Animations you'd like to see

Mord

What I meant by take for granted is you guys probably don't know that different weapons require different hand positions. Not just for one animation, but for nearly every single animation set there is. Want a guy handling a MP 40 correctly? Animation sets for that weapon position are needed for crawling, dismounting, vaulting over a wall, kneeling, running, etc. And any position where firing/loading can happen requires its own set. Firing prone, kneeling, and standing in this case. Then we have to make transitions between them all, so a soldier going from standing to prone with a MP 40 looks right.

What this means is for every new action we add we have a ton of work to do that has little to do with the action itself. But obviously it's worth doing because when we compare it to Moe, Larry, and Curley it's a massive improvement for atmosphere and conveying information to the player. So each release there will be a few new animation sets to see in action.

Steve

I think it would be nice to get some new animations/effects that have to with vehicles, not just new soldier animations. For example when a moving truck gets hit and becomes immobilized or destroyed, there could be some variety in how it stops. Some could move a bit longer and then stop. Or some might continue driving straight ahead, some might turn to left or right.

I think it would be nice to get some new animations/effects that have to with vehicles, not just new soldier animations. For example when a moving truck gets hit and becomes immobilized or destroyed, there could be some variety in how it stops. Some could move a bit longer and then stop. Or some might continue driving straight ahead, some might turn to left or right.

That wouldn't need animation fortunatly just some scripting, CMx1 had it as I recall.

3d animation's a pain as I found way back when I was messing around with modling, lots of devs are just going straight to renting a MOCAP now probably a bit pricy for BFC though.

So how would you script this in any CM game?

Of course you *could* add more animations that have to do with tanks etc. - turrets blown off and similar - I just thought that modifying movement paths and similar existing features might be less time consuming than making vehicle specific animations to N+1 3d models.

I think some randomness in vehicle movement would improve game play, because you couldn't predict things so accurately.

Kicking in doors

And some sort of animation to go with the Blast command (other than the pixeltruppen just going prone and "hiding"). And a leaning-in-to-throw-a-grenade-through-a-door-or-around-a-corner animation.

This discussion reminds me of the "things you'd like to see in CM:SF 2" thread I've been wanting to start.

And some sort of animation to go with the Blast command (other than the pixeltruppen just going prone and "hiding"). And a leaning-in-to-throw-a-grenade-through-a-door-or-around-a-corner animation.

This discussion reminds me of the "things you'd like to see in CM:SF 2" thread I've been wanting to start.

Well, hopefully by the time that rolls around we'll have some of this stuff in CMSF2.

Gonna be cool as hell playing with all the modern equipment in a temperate climate.

Mord.

...or not being able to kick in doors easily (i.e. faster to exit a building than to enter).

Haven't seen a post from you in a while, M1A1TC (although it may just be me). Been on deployment? Welcome home.

Yeah, thanks, currently going through BOLC (basic officer leadership course), pretty easy since was E-6, just very hot. Its over 100 degrees every day. Should be done by beginning of september, I owe you guys few mods

I might deploying overseas soon...

Can we see panicked civilian women in Burkas and dogs running around in the street dodging bullets and shrieking?

Ahh, civilians.

One of the things in the far distant future, perhaps.

I am wondering what will be the next big steps, anyhow. I come up with things like vector-based (as opposed to tile based) terrain, full terrain fog-of-war. Adding civilians would certainly be a change of the same order of magnitude.

Best regards,

Thomm

1.) Reload animations for vehicle-mounted weapons, such as M2, Mk 19 and TOW.

2.) Deploy animation for dismounted heavy weapons such as unfolding the tripod and fixing the weapon to it.

Both of these would not only improve the game visually, but would also have some tactical value by providing the player with a visual idea as to the progress of the action. They would also have use in both the WWII games and a future modern setting game.

Can we see panicked civilian women in Burkas and dogs running around in the street dodging bullets and shrieking?

I'm inclined to agree with what the manual says in this regard: "direct portrayal of a civilian environment...is actually more work than the military side of the simulation".

That said, it would be nice to have a civilian-type unit (no equipment, weapons, or body armor) like the uncon spy but which wouldn't disappear on getting spotted. This would allow for rescue-type scenarios.

I'd like to see some life in those maps one day. A good cosmetic solution would be non interactive civilian presence. Short random animations of ppl running across the street or taking cover. But it would be really quick so to prevent making them a target. The game wont have to track down individuals but just load random animations here and there. No visual civilian casualties and no interaction with gameplay. Dogs/cows etc could be the same. I'd love to see flying 2d birds sprites too. We dont have those telephone poles for nothing!