The BIG warmup thread

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll go aaaall the way back to my first initial 'big moment'. Its a simple one. After years of playing WWII weapons in CMx1 I witness my first in-game use of the Mk19 grenade launcher. A real "Oh WOW!" moment. And U.S. isn't alone in the fun. The Syrians field the AGS-17 30mm grenade launcher. You know ahead of time that Javelin's going to be impressive - the Mk19 came as a surprise.

Look at that handsome devil manning the mg ;) . You can seee what hijinks (unintended by the designers) you can get up to in the editor - actually PLAYING the scenario may cause your PC to explode tho.

[EDITED- I just fired up a little test scenario with my odd combination and it runs like a charm! :D ]

SpyHumvee.jpg

[ July 12, 2007, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

Originally posted by KwazyDog:

In another example I saw an M1 fires a sabot round which passes straight through a T-62 turret, taking out a tree a few yards behind it.

That is quite possibly the coolest thing I've ever heard of happening in computer game. It totally outdoes my squad of British Para's throwing a grenade straight into the open top of a German half-track during the Arnhem campaign in CMBO...

Originally posted by Guinnessman:

That is quite possibly the coolest thing I've ever heard of happening in computer game. It totally outdoes my squad of British Para's throwing a grenade straight into the open top of a German half-track during the Arnhem campaign in CMBO...

Imagine what that will be like if you see it in the WW2 release :D

An 'oh cool' moment for me was watching a squad move up to a ditch and automatically spread out along it, oriented towards the enemy without orders. I'd expected them to form a loose circle around the area of the last way point.

Similarly, I've watched squads take up all round defence at city intersections, with soldiers kneeling and peering round the corners of buildings, rather than just standing fat and dumb in the middle of the road.

[ July 12, 2007, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: JonS ]

Originally posted by KwazyDog:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Amedeo:

Perhaps I didn't correctly understand what you wrote but did you say that a TOW ATGM impacting on the ground near a fully functional T-72 caused it to explode?

This seems a bit strange (at least).

The TOW I described basically landed under the front of the tank instead of hitting the front hull. It has a large warhead, and Im guessing the blast was enough to rupture the underbelly of the tank. The thing about the T-72 is that its ammo is held in an unprotected autoloader situated below the turret in the hull. Any penetration of a T-72 risks detonating this ammo, but particually so if its the hull thats penetrated. It was one of those cool CM moments that I probably wont see for another 100 games, hehe.

This is why ERA can be a life saver against these things. Usually a TOW will pack enough punch to still penetrate a T-72 covered with the older kontakt ERA, but even if it does it will do far less damage. </font>

FAI, as far as Im aware the system is currently abstract to the point where the general location of the ammo is known as well as if it is compartmentalized (such as with the M1s storage), etc. Complete 3D tracking of ammo though is something that is actually possible with the new engine, and we currently do track direct hits to tracks, etc. We will likely expand on this as time goes by.

Panzermartin, it was to me too and I built them, hehe. Ive seen artillery and tanks take out trees thus far, usually knocking of some of the foliage with the first hit or two before the tree itself is taken out. In fact I was just watching an early model T-72 (complete will gill armor ;) ) tracking a M2 Bradley at short range. Just as he took the shot the M2 passed behind a tree which the HEAT round hit and detonated on, saving the M2s butt and ruining the tree, hehe.

Didn't you think we'd done our background research?

syrian_taxi_damascus_sm.jpg

745297-mind_the_taxi_fares-Damascus.jpg

taxi.jpg

We have discussed this a lot. Since Taxitel is the only company with white cabs, and they operate in Aleppo which is not the main focus of the first release, there is no need for them. But the second module will focus on taxis in and around Aleppo, and white cabs will definately be there!

tongue.gif

Depends on the model of TOW.

Designation Description

XBGM-71A/BGM-71A Hughes Tube launched Optically tracked Wire command link guided (TOW) Missile

BGM-71B BGM-71A variant; improved range

BGM-71C BGM-71B variant; Improved TOW (ITOW) w/ improved shaped-charge warhead

BGM-71D BGM-71C variant; TOW 2, improved guidance, motor and enlarged main warhead

BGM-71E BGM-71D variant; TOW 2A optimised to defeat reactive armour with tandem warheads

BGM-71F BGM-71D variant; TOW 2B top-down attack variant using explosively formed penetrators

BGM-71G BGM-71F variant; different AP warhead; not produced

BGM-71H BGM-71E variant; “bunker buster” variant for use against fortified structures

Rune

Originally posted by rune:

Depends on the model of TOW.

they all are shaped charge except the top-down variant (which would form even less blast towards the bottom of the T-72 and is still in practice shaped charge). i guess the bunker buster would have greater blast effect, but i am still skeptical (and why would a Bradley use it against a T-72?).