Marines Module update at Blogfront

Originally posted by JP76er:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Clavicula_Nox:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Dragon67:

Action movies and TV make it look like you have to be stupid to get shot or blown up.

Well, I was blown up because of my own stupidity, that much is true, but some people just get hit and they're doing everything right. It just happens. </font>

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Flanker15:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by slug88:

What about red-on-red? Are any of the Syrian ATGM's laser guided?

Yeah most of them are. Does the export model of the T-90 come with the IR jammer system that would work on US ATGMs? Also does it come with the AT-11 ATGM? Also can we make a map large enough so that the T-90 can use its longer range advantage over the M1A2? </font>

Yes, I am also curious if a beam-riding missile could be detected. Where with traditional laser guidance, a target is painted and a missile guides itself towards the bright spot on said target, beam riding missiles instead use rear mounted detectors to try to stay inside a broader, (presumabely) lower intensity beam that is pointed at the target. Would the latter guidance beam set off a laser detector?

Originally posted by slug88:

Yes, I am also curious if a beam-riding missile could be detected. Where with traditional laser guidance, a target is painted and a missile guides itself towards the bright spot on said target, beam riding missiles instead use rear mounted detectors to try to stay inside a broader, (presumabely) lower intensity beam that is pointed at the target. Would the latter guidance beam set off a laser detector?

How much difference would it make if beam-riding missile beam was detected? Would the smoke have any effect?

Sure, smoke will affect 'normal' laser guidance ,which depends on reflecting laser off the target, by dispersing the reflection so that the missile has nothing to aim itself at. But a beam rider using the beam striking it from behind for guidance? What happens to the beam ahead of the missile ought to be irrelevant. If it trigger smoke, then that only affects things insofar as the operator may not know exactly where to target the beam. And once the missile enters the smoke it loses its guidance information from behind. But at that point it is surely pretty damn close to the target (in terms of actual travel time - how far off course is it going to go even if it has to travel through 100m of smoke to hit its target?) While I can't pretend to know much about these systems, I find it entirely plausible that a beam rider missile could cope with flying the last 50-100m blind (assuming we've made a pretty damn big smoke screen here. I'd guess that the reality is that the amount of smoke put out between laser detection and incoming missile is more like a few meters, which would make close to zero difference).

Well, we're coming up for week 2 since the announcement and we still know next to nothing about anything important. :( Of course, you're not going to spoil the surprises or give us even a wild guess at when it will be released but surely this thread would be a good place to keep us up to date with progress and more info on what we do know IS in the game. It's a bit frustrating at times seeing that there have been new posts in this thread and opening it up only to find it's more speculation or discussion about things that are not going to be included in the module... (hey, no offense intended, guys ;) , it's just my impatience and frustration speaking.)

BTW, has anybody noticed that quite a few of the regular posters who are Beta testers have been absent lately? The main forum is as quiet as I've ever seen it. I suspect that the Marines are real fun to play with.

BTW, I've opened up an account with you guys in anticipation of buying this title the moment (almost) it's released.

Originally posted by Cpl Steiner:

BFC,

Will it be possible to remove the M32 grenade launchers from a Marines unit, perhaps by using the equipment quality setting? I would like to simulate OIF battles such as "An Nasiriyah" (Ambush Alley) using the new module but the M32s weren't available in 2003. It would be helpful for scenario designers if one of the quality settings effectively produced OIF-era Marines units.

I would also like to have an anwser to this question

Originally posted by M1A1TC:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Cpl Steiner:

BFC,

Will it be possible to remove the M32 grenade launchers from a Marines unit, perhaps by using the equipment quality setting? I would like to simulate OIF battles such as "An Nasiriyah" (Ambush Alley) using the new module but the M32s weren't available in 2003. It would be helpful for scenario designers if one of the quality settings effectively produced OIF-era Marines units.

I would also like to have an anwser to this question </font>

We are preparing the official website at the moment.

Martin

Good to hear that and I'll look forward to reading it. BTW, don't pay much attention to my posts just now. I just happen to have that type of personality that doesn't warm to being hyped up or teased. When I see something I want, I want it now! Once you start posting screenshots, I really want to have some idea when this will become available, ie next week, next month, July etc?. Not having any idea at all is just painfully frustrating for me.

Personally I can't fathom why the Military (both US and Aussie (to cetain extent), don't buy this "game" or a military spec modified version of it for training purposes of Officers, they seem to have no trouble fawning over Operation Flashpoint and its hardcore derivitive VBS2.

That way the BF guys would be rolling in cash and us civvies as a by product would be getting hand me down mods. Everyones happy. But then again Military and best choice training tools and equipment are kind of a misnomer.

Hmm, for so many years people kept asking for a 'modern' CM, and you guys tried so hard to deliver smile.gif

I have to say I'm half and half with Shock Force. Like Xcom Apocalypse (lobster game), I find the real time the way to play it, but I don't play multiplayer (unlike CM1), which, given my occasional horrific losses in QB's somewhat merciful smile.gif

I'll be in line to buy the next module, as I can't wait see what marines do smile.gif

At the risk of sounding like a fanboy, I love your continued investment in your product, even if I can't run CM1 any more (that's new hardware for you).

Originally posted by Pandur:

will the US truck have weapons!? i mean something like a M240 on the roof with a hatch.

if not it will be good to add to red as transport.

It should. It has a roof hatch and mount for an optional MG or Grenade Launcher.

AIUI, some, but not all, trucks in any given convoy are armed. From photos I've seen, .50 cal M2 is the most common armament.

Cheers,

YD