Official predictions

Kommissar

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys,

We are having some problems getting to the end, but it isn't all bad news.

We do have all the tanks and vehicles modelled now, every single one.

The beta testers are working on beta 6, and bugs from that are being attended to.

I wouldn't think anything much more will be done this calendar year, as far as public announcements and so on.

Sorry, sometimes things take longer than planned.

Hunter

Originally posted by Hunter:

Guys,

We are having some problems getting to the end, but it isn't all bad news.

We do have all the tanks and vehicles modelled now, every single one.

The beta testers are working on beta 6, and bugs from that are being attended to.

I wouldn't think anything much more will be done this calendar year, as far as public announcements and so on.

Sorry, sometimes things take longer than planned.

Hunter

This has some sort of sad, disheartened, frustrated tone to it. :(

Whatever the problems are, dont lose the faith Hunter!

Wishing you all the best for your project

M.Hofbauer

Vaporware, the only CMC mission is to keep this forum running until we all die of boredom.

Go out and buy Company of Heroes and blow something up which will lessen the frustration you experience here. The game is no Combat Mission but the graphics are awesome.They are getting closer, better watch out Battlefront!

My answer is never gonna happen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Honestly, what's the point in releasing this when CMSF will be out, and we'll all be learning the new engine? This game would have been great 6 months ago. Having it come out when TOW and CMSF already will have blown our minds is just a waste. They should save their effort for the CMx2 WWII game, or make one for the CMSF engine and at least have something that isn't based on a 5 year-old engine.

I'm thinking it will never come out. Sad to those who wasted their time beta testing it, but this is why projects have due dates -- at some point, the project becomes stale and misses its moment if things aren't timely.

Originally posted by Capt. Toleran:

Honestly, what's the point in releasing this when CMSF will be out, and we'll all be learning the new engine? This game would have been great 6 months ago. Having it come out when TOW and CMSF already will have blown our minds is just a waste. They should save their effort for the CMx2 WWII game, or make one for the CMSF engine and at least have something that isn't based on a 5 year-old engine.

I'm thinking it will never come out. Sad to those who wasted their time beta testing it, but this is why projects have due dates -- at some point, the project becomes stale and misses its moment if things aren't timely.

I completely disagree. Sure it would have been great 6 months ago, but oh well. Their probably to the point now that it would be foolish not to finish. From a business standpoint, they can still make money off of this project and will do so. It probably won't cost awhole lot anyway, I'm guessing $20-$30 bucks at most.

What this game offers is nothing like what we'll see in CMSF or even ToW. So their really not in direct competition with one another.

Btw, the CM engine is more like 10 yrs old now. IIRC, CMBO was released in 99, so it was being built in 97 and 98.

Originally posted by MeatEtr:

I completely disagree. Sure it would have been great 6 months ago, but oh well. Their probably to the point now that it would be foolish not to finish. From a business standpoint, they can still make money off of this project and will do so. It probably won't cost awhole lot anyway, I'm guessing $20-$30 bucks at most.

What this game offers is nothing like what we'll see in CMSF or even ToW. So their really not in direct competition with one another.

Btw, the CM engine is more like 10 yrs old now. IIRC, CMBO was released in 99, so it was being built in 97 and 98.

I think CMC is in trouble by now.

Even I don't fire up CMBB/CMAK that often anymore. Gameplay and graphics are just "old" by now. And the first CMx2 game will probably beat CMC to the market.

I can't imagine going through a gazillion of CMBB battles to resolve a CMC campaign now :(

Now, if they used the opportunity to fix up some CMBB issues, that would have been an entirely different matter. But it has already been said that this is out. So we have all the idiotic little things in CMBB that we are used to.

Since there is only one single programmer on both CM:SF and on the CMBB modifications for CMC I don't see how this fits anywhere. Charles cannot possibly support CMC properly. The nature of the project is that there will be a gazillion additional requests for more interfacing to the game than what was originally thought. And I don't know who left the CMC team but if it was the programmer working on the CMBB interface then things will be totally upside down.

Yes I had a bad lunch but it's true.

Can't they OpenSource CMx1 like they did with Quake1/Quake2/Quake3? Then none of these problems would apply.

• 2 weeks later...

Geez!

Wonder if Orville and Wilbur Wright felt this way...?

I still play CMBB and I'll be sorely disappointed if you listen to all these expert!

On a different note, in response to the Mayan doomsday "noise" : how the heck did the Mayans know the earth wabbles one cycle on it's axis every 25000 year?!!!

Oh yeahhhhhhh!!! - that's right! The Mayans had some, yet to be determined, connection with extraterresials!

Does anyone remember when all the planets lined up in 1979? Does anyone remember the frantic social noise when we faced down the Iraqes in 1990? Does anyone remember Y2k? How much water did you store? Does anyone see a pattern here? Does anyone have any reasoning power anymore?

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

On the contrary I just finished two very enjoyable PBEMs of CM - my first in at least a year. Sometimes the classics are worth coming back to.

Hell, if I could get my old M-1 Tank Platoon and Muzzle Velocity to work on my PC, I'd probably still be playing those, too. smile.gif

Yup, unless CMSF actually has PBEM or similar I'd imagine I'll be playing CMAK (less so CMBB) for some time. The quality of the graphics is now largely irrelevant for me in those games. Hell, I stopped bothering with MODs a couple of years ago.

Still, I doubt I would have the energy to bother with CMC if it came out, unless it was part of a well-run tournament. My main regret now is that I suspect I'll never get the chance to win some of Winecape's fine wines he offered a year or so ago smile.gif Also, to be honest, JasonC rather convincingly shot a few holes in the basic concept.

Seriously -- It sounds like even the hard-core members are starting to lose interest. The sad fact is that we all have limited time and interest, and that every year a new product comes to appeal to that interest.

Right now, I mentally have put away time for TOW, CMSF, and probably some wild card games out there, or discounted games from now (though I can't think of any). I also go back to the classics, but at some point, you need a change of pace, things can't stay the same forever (much as some here would like them to).

This game would have been great during any of the days off I had in the past 6 months, but that opportunity is lost. I won't be buying this product unless it is heavily discounted (think 20 bucks tops at this point) because it missed the window.

I'm sensing a lot of almost reactionary feelings about gameplay and battle simulation. Why, after loving what Battlefront has created, second-guess CMSF or the quality of fun a particular scenario might deliver? They say they're going to deliver a balanced game -- look to the present and future, change up the pace a bit.