW II: The Boots & Tracks Brawl (Part VI)

Hi Scott,

Just read Toms comments.

Yep It helps big time when you are the attacker to know exactly what the defender has and where it might be.

The game is balanced by Fog of War if played blind. And god does the defender need it.

My point is that in my game the attacker used his artillery poorly and my point is that if the attacker uses his artillery well then this game is a hard one for the defender to win.

It is great playing it again and seeing if my view was correct. However that view can always be changed when playing different people and with luck which is ever present in the game.

H

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK then, I'm hard at work crunching scores. Below is the input file I'm using. If you see an incorrect score for one of your games, speak up. The results will be posted within a couple hours.

# Emilville_Exit

Tero 13 Fate 87

Mikeydz 36 a1steaks 64

JonS 30 Big_X 69

Frunze 31 Juha_A 66

Heavy_Drop 26 Saport 66

Cuzn 9 TabPub 88

Mike8g 31 Wadepm 67

Cpl_Carrot 31 Strider 68

Jim_Liang 16 Visom 83

Michael_Reddy 54 Jack Trap 46

Ali 75 Lopaka 25

Holien 69 The_Capt 31

MickOZ 13 Combined_Arms 86

Spanish_Bombs 17 Kanonier_R 80

U8led 10 Jeb 90

Jon_L 22 Vadr 77

# Lab_Rats_In_Norway

Tero 24 Boris 68

a1steaks 57 Cpt_T 43

mPisi 62 White4 38

Frunze 59 JonS 41

Big_X 12 Juha_A 88

Heavy_Drop 61 JJelinek 39

Mike8g 50 Cuzn 43

TabPub 14 Wadepm 86

Jim_Liang 44 Cpl_Carrot 48

Strider 21 Visom 79

Bertram 12 Jack Trap 88

Holien 36 Ali 64

Lopaka 47 The_Capt 45

Spanish_Bombs 50 MickOZ 50

Combined_Arms 37 Kanonier_R 63

Jon_L 69 U8led 31

Jeb 27 Vadr 58

# North_Of_Epron

Boris 43 Fate 57

JonS 32 Juha_A 68

Big_X 69 Frunze 31

JJelinek 26 Saport 74

Hobo 66 Heavy_Drop 33

TabPub 78 Mike8g 22

Cpl_Carrot 60 Visom 36

Strider 23 Jim_Liang 77

EASY_V 29 Jack Trap 71

Bertram 50 Michael_Reddy 47

Ali 67 The_Capt 33

Lopaka 23 Holien 77

MickOZ 52 Kanonier_R 48

Combined_Arms 58 Spanish_Bombs 38

U8led 64 Vadr 36

Jeb 23 Jon_L 77

Treeburst155 out.

Below are the Nabla scores for each individual scenario. With this list you can see who the "Scenario Champions" were. This may be of some interest to the non-prize eligible players.

"Emilville Exit"

Ali 1.15

Holien 1.11

Michael_Reddy 0.92

Jeb 0.85

TabPub 0.84

Fate 0.78

Combined_Arms 0.77

Visom 0.68

Kanonier_R 0.61

Vadr 0.44

Mikeydz 0.35

Frunze 0.15

Mike8g 0.12

Cpl_Carrot 0.09

Saport 0.02

JonS 0.02

Heavy_Drop -0.02

Big_X -0.02

Strider -0.09

Wadepm -0.12

Juha_A -0.15

a1steaks -0.35

Jon_L -0.44

Spanish_Bombs -0.61

Jim_Liang -0.68

MickOZ -0.77

Tero -0.78

Cuzn -0.86

U8led -0.87

Jack_Trap -0.98

The_Capt -1.42

Lopaka -1.60

"Labrats in Norway"

Juha_A 1.05

Jack_Trap 1.05

Wadepm 1.03

Visom 0.93

Jon_L 0.82

Boris 0.80

mPisi 0.64

Vadr 0.62

Heavy_Drop 0.60

Ali 0.57

Kanonier_R 0.53

Frunze 0.53

a1steaks 0.46

Mike8g 0.30

Lopaka 0.18

Spanish_Bombs 0.12

Jim_Liang 0.00

Cpl_Carrot 0.00

MickOZ -0.12

The_Capt -0.18

Cuzn -0.30

Cpt_T -0.46

JonS -0.53

Combined_Arms -0.53

Holien -0.57

JJelinek -0.60

Jeb -0.62

White4 -0.64

Tero -0.80

U8led -0.83

Strider -0.99

TabPub -1.18

Big_X -1.23

Bertram -1.23

"North Of Epron"

Jon_L 0.93

Jim_Liang 0.93

Holien 0.93

TabPub 0.89

Saport 0.88

Jack_Trap 0.83

Juha_A 0.76

Big_X 0.70

Ali 0.65

Hobo 0.63

U8led 0.55

Cpl_Carrot 0.48

Fate 0.43

Combined_Arms 0.41

MickOZ 0.01

Michael_Reddy 0.01

Kanonier_R -0.01

Bertram -0.01

Spanish_Bombs -0.41

Boris -0.43

Visom -0.48

Vadr -0.55

Heavy_Drop -0.63

The_Capt -0.65

Frunze -0.70

JonS -0.76

EASY_V -0.84

JJelinek -0.92

Mike8g -0.93

Strider -0.99

Lopaka -0.99

Jeb -0.99

Next, the final Nabla Scores of the prize eligible players, thus giving us our champions:

Tourney One

Ali...0.790

Holien...0.490

The_Capt...-0.750

Lopaka...-0.803

Tourney Two

Kanonier Reichmann...0.377

Combined Arms...0.217

MickOZ...-0.293

Spanish Bombs...-0.300

Tourney Three

Jon L...0.437

Vadr...0.170

Jeb...-0.253

U8led...-0.383

Congratulations to Ali, Kanonier Reichmann, and Jon L!! You three are the ROW II Champions! Ali and Kanonier will receive the wines, and Jon L will receive the three VCR war movies. WineCape and I will be in touch very soon to get your physical addresses.

Note: A score of 1.0 would be a win at the level of the standard deviation from the median. A score of 0 would mean you were on the median. Negative scores mean below median.

If you finished all three games (reported a score), and would like to know your final Nabla score, simply add your scores for each scenario (posted above) and divide by three. You may find you did rather well compared to the prize eligible players.

Treeburst155 out.

Done,

;)

As I was... (He He He)

Thanks TB for all your efforts and time it is a big commitment and I do enjoy them.

To play the games against such great opponents is the cream cake for me.

:D

The memories of White4 and the mountains,

the battle against JK and his banter in the first one,

the slow winter assualt with KF,

the banter with CDIC and horror of the night,

the speed with which Wolfie fell,

the luck of non bogging stugs,

the use of 88's,

the damn Tigers and that fine chap from NZ....

I could go on and on, but all those are worth far more than a few bottles (as fine as they might be) from SA.

;)

Well thats what I will be saying to myself as I cry myself to sleep. :(

Cheers and thanks for all the fish...

H

P.s. I just got a hug and a well done from my babe, she is going to comfort me....

;)

Night all....

[ December 15, 2002, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: Holien ]

Wow, I thought I got hosed in the finals, but I as far as Nabla scores, I'm barely below the median, and slightly better than I did in the regular season.

Sure I lost as Allies in Emilville Exit, but so did everybody else, and they weren't playing against an UberFinn....I got no excuse for getting wiped out north of Epron, though.

Now it's time to announce the names of the scenario designers who brought you the final round. They are:

Emilville Exit - Wyatt "wwb" Barnett

Lab Rats In Norway - Kevin Kinscherf

North of Epron - David "Stix" James

Thanks, guys! Thanks also to the entire Boots & Tracks design team for making the tourney possible.

The scenarios each have a separate thread on the scenario forum. Feel free to head on over and have your say about the scenarios. The feedback is always appreciated.

Treeburst155 out.

Originally posted by Frunze:

Sure I lost as Allies in Emilville Exit, but so did everybody else, and they weren't playing against an UberFinn....I got no excuse for getting wiped out north of Epron, though.

I was Far from Uber myself :mad: -pointed to stupid self

My infamous greed cost me another game (remember that mass-murderer StuG?)

Hell, I don't know what else should I have done in that scenario. Of course I'm wondering what the hell others did! :D

Anyway, I made a quick calculations about our "shadow finals"-section:

Juha 1,66

Frunze -0,02

BigX -0.55

JonS -1,27

I think I must be pleased about my performance, but still...

Methinks a rematch will be in order with You Frunze. Some day....

-Juha

CONGRATS TO ALI + KR + JON_L!!!!!

Ali and KR, send me your full delivery address at WineCape@global.co.za]WineCape@global.co.za so that I can post your 6-bottle wine prizes. Do you guys want a mix of South African whites/reds, or just the former/latter? Let me know.

A great thanks to all the participants for your participation and to Mike Meinecke, without whom this will not be possible at such pleasurable levels.

RoW III (CMBB) is kicking off in Jan. '03, so hope to see some of you guys there battling it out on a new game platform.

Sincerely,

Charl Theron

header_Winelands02.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

</font>

I have never read a review that made me less sure of humanity's ability to finish out the decade, let alone the next millenium.

Obviously this 'Reviewer' [of CMBB] is capable of using a computer, and even finding employment (or at least the right to display their almost inspired lack of intelligence under the auspices of an organization), but it's equally clear that they're both incapable, and unashamed of their inability, to actually come to grips with something that requires more intelligent focus and mental participation than an arcade game. On this planet thousands are daily made homeless, crippled, and even killed in pointless and heart-rending incidents of political, ethnic and religious conflict. If any such incident had managed to whack this reviewer, we'd have to consider it worth the anguishSeanachai, CMBB Forum, 10/12/2002.

[ December 16, 2002, 06:52 AM: Message edited by: WineCape ]

Thank you very much Mike for all your efforts in making the tournament happen and slavishly posting updates throughout as well as calculating the scores etc. It must be a labour of love because why else would you do it? One must also not forget Nabla who created the basis on which to score "unbalanced" scenario's in the first place.

Thanks also to Charl for his generosity in providing such an impressive prize for being lucky enough to scrape through the 2nd round. I'm certainly looking forward to sampling some fine wines from South Africa (and comparing them with our fine local selection from the Barossa Valley & McLaren Vale).

Finally, without the scenario's there would be no ROW II in the first place so the efforts of Kevin, Wyatt & Stix are also greatly appreciated in designing the field of battle in the first place... although I have a small bone to pick with Stix as I thought North of Epron was pretty brutal for the Germans! ;)

Regards

Jim R.

Just wanted to add my thanks to Mike, Carl and the intrepid scenario designers for another great tourney.... outstanding effort as usual!

And don't listen to KR... as his opponent in North of Epron, I think his men didn't suffer nearly enough. And what an oversight, Jim, in not mentioning the Hunter and Margaret River in your ode to local Aussie vino! :D Typical South Australian chauvinism!

Never heard of the Hunter Valley & Margaret River. Are they known for their beetroot growing areas?

One area I should most definitely have mentioned was the Coonawarra however. The best damn reds in the world are produced there (not that I've tasted any South African wines yet so I may have to withold my judgement).

Regards

Jim R.