RAMADI (Iraq): Mother of All MOUT Maps

Just came across this - a podcast with Cpt (now Lt Col.) Christopher Bronzi on the events of April 6 & 7 2004.  It covers specific events then as well a bit more wide ranging topics for the stuff soldiers and small unit leaders face in combat.

http://allmarineradio.com/2018/02/28/battle-study-urban-combat-in-ramadi-2004-ltcol-chris-bronzi-usmc-2/

Edited by sburke

Great find mate, though not much time to listen right now....

Look at how many residential  blocks the JOKER 3 patrol routes covered! The concept was to be able to cut off and trap potshooters; they were not expecting an ambush by dozens of fighters, reinforced by local residents.

BATTLEFIELD-STUDY-G-2-4-Ramadi-LtCol-Bro

Edited by LongLeftFlank

you know you have spent too much time in LLFs Ramadi map and looking at satellite views of the city when you can recognize in Videos from 2004 where exactly a unit is....  at 2:15 is when they hit Rte Michigan about a 1/2 km from the map edge of LLFs map (near Gov't ctr).  The other thing that is freaky is to watch civilian behavior when there is gunfire and rpg rounds going off. People don't quite run for cover like i'd expect.  Crazy.

Edited by sburke

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

End of an era, CMSF staybacks?

At long last, and with a welcome assist from @BFCElvis, I have come down out of the jungle, upgrading my CMSF and Marines to CMSF2 over the weekend.

Ramadi looks and navigates great! especially with Kieme's shabby buildings sprinkled in with the base textures. However, I need to update my Shopfront and Mosque collonades, then figure out mod tags to make it look right again.

1. I may release a new version of my Ramadi master map, but don't look for me to be right angling all those Mulaab compound walls (not sure that's a good idea anyway, from a pathing/playability standpoint). I'm starting a new job shortly, likely in a new country, and so this is just a breather.

2. Did anyone ever prevail on one of the Blender gods to do a minaret object (even if nonfunctional?) That has been an egregiously missing item since the original CMSF1 release. Seems pretty basic, just take one of the stripy road posts and supersize it (not all minarets are super pointy). But Blender-fu is not part of my life plans at present.

On 2/15/2021 at 3:36 AM, LongLeftFlank said:

Ramadi looks and navigates great! especially with Kieme's shabby buildings sprinkled in with the base textures. However, I need to update my Shopfront and Mosque collonades, then figure out mod tags to make it look right again.

@37mm  Is probably the guy to advise.

On 2/15/2021 at 3:36 AM, LongLeftFlank said:

2. Did anyone ever prevail on one of the Blender gods to do a minaret object (even if nonfunctional?) That has been an egregiously missing item since the original CMSF1 release. Seems pretty basic, just take one of the stripy road posts and supersize it (not all minarets are super pointy). But Blender-fu is not part of my life plans at present.

If anyone can, that man is probably @Aquila-SmartWargames

Good to see you back.  B)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

3 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

@37mm  Is probably the guy to advise.

If anyone can, that man is probably @Aquila-SmartWargames

Good to see you back.  B)

Couple of additional queries: did anyone ever work up a more beat up looking 'high walls' mod? That brick one especially looks just too tidy next to Kieme's hovels.

I know the Squalor mod did a nice rural stone wall.

And I see CMFR has derelict wrecked car doodads, and I saw Blender do buses, rolling stock and some similar stuff. Anything like that ever get done for CMSF or CMBS? I'd love to sprinkle Ramadi with more of those to make it look more 'lived in'. And some beat up shipping containers too, even if they don't block LOS (I can interpose wall segments).

• 3 weeks later...

cbINS9d.png

OK, back in the game. Combining the great mods by @Kieme(ITA), @Pete Wenman, @Aquila-SmartWargames, @JulianJ (Allah's praise be upon them!), and my humble self, into a CMSF2 'Ramadi Pack'. Giving 'the Big Suck' some life, before driving it off the streets with gunfire....

This is the city's sole operational filling station, near CP296, c.2004, before this stretch of ASR MICHIGAN became 'Little Hiroshima' due to the ongoing war against US convoys.

I'd forgotten what a time suck all this stuff is though. Time for some suitable music....

Edited by LongLeftFlank
OCD

aBRd1Ky.pngaBRd1Ky.png]

Glad I saved screenshots of the GoogEarth imagery dated c.2004, as this area has changed a lot since, owing to the heavy war damage and subsequent rebuilding.

As you can see, the gas station (immediately south of the cinema) was quite congested.

Other points of interest include the Passport Office north of the cemetery. This became Marine OP HOREA in 2005, overwatching the prime IED zone around CP296. It was more or less permanently under siege from 2005-2007.

Yes, the map works fine. I am updating the master, and my 2 historical Ramadi scenarios, when I can find time and hoping to push out a third. 

I have also been rummaging through the monumental work of@Sgt.Squarehead , @37mm and others on their Heaven & Earth epic, after being totally floored by the sheer volume of quality and creativity involved!

Edited by LongLeftFlank

Still working up my Ramadi mod pack. [Squalid] tag is gonna be more squalid than evar! You'll be able to smell it.

9EFRVvw.png

vtbReUm.png

There's corrugated tin shacks filled up with kids, and I don't mean a Hampstead nursery / When you own a big chunk of the bloody Third World, the babies just come with the scenery

On 3/19/2021 at 6:40 PM, LongLeftFlank said:

Still working up my Ramadi mod pack. [Squalid] tag is gonna be more squalid than evar! You'll be able to smell it.

9EFRVvw.png

vtbReUm.png

There's corrugated tin shacks filled up with kids, and I don't mean a Hampstead nursery / When you own a big chunk of the bloody Third World, the babies just come with the scenery

Impressive scenery

I haven't shared anything new yet, so whatever has gone to CMMODS are the CM1 editions. @Erwin, the file you're referencing is the Ramadi 'master' as it was in 2014. I've built a fair bit more since then to accommodate WICKED WEDNESDAY and some other stuff.

...Slowly I am starting to get the look I want; I don't want to choke my maps with thousands of objects but I want to convey an authentic atmosphere. No sterile generic looking maps for this expat.

WpDy6Ht.png

Edited by LongLeftFlank