The BIG warmup thread

As a representative of the Coalition of Syrian Taxi Grogs (CSTG) I respectfully desire information on the current status regarding the functionality and appearence of Syrian taxi cabs:

1. Firstly, CSTG states that the appropriate title of a Syrian taxi cab is the "Taximeter Personal Transportation Vehicle" (TPTV) and this should the appropriate label in scenario editors.

2. CSTG forcefully submits that the little occupancy light located on top of the TPTV be properly lit or extinguished when occupants are inside the vehicle, excepting the driver, in-game.

3. Lastly, the CSTG is aware that Western Coalition combat operations in the general area of TPTV operation zones may disrupt the conduct of business. Therefore it is strongly recommended that Syrian or Coalition forces be allowed to pick up clients in built-up areas, and deposit them at a distant location in exchange for a fare in the form of victory points.

I am sure that these important features are already implemented, and if nor implemented, I have the highest confidence that Battlefront will give these pressing issues immediate attention.

taxicabcheckeret1.png

CSTG is recruiting.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by undead reindeer cavalry:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by rune:

Depends on the model of TOW.

they all are shaped charge except the top-down variant (which would form even less blast towards the bottom of the T-72 and is still in practice shaped charge). i guess the bunker buster would have greater blast effect, but i am still skeptical (and why would a Bradley use it against a T-72?). </font>

Originally posted by Denwad:

just because it's a shaped charge doesn't mean all or even most of it's energy is directed forward, that's not how shaped charges work

shaped charges use the properties of explosives to collapse a cone of metal and propel it forward to penetrate the armor

the explosives still explode like any other kind of explosives

as far as i am aware (and i may well be wrong) most of the energy is indeed directed forward to create the jet stream / slug(s) that penetrates the armor. after armor effects etc are caused by the slug(s) causing sharpnel, heat and overpressure. the direction of the explosion itself is very directed.

say you do know the M1A1 doesn't carry any HE rounds because the HEAT rounds serve the same anti-personell purpose.

the pressure and sharpnel effect isn't able to penetrate that much armor. multislug variants with fancy timing systems (bunker busters etc) might have more an effect tho.

HEAT is no where as effective as HE, but they don't need to be. MBTs have MGs to deal with personnel and when really needed HEAT is considered good enough against more valuable point targets.

please correct me if i am wrong, i'm no warhead or explosive expert smile.gif

Actually, as the laws of conservation of energy and momentum dictate, shaped charges throw considerable amounts of energy in directions other than forward, especially in a torus shape at ~ 90 degrees to the direction of the penetration jet. You can actually see this in super slow motion images of shaped charge explosions.

However, the energy thrown in directions other than forward disperses very quickly, and doesn't have much in the way of useful shrapnel (except in the case of HEDP warheads, which are deliberately designed to have a better shrapnel effect).

But in any case, ANY explosion in a very enclosed space, such as under a tank, is going to be really nasty. This is part of why relatively small, unsophisticated IEDs can severely damage AFVs, if they detonate directly underneath. A TOW carries a 28 lb. HE charge. That's a lot of boom. Optimal or not, that's a lot of energy that has to go *somewhere*. I don't know off-=hand what the underplate armor of a T-72 is like, but I would be very suprised if it could withstand that kind of force without taking severe damage.

Cheers,

YD

FROM THE FRONT

all along the Syrian boarder NATO commanders are waiting for their orders in what is being dubbed "Operation Shock Force". expected to begin in ten days.

although the exact plans are a mystery, we do know the code phrase that will start the assault. the phrase to be given will be "Download now Availible." - Its not quite sure where this comes from, but its known that Syrian commanders will also be waiting for this phrase.

it is odd that such a phrase will usher in a new phase of warfare unlike any the world has seen before.

Originally posted by undead reindeer cavalry:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by rune:

Depends on the model of TOW.

they all are shaped charge except the top-down variant (which would form even less blast towards the bottom of the T-72 and is still in practice shaped charge). i guess the bunker buster would have greater blast effect, but i am still skeptical (and why would a Bradley use it against a T-72?). </font>