The BIG warmup thread

Ok, I just preordered the cool collections pack and wanted to celebrate by creating a big warmup/hype thread with cool questions to the testers and developers so here goes :

What has been the most satisfactory/fun moment(s) in your CMSF gaming(testing)/development history ?

First and foremost I want to give us gamers a taste of what's to come so don't hold back guys ;) .

//Salkin

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm.....very nice ?

Hehe...seriously that was pretty cool but do you know what would be even cooler ?!

I'll tell you !

A short story about why those guys are taking a cab to battle when there are cool strykers about.

And don't give me some crap about the editor, we have that stuff in five other threads. Get creative ;) (without the editor that is).

//Salkin

Originally posted by Salkin:

What has been the most satisfactory/fun moment(s) in your CMSF gaming(testing)/development history ?

To be honest Ive only had time to actually play in the last few weeks, but there is one short moment that sticks in my mind (and highlights one of the changes in the new engine that wouldn't have been possible in CMx1).

I was playing a small scenario with a bunch of combatants trying to hold off a reinforced Stryker recon platoon. The Stryker RV in this particular scenario happened to be armed with a Mk-19 auto grenade launcher, and was hammering anyone it spotted at range. My guys only had RPG teams to deal with the threat, and after forcing the RVs commander to button up for a short while with small arms fire I managed to rush a team into a forested area to its right without them being taken out. It was a long shot they would be useful due to the Strykers slat armor, but its all I had.

I slowly moved them into position around 100m away where they had descent LOS, and fired off a round. The round hit to the rear of the vehicle and as expected the slat armor defeated it, causing no detonation. It did alert the crew to the threat though, and the commander unbuttoned and turned his AGL to engage. My RPG team had one more chance, reloaded and fired a second time. As soon as they did I knew it was going to go high and sure enough, it not only missed the slat armor but missed the entire hull of the Stryker by about a foot or so. To my surprise though as it passed over the vehicle is clipped the edge of the LRAS optics unit, detonating. The resulting explosion killed the vehicles commander and damaged the optics, thus removing the vehicle as a threat. Unfortunately the RPG team were taken out a short while later by infantry before I could pull them out, but they did their job.

A few other quick cool factors Ive noticed...

An M1 fires off a quick round at a T-55, the round missing by only an inch but slamming into the T-55 behind, resulting in a satisfying explosion anyway! In another example I saw an M1 fires a sabot round which passes straight through a T-62 turret, taking out a tree a few yards behind it.

A Bradley fires a TOW off at a T-72, falling short by about 1m. The resulting explosions causes the T-72 explode, leaving it listing into the TOWs crater with the rear wheels and track dangling in the air.

Stryker slat armor is very effect against older RPG rounds. Best bet if thats all you have is to get onto high ground or into the tallest building you can find. If you can hit the Stryker from above on the upper hull chances are that you will do some serious damage.

In urban areas you need to play very carefully. Sending a squad across the wrong street or even alley way can be deadly if there is an MG positioned accordingly. RPGs with AP rounds are also particually deadly in this environment too, especially if the round passes through a window into an occupied building.

Anyways, just a few items Ive noted that spring to mind smile.gif

Dan

[ July 11, 2007, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]

Awesome Dan !

Sergeis taxis are lovely and all, but THIS is what I was looking for.

Playing syrians can probably be a fun challenge. Does anyone have any cool stories about defeating/neutralizing an M1A1 with infantry based weapons ?

//Salkin

In another example I saw an M1 fires a sabot round which passes straight through a T-62 turret, taking out a tree a few yards behind it
I was under the impression that the trees and all vegetation where still being abstracted like they were in CMx1, effecting LOF and LOS only as an area-effect modifier. Is this not the case?

Originally posted by The Louch:

I was under the impression that the trees and all vegetation where still being abstracted like they were in CMx1, effecting LOF and LOS only as an area-effect modifier. Is this not the case?

Louch, keep in mind Im the graphics guy so Im not fully up to speed on the technicalities of the engine but as far as Im aware yes, trees are handled on a 1 to 1 basis for line of fire and movement.

As a test I just positioned a PK team looking into a heavily forested area I created in the editor. I moved the target line in an arc though the trees and at certain points I had a clear LOS into the forest compared to no LOS just a few meters left/right, as there just happened to be less trees along that particular path.

Something else I found interesting guys is the old T-55 is not as useless on the modern battlefield as one might think.

Your certainly not going to go head to head against an M1 in one, and even against a bradley you are going to be in for a tough fight as even its 25mm can penetrate it from the sides/rear or front if it gets lucky. If used carefully in an infantry support role though it can still be a devastating weapon, particually in urban areas. I find myself using them in much the same way as I did the self propelled guns in CMx1. smile.gif

Correct, as you say you just have to be careful about it.

I quiet enjoyed a RPG / SPG-9 ambush on a M1 where the flurry of rounds didn’t cause much major damage but the crew bailed out anyway.

Then I was able to move a SPG-9 around to the rear and achieved a K-Kill with a hit through the engine deck.

Originally posted by Sergei:

Realizing I could do this

taxidriver.jpg

Haha, that's funny.

Something like that actually happened.

The CO and some guys decided to recon a possible target house. Some of them were disguised in "man dresses".

While they were parked outside, a neighbor thought they were bad guys and fired of a few rounds of AK. They hauled ass back to the FOB.

We laughed our asses off that night.

Originally posted by KwazyDog:

A Bradley fires a TOW off at a T-72, falling short by about 1m. The resulting explosions causes the T-72 explode, leaving it listing into the TOWs crater with the rear wheels and track dangling in the air.

Perhaps I didn't correctly understand what you wrote but did you say that a TOW ATGM impacting on the ground near a fully functional T-72 caused it to explode?

This seems a bit strange (at least). I can imagine that a warhead exploding overhead (maybe hitting a tree or a near building) an unbuttoned T-72 might send a few sparks inside that, in turn, might ignite a propellant case, but...

Would you care to elaborate more on this "incident"? smile.gif

Regards,

Amedeo

Originally posted by Amedeo:

Perhaps I didn't correctly understand what you wrote but did you say that a TOW ATGM impacting on the ground near a fully functional T-72 caused it to explode?

This seems a bit strange (at least).

The TOW I described basically landed under the front of the tank instead of hitting the front hull. It has a large warhead, and Im guessing the blast was enough to rupture the underbelly of the tank. The thing about the T-72 is that its ammo is held in an unprotected autoloader situated below the turret in the hull. Any penetration of a T-72 risks detonating this ammo, but particually so if its the hull thats penetrated. It was one of those cool CM moments that I probably wont see for another 100 games, hehe.

This is why ERA can be a life saver against these things. Usually a TOW will pack enough punch to still penetrate a T-72 covered with the older kontakt ERA, but even if it does it will do far less damage.

[ July 12, 2007, 04:24 AM: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]

Originally posted by Sergei:

Realizing I could do this

taxidriver.jpg

Doesn't anyone remember "Bravo Two Zero", the SAS team that went into Iraq looking for SCUDs in Gulf War I? This image is precisely what happened!

Just to clarify, the team was compromised and had to get out of Iraq fast. The team car-jacked a taxi on a main road and used it to get as close to the border as possible. I can't remember what happened next but it would make a good CM:SF mission!

[ July 12, 2007, 04:58 AM: Message edited by: Cpl Steiner ]