How do ya like it? Real-time or Turn-based?

Used to CMBO when it came first out, then CMBB and CMAK with the only option WEGO, playing CMSF in Real Time is a pleasure and some time a thrilling experience.

I had found that in WEGO, during 1 minute you could not change anything that you had set. You could watch and re-watch eventually as many time as you wished the action, but the shells aimed at your tank where brewing it, usually before the minute ended. that was upsetting.

In Real Time if you look where the action is, you can eventually prevent an incoming disaster, that was is irreversible in WEGO, by backing up, popping smoke, firing ...all of these in a short time. OK, it is usually not so easy to appraise the Operation Area and you might loose sight of some units, but you almost feel like being there. It is amazing to jump up at the sound of a shell stricking near by and to be completely startled, since you have been caught off guard.

Well, that does not mean that WEGO is not as fine than real Time. It is just a personal choice, Real Time being available and nonetheless, either way of playing, I am sure please the player like I enjoyed it before and now.

Real-time, except for battles involving more than a company and a half of friendly forces.

I like the immediacy and responsiveness of real-time. Playing a more-than-a-company battle in real-time, especially on a spacious map, all too soon devolves into hurtling the camera from one hot spot to another, returning to the previous place to find my forces decimated/routed or to realize a great M72-taking-out-T72 bit of action has gone unwitnessed. Thus I play such scenarios turn-based.

Perhaps that's why I like the huge-mapped-but-modestly-populated scenarios GeorgeMC designs. :)

I played Wego exclusively when the game came out, owing to my CMBO and beyond days. Since getting Marines, I've been playing RT, and while it's far more hectic, I like it better. I can respond quickly to threats as they appear, not after they've already killed all my guys. I can cease fire with artillery, and call a new strike within seconds..rather than within minutes, minutes I don't have, and I can deal with some of the frustrating code things (like teams rejoining squads before I'm ready) when I can just re-try to command within seconds..rather than within minutes.

I do make copious use of the pause button, but I wish there was some kind of replay feature so I could see where that At fire came from, or just exactly why there is one lonely Marine with a red circle in the middle of the street when there are no visible hostiles around, and his squad has already moved past that location.

I'm still getting used to real time, but it is a much more fun experience for me. I think I'll still se Wego for really large scenarios, but i dread the return of some of the things RT eliminates.

Its interesting how WeGo and Realtime don't seem to be in 'competition' anymore. At the start it was one orthodoxy versus another, like Protestans vs Catholics or Macs vs PCs. Now gameplay has become more 'ecumenical', to extend the competing religions analogy. :)

After further review, to me it seems the break down is kinda like this:

WEGO

Real Time

Best of both worlds

(Not counting the Lan proxie vote for 4, which I agree would have to be real time.)

Really seems to be all about the size of the scenario...which makes sense.

I myself will still stay with the WEGO. I still think its the most realistic. The pause on the real time really doesn't make it real. WEGO you really have to deal with your 60sec decisions.

Great game anyway ya play it. - Game on Brothers.

Played 95% RT before blue bar, switched to 100% WeGo with blue bar. Realtime play does not lessen the burden at all. Still the same movements have to be plotted, but with less effiency probably increasing the workload (most of the time fighting the camera angles)

Best part is that you can really see the astonishing engine at work by replaying the firefights. They usually last just couple of seconds, killing tens of people and sending RPG:s everywhere. Try to figure the mess out in realtime, especially when youre a the other end of 2km map re-routing humvee struggling with obstacles.

That and the tactical challenge of planning things ahead of you. It just hits the sweet spot of this simulation. With modern combat 1 minute is almost strategical timescale, i say 45 seconds would be equivalent of CMBB 60 seconds.

Best part is that you can really see the astonishing engine at work by replaying the firefights. They usually last just couple of seconds, killing tens of people and sending RPG:s everywhere.

I remember when people were deriding CMSF for appealing to the wargaming crowd they called "RTSers" and who they described as being focused on graphics and real-time gameplay. Now excuse me while I unpeg my irony meter.

RT mostly. WEGO is usually better for testing though.

Recently I found out that some huge battles that I have never been able to play before due to my system specs, can actually be very enjoyable played as WEGO.

This coupled with replay are the big advantages in WEGO.

However RT is more fluid and real, so it´s still my favorite.

Best of all is to have both in the same game! ;)

-

WEGO is tops in my books.

This is mostly because all I have time to do are PBEMs. I have tried RT vs Human, but even with a tiny scenario it was extremely difficult to keep track of forces and get them to do what I wanted them to do. Some of the time they were lying idle when I wanted them to be doing something.

RT is more for single play, but even here things become unmanagable by comparison with WEGO.

I have tried RT vs Human, but even with a tiny scenario it was extremely difficult to keep track of forces and get them to do what I wanted them to do. Some of the time they were lying idle when I wanted them to be doing something.

In part you are right.

But often players believe too much in micromanagement; plays like a "fps" instead should think of a more "strategic".

In my experience (I played a lot online) I have obtained better results when I was entrusted to TacAI (very good in CMSF) and I used with care orders.

RT mostly. WEGO is usually better for testing though.

Recently I found out that some huge battles that I have never been able to play before due to my system specs, can actually be very enjoyable played as WEGO.

This coupled with replay are the big advantages in WEGO.

However RT is more fluid and real, so it´s still my favorite.

Best of all is to have both in the same game! ;)

-

Yeah. I actually leaning more towards RT with smaller forces after my last post.

It's definitely best to have both in the same game. :P