RAMADI (Iraq): Mother of All MOUT Maps

1 hour ago, Erwin said:

Hope you get designers wanting to design scenarios on your map.  

If @LongLeftFlank builds it, the scenario designers will come ............ :).  Might end up attaching a body of water to it for amphibious operations or part of an airfield for an airborne forced entry or Entebbe type operation etc. but scenarios will be done in CMSF2 as in CMSF1...  :D 

Where is @Sgt.Squarehead.......?

• 1 month later...

D1BlnZc.png

After a computer repair and several 60+ hour work weeks, I finally found a little CM time. Took me 6 hours of aggravation to figure out the H&E rooftop mod and then retexture it. But yes, after 20 years, the CM pixelverse finally features a corrugated tin roof! (could do without the European looking chimneys but wevs)

8 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

I'm pretty sure @37mm has a mod that removes the chimneys.  

For H&E...

By default (i.e. modern period)... Facades 9 & 10 have chimneyless roofs

[bhcw] tag... Facade 8 also features a chimneyless roof

[boonies]... Facades 6 & 7 also feature chimneyless roofs

So, for most rural scenarios set in the 60's-70's, facades 6, 7, 8, 9 & 10 will be chimneyless.

By default (playing a scenario, without tags, in the 00's), facades 1-8 will be flat roofed.

These roofs were made before we learnt about the blender techniques... so I just alpha'd the chimney textures out.

11 hours ago, LongLeftFlank said:

Took me 6 hours of aggravation to figure out the H&E rooftop mod and then retexture it.

Very nice effort and I admire it. Would it be difficult to make houses with cellars? Or fortified houses, inner walls sandbagged and even foxhole type modifications inside? 

45 minutes ago, chuckdyke said:

Very nice effort and I admire it. Would it be difficult to make houses with cellars? Or fortified houses, inner walls sandbagged and even foxhole type modifications inside? 

Houses with cellars means altering the terrain mesh.  I don't think anyone has considered that, BF certainly has not.  It is the source really of the whole foxhole/fortification dilemma

2 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

You can definately put foxholes inside of buildings... I first did it for a CMA scenario I never released & have already done so for a CMSF2 experiment.

I'm pretty sure I also managed to get a bunker inside a building in CMA but, IIRC, that's no longer possible in CMSF2.

1 hour ago, sburke said:

Houses with cellars means altering the terrain mesh. 

I only started recently playing with the editor. So don't get mad if I ask silly questions. Would it be possible if you increase the terrain by a few numbers overall and bring the cellars down? 

27 minutes ago, 37mm said:

I'm pretty sure I also managed to get a bunker inside a building in CMA but, IIRC, that's no longer possible in CMSF2.

You could create a 'house skin' for a bunker? I am only a novice in editing. Thank you very much for your attention. 

Thanks for the compliment, but there are no cellars in Ramadi, Iraq, which is the subject of this thread. Could you take that discussion elsewhere? And this is also not a best place for a scenario tutorial. Cheers!

Don't want to be a fascist, but longtime Forumites will know I'm more than a little particular about keeping my threads on topic.....

Edited by LongLeftFlank

4 hours ago, 37mm said:

You can definately put foxholes inside of buildings... I first did it for a CMA scenario I never released & have already done so for a CMSF2 experiment.

Look interresting with bunker !

On 5/9/2021 at 4:26 AM, LongLeftFlank said:

Thanks for the compliment, but there are no cellars in Ramadi, Iraq, which is the subject of this thread. Could you take that discussion elsewhere? And this is also not a best place for a scenario tutorial. Cheers!

Don't want to be a fascist, but longtime Forumites will know I'm more than a little particular about keeping my threads on topic.....

LOL I don't think it is about being a facist, but if someone wants to look at map terrain design I don't think they'll go searching deep into this thread so the conversation gets wasted.  There is a whole sub forum for that ...  CM Shock Force 2 Maps and Mods - Battlefront.com Community

wsiLIJb.png

"Rakkasans" of 1/9 Infantry take down a suspect in the outskirts of al Qatana.

Note my latest take on the small open-fronted shops. Texturing that little merchandise display case next to the fruit stall alone was a 2 hour trial and error struggle. The signboards give a lot of life to the streetscapes.

Very nice news little things, did you also added some news anim ?

The soldier on the ground seem to have new anim...or is only cos he throwing grenade ?... and the dead civilian on the ground seem to be also new, also the signs inscriptions ?...if not I have to see back all from cmsf2 !

Edited by JM Stuff

3 hours ago, JM Stuff said:

Very nice news little things, did you also added some news anim ?

The soldier on the ground seem to have new anim...or is only cos he throwing grenade ?... and the dead civilian on the ground seem to be also new, also the signs inscriptions ?...if not I have to see back all from cmsf2 !

Yes, that was curious. No grenade was visible or detonated, so I assume it's one of the close combat animation defaults. The Red guy is a Spy whose 'cover' is blown and he went prone beneath the GI. 

Btw, I updated the classic Faces of Syria pack for CMSF2 Combatants. Most irregulars don't fight masked unless there are news cameras rolling: bloody uncomfortable in 38C heat! Fighters (JTJ, AQIZ) remain masked.

• 2 weeks later...

Work spiked again, so haven't been on for a while. I have now added the #squalor and #burnt tags to my 2012 Baba Amr map. Are we feeling that Even The Streets Want You Dead© vibe yet?

qka5wDK.png

I've been adding scorched and burnt textures to a number of Flavour Objects like fruit stalls that would look odd in pristine condition in the middle of a shattered battlescape. This is a 'total war' condition of course (Mosul, Falluja); most of Ramadi wasn't this badly trashed: #squalid tag will do for most scenarios.

I also ported over @Mord's classic "Faces of Syria" mod to the Uncon Combatants. (Praise Be Upon Him And Upon His Bunker).

Edited by LongLeftFlank

55 minutes ago, LongLeftFlank said:

Work spiked again, so haven't been on for a while. I have now added the #squalor and #burnt tags to my 2012 Baba Amr map. Are we feeling that Even The Streets Want You Dead© vibe yet?

qka5wDK.png

I've been adding scorched and burnt textures to a number of Flavour Objects like fruit stalls that would look odd in pristine condition in the middle of a shattered battlescape. This is a 'total war' condition of course (Mosul, Falluja); most of Ramadi wasn't this badly trashed: #squalid tag will do for most scenarios.

I also ported over @Mord's classic "Faces of Syria" mod to the Uncon Combatants. (Praise Be Upon Him And Upon His Bunker).

step by step the bird makes its nest, ...

for sure I will not taste on this time to your fruits, yes this give a good sensation of war, perhaps tear the writings on the panels a little...

I give also a plus to your faces and the dirty street ! 

JM