How do ya like it? Real-time or Turn-based?

New to Shock force, but been a big fan and owner of all the Combat Mission games - I'm still stuck on Turn-based. Seems to really help while I learn the ropes of the modern combat engine. So far I'm only playing the "Battles" (finally finished my first and only battle ATGM Ambush...after many tries) and hope to move forward to the Campaign after finishing many more and getting my tactics down.

As I was struggling with ATGM Ambush, I started to wonder how others were playing? So I though I would ask, do you folks play Real-time or Turn-based? I would love to see what the mob says.

Up until last patch I would've said definitely 99% Realtime play. But the return of the blue progress bar (instead of the annoying realtime/replay sequence) has made a convert out of me. I had gone back to 80% WeGo but I'm backing off it a bit now. Some smaller scenario I prefer the immediacy of Realtime and I can live with the 'plot-movements-on-the-go' control penalty for small battles.

Hi for me I play WEGO against human opponents mainly, never play real time against human opponents but play real time on small battles against AI, like ATGM Ambush battle. As I find it easier to give instructions in less time in real time for battles with only one small front of advance.

paul

I have found turn based is much easier. You let time slip by in real time. I think that's were you get most of your time restraint problems (I have read some CMSF players have this issue). Turn based allows a much more controlled approach to your units on a wider scale. I play real time often. However, if I have difficulty or run into a real fight I go to turn based the next time. When I build a scenario I test both ways. Real time is often a rush against time. Turn based and I almost always finish with 10 minutes or more. You just must remember it is a game. With that, make it as difficult as possible. Play real time if you want a serious challenge. Play turn based if you want to watch the entire battle and always win.

Both styles of play have their own merits and drawbacks. If you want to play missions where you control more than a single Company, Real Time gets to be a management nightmare whereas WeGo is much easier to manage. But when the human player has to control a single company or thereabouts RT hits the sweet spot for me.

I've found on the days I want to WIN at something I go more for WeGo, on the days I just want to pass the time blowin' up stuff I play Realtime. When I play Realtime I use the Pause button very rarely to plot turns, when I play WeGo I'm always rewinding and replaying to check every detail - which make Realtime game play even more distinct from WeGo play.

I'm still up in the air about this one. I'm playing through the USMC campaign in real time right now, and although I like the "flow" better than WeGo, the danger is that the player ends up focusing on one area of the map, and then when it's too late they realize forces on another part of the map are being decimated by previously un-spotted enemy forces. That or my tactics still just suck. :D

I started with WEGO due to my CMBO, CMBB, CMAK background but have gravitated to realtime. I rarely pause and there are certainly moments where I think 'where the hell did that come from' but the thing I like most about realtime is that you can stonk a position with OS as you race up with your armoured infantry and you can debus and assault as the OS lifts. This I find a lot more difficult to orchestrate in WEGO.

When i'm on slow mode it's WeGo, which is often. When i'm on fast mode it is realtime... Of course i can also do it other way around, depends of my mood.

Then size of battle matters, also how i predict it to be phased. Half an hour of pure waiting, then fierze action for 30-60 minutes? ... In this case it's WeGo. Or will there be recon jobs or other ways small scale action... Then it's realtime. BluFor or RedFor? This matters as well.

Wait there is even more:

And also about did i by accident select wrong mode... And i'm being too lazy to start over.

Overall more and more i'm leaning towards WeGo... But that can be for reason that i play less and less CMSF, and i'm loosing my edge. Realtime escpaciely with large battles is very demanding. Bit too demanding for me.

But overall i'm not too picky or limited in this way. I like to use them both. It's like using toilet paper's both sides, cost-effective and pleasuring.

I find Realtime heightens the drama considerably.

Last night I was advancing a T72 across a 2km x 2km farmland map when I spotted wafting white popped smoke drifting across the far corner of the map. Did somepone spot me and retreat? Did they spot one of my other units? Did one of my units briefly spot someone and I missed it? In WeGo I'd be able to casually rewind and zoom to the far corner to see what happened. In Realtime it becomes a 'dramatic moment'. :)

Started WEGO, went to real time, now back to WEGO.

I find the benefits of real time can be mostly be mitigated with properly WEGO planning, yet the benefits of WEGO can only be mitigated with extreme difficulty in real time.

Also, as others had mentioned, I found the time issue a big one in real time, especially on large battles. I'd often take less casualties than in WEGO until I realized I was running short on time, and then, I'd effectively end up taking more.

Yeah, we'll always get a skewed sample here. HOWEVER, I do think that the bulk of players tend towards one but play the other depending on some factor or another. Battle size, time available (in real life, not within the scenario I mean), mood, etc. Which is why we'll always have both WeGo and RealTime in CMx2. There's no technical reason to force people to choose one or the other from our perspective, so we're not going to :)

Steve