RoW II: The Boots & Tracks Brawl (Part VI)

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Commo difficulties continue. Boris apparently never got a turn my machine shows as properly sent,

while I got an "unknown host" E-mail bounce when I tried to inform Fate that not only had I gotten the turn he was asking about, but had already sent him my turn in reply.

Boris, I've resent the turn. Fate, has your E-mail address changed? If not, I wonder why E-mail to you would bounce. Tero, where are you?

Regards,

John Kettler

Fate and Boris,

I have tried yet again to send you the turns, only to again fail because of the bizarre Command RCPT

User not local problem. Fate, your E-mail address

was keyed in perfectly and displays properly. Frankly, I believe the problem is the seismic squeeze I've described. Unfortunately, that means I can do nothing until something lets go within the crust, thus relieving the rock strain which is presumably generating all the piezoelectric interference.

Tero,

Nothing from you in days, but since I can't E-mail, maybe it's moot.

Regards,

John Kettler

Fate,

I'll check, but the settings worked fine before (some three days ago) and haven't been changed since. As for my ISP, history shows the problem is rarely there. Besides, that fails to explain how AOL also fails to work, and it uses a wholly different browser, routers, etc. There are days neither Netscape nor AOL works, some where only AOL

connects, and some when both do. If Netscape works, AOL invariably also connects, but the opposite is not true. Suffice it say that the phenomenon baffles several of my power user friends. Sorry for the incredibly aggravating delays.

Treeburst155, if I'm holding up the Finals, you are of course welcome to step in and designate someone to finish my games. I'd strongly prefer to finish my own fights, but believe me when I say I'd understand.

Regards,

John Kettler

We're not at the panic stage yet, John. Do what you can to get going. Besides, a FEW uncompleted games among non-prize eligible sections will be OK because every scenario is being played 22 times. If that count slips even to 15 or so, we still get a decent median to work with.

Speaking of unfinished games and withdrawals, von Lucke has had to withdraw due to severe computer problems. Judging from his posts to the technical forum, I'd say his hard drive is shot.

I haven't yet decided if I should even try to do anything about his withdrawal. His opponents will each miss out on one scenario, but the effect on scoring the prize eligible sections is negligible as explained above.

If you are in von Lucke's section, I will be emailing you.

Fight On!!

Treeburst155 out.

I

Okay, here's the latest.

Tero, I got your turn 27, which I did not have. Thanks!

Boris and Fate, for hours on end today I couldn't get online at all, hence, could not have even posted here. Happily, at least that seems to be working now. Unhappily, the cursed outbound E-mail problem remains. Worse, the CD is again not being detected. Worked fine before. Grr.

Treeburst155, I appreciate your confidence.

Regards,

John Kettler

Originally posted by John Kettler:

Okay, here's the latest.

Tero, I got your turn 27, which I did not have. Thanks!

Boris and Fate, for hours on end today I couldn't get online at all, hence, could not have even posted here. Happily, at least that seems to be working now. Unhappily, the cursed outbound E-mail problem remains. Worse, the CD is again not being detected. Worked fine before. Grr.

Treeburst155, I appreciate your confidence.

Regards,

John Kettler

John just sent you again file # 36

Let me know by posting it hear.

Should I zip them?

SitRep follows:

Contacted my ISP's tech support and had the line checked. No problems reported with connecting; no servers down. Also checked dial tone quality by using handset on fax/copier. Clear tone.

Am still having the much referenced outgoing E-mail problem, which has ZERO to do with what my foes are sending me or the format. Simply put, every time I try to E-mail something, I get the "Command RCPT user not local and relaying not permitted from you" error message, which is rapidly driving me mad. Ability to get online today has been sporadic, and perceived bandwidth limited, so that simple activities seem to take a long time.

I have a turn waiting in Drafts for each of my foes, but presently am unable to get those turns to E-mail. Am I frustrated? You bet! Yet I remain hopeful that whatever's strangling my computer will release. At least today the CD drive's being read. That's how I was able to view the mutual carnage in my battle against Tero.

Regards,

John Kettler

Still no joy with E-mailing on Netscape, but a test message on AOL apparently was successful, in that I didn't get an immediate error message. Sadly, an attempt to send a small turn (18K) the same way failed miserably.

Regards,

John Kettler

Just a thought try zipping the files and then send them? :confused:

Success!!! What AOL wouldn't do last night, it for some reason did today, or so it's claiming. The text message I E-mailed on AOL last night did get through. I have confirmation from the recipient. I sent out turns to each of my three foes, and they are the proper turns, too. Foes, please reply to my relaypoint E-mail address, not AOL. That'll make my life simpler.

KR, I appreciate the suggestions and have been trying to figure out how to implement them on this end. Also, I plan to have a friend over who has an identical model iMac with the same OS as mine for tests where my computer sits. Further, I plan to explore via our main phone line in another room whether there's something happening on/near this desk that is highly localized in terms of where the interference occurs.

Regards,

John Kettler

[ November 28, 2002, 04:06 PM: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

Success!!! What AOL wouldn't do last night, it for some reason did today, or so it's claiming. The text message I E-mailed on AOL last night did get through. I have confirmation from the recipient. I sent out turns to each of my three foes, and they are the proper turns, too. Foes, please reply to my relaypoint E-mail address, not AOL. That'll make my life simpler.

KR, I appreciate the suggestions and have been trying to figure out how to implement them on this end. Also, I plan to have a friend over who has an identical model iMac with the same OS as mine for tests where my computer sits. Further, I plan to explore via our main phone line in another room whether there's something happening on/near this desk that is highly localized in terms of where the interference occurs.

Regards,

John Kettler

John I got your email and I made my move and sent it back to you. :D