BattleFront.com Down For Maintenance...

The most critical info a customer could ever fear having exposed is credit card info. Fortunately, that is never, ever, ever, EVER on our server. Not even for a milisecond. And kids... it's for exactly this reason you should hope everybody is as careful about this as we are :)

It is possible that the hacker got your email addresses. We're not exactly sure if he could have done that or not. Of course getting email addresses is pretty easy to do. I have received a ton of emails from people I know that aren't legit. Fortunately neither is the English used :D

We think the hacker didn't get the emails, though. For sure he didn't specifically email any of you rather he told our store to email all users with his message. With the type of breach we had it's possible that's all he was able to do.

It's unlikely he got people's mailing address information. It's purposefully stored in a very convoluted way that requires having a completely functional copy of our entire database. It is possible he took the time to do this, but we don't think that was on his ToDo List. He'd also have to query for individual addresses (I think!) and I doubt that would be worth his time to mess with.

Passwords are all stored encrypted so they are all safe.

We think his primary goal was to blackmail us and to cause enough havoc to convince us to pay up. I'm sure if he could have got credit card info he would have loved that. We're happy to disappoint!

Steve

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The most critical info a customer could ever fear having exposed is credit card info. Fortunately, that is never, ever, ever, EVER on our server. Not even for a milisecond. And kids... it's for exactly this reason you should hope everybody is as careful about this as we are :)

It is possible that the hacker got your email addresses. We're not exactly sure if he could have done that or not. Of course getting email addresses is pretty easy to do. I have received a ton of emails from people I know that aren't legit. Fortunately neither is the English used :D

We think the hacker didn't get the emails, though. For sure he didn't specifically email any of you rather he told our store to email all users with his message. With the type of breach we had it's possible that's all he was able to do.

It's unlikely he got people's mailing address information. It's purposefully stored in a very convoluted way that requires having a completely functional copy of our entire database. It is possible he took the time to do this, but we don't think that was on his ToDo List. He'd also have to query for individual addresses (I think!) and I doubt that would be worth his time to mess with.

Passwords are all stored encrypted so they are all safe.

We think his primary goal was to blackmail us and to cause enough havoc to convince us to pay up. I'm sure if he could have got credit card info he would have loved that. We're happy to disappoint!

Steve

It's not just email addressed exposed, the email I got contained my full name and address. Already today I got phishing emails from the IRS, CitiBank, US Census, etc, things I normally don't get!!!!

Yes, the hacker did get quite a bit of stuff none of us are happy he got. There is no ifs, ands, or buts about it... this definitely sucks. However, the information he did get is generally available to SPAMers and Phishers through various other means. These things come in waves. For example, a few weeks ago I got spoof emails from email addresses of people I know. Several a day for a while, likely from an email address book virus. Since then I've got not a single spoofed email.

Fortunately for everybody, the most important stuff that a hacker could possibly get is literally not on our server. Credit card information being the most important of the important. The rest are very sensitive processes that are hosted by other services. I don't want to go into details about this aspect, but I can say that it helps that a hacked server was anticipated when we set up various things.

Given enough time and enough luck, no server is safe. Look at Twitter... hacked this past week and even President Obama's account was raided. I bet you Twitter's IT department is a little larger and better funded than ours :) At least we made it 10 years before we experienced a significant breach.

Steve

I also got the email but have not been hit with too many phishing expeditions yet. I work at a large university and these attempts happen on a regular basis.

Oh well, better now than 2 months ago when you were not prepared with your new server.

In think many of us are upset because of the attack but even more annoyed that it took time away from your already booked schedule. It is not like you have much time to spare with everyone demanding something from you.

I am curious though, after a hard day at work I can come home and get an hour of CM in but when you go home do you shut the door to the world and do someones taxes or go off to a quarry for some hard physical labour?

I am curious though, after a hard day at work I can come home and get an hour of CM in but when you go home do you shut the door to the world and do someones taxes or go off to a quarry for some hard physical labour?

Steve lives in rural Maine. After a long day of work on CM, he has to shovel snow and forage for firewood on his weasel whilst fighting off rampaging giant moose armed only with a sharpened pine branch.

In the (brief) summer, he doesn't have to deal with the snow, but does have to deal with the massive clouds of blackflies.

Tried reseting my customer account password as specified but have not received any email. Been over eight hours. Checked spam folder and it is empty. Hesitiant to try again.

What's the next step?

I've had the same problem mate. I don't know whats wrong with it, hopefully it sends soon...

It's probably hung up before it gets to your own personal SPAM filter. A lot of servers are really hesitant to pass through automated emails. Usually they get freed at some point. The important short term thing is that your password has been reset even if you haven't received the confirmation email. Obviously that doesn't help you out much if you need to get into your account! Check back in tomorrow and we'll try and help you out if your confirmations didn't show up.

Steve

Tried reseting my customer account password as specified but have not received any email. Been over eight hours. Checked spam folder and it is empty. Hesitiant to try again.

Same here, I've tried twice but none of the message have been delivered.

Just wanted to say my forum account updated the password almost instantly but I'm still waiting for something from the customer account. Checked all possible folders on the mail server.

OK it hasn't been 24 hours yet, but still makes me wonder.....:confused::P

I did split late season firewood yesterday, yes indeed. But in my mind I wasn't splitting wood, if you get what I mean. Heeeeeeeeere's Johnny! :)

Always worked for me. Thirty-five years ago I was living in a cabin in the mountains and my primary heat source was a wood burning stove. I would haul dead trees out of the canyon below my house and cut them up with a hand saw. That was hard work, let me tell you, to draw on an inner energy source and motivate myself, I would imagine that I was sawing through the neck of someone I particularly disliked. I always felt very refreshed afterwards, very cleansed. And I never ran out of firewood.

Michael

Still nothing on my end. Nothing in spam folder either. Have not had problem with auto email from BFC until hack issues.

Appreciate any help!

It's probably hung up before it gets to your own personal SPAM filter. A lot of servers are really hesitant to pass through automated emails. Usually they get freed at some point. The important short term thing is that your password has been reset even if you haven't received the confirmation email. Obviously that doesn't help you out much if you need to get into your account! Check back in tomorrow and we'll try and help you out if your confirmations didn't show up.

Steve