A prime example of why gamers are whiners

We have a multi-page thread complaining about the file size of PBEM turns. Yet we were told, by the PBEM fans, to include it no matter how big the file size was. That was the product of one of the most long, drawn out, emotional, vicious, ridiculous events on this Forum in its nearly 10 year history.

Yet no PBEM guy has yet mention that the extra file swap is gone.

Hmmmmmmmm.... me thinks you guys are a glass half empty crowd :D

Steve

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must say I tried the Demo and maybe I haven't figured out how to use it yet but I don't even want to, my first impressions of it are to horrible.

Having the view always down low the circles everywhere in the sky and not being able to back the action up to see it from different views was so irritating. I couldn't play this game for more than five minutes.

I think they are trying to get too play station with this game for my tastes. I'm sure it will be a big hit but all I personally would like is a bigger and better(one that encompasses all theaters and time periods of WW II)CMBB and CMAK. Nothing more technical than it already is.

Good luck to the game but it gives me a fricking headache trying to play this crap.

Originally posted by AdamL:

It really looks to me like instead of modeling the factors of war and letting the pieces fall as they may you have made a *game*, not a sim, this time around.

Funny, I feel the exact opposite way. This feels much more like a sim than a game with imposing/restricting and implementing C2, unit selection, etc.

The actual gameplay execution feels much like earlier games, alot of simulated abstraction (esp. for infantry CMx1) but with more detail and alot more depth this time around.

I'm actually curious as to how, more specifically, you qualify CMSF more as a game - as opposed to a simulation - than CMBB/CMAK?

The game is imperfect in its current state though, I'm not denying that, and apart from bugs I hope we get some feature request implemented in the future (*hint* map generator, doing even a small map by hand is _extremely_ time consuming, and not worth it unless you're making a meticously researched real life conflict - more scenarios == game longevity).

Without psychologizing it seems to me though as alot of people are not having problems with the CMx2 engine per se as much as it, and the game's scope, somehow shattered their expectations. Someone said something to the tune of, 'Well, what good is it if it only simulates an Iraq-type conflict'. Doh.

The engine is good, there is a huge amount of "WOW" factor there, but either way more needs to be explained or you've fallen short of modeling Syria.
What is missing more specifically? I see huge opportunities for scenarios and campaigns simulating anything from the initial Iraq invasion, to Operation Thunder Run, to Fallujah, to everyday skirmishes in both Iraq and Afghanistan.

A war with Iran would probably play out roughly by the same timeline, and I have great expectations for campaigns modelled after military operations conducted in the past six years (or even based on the 1991 invasion) - or even conjecture. And the engine, even now (it does feel rough and somewhat unfinished), seems to be able to make an excellent job out of that.

That's my two rambling cents.

How many of those complaining were aware of the decision? How many have been coming here often enough to see it? I'd wager many only glanced in here occasionally, if at all, to see if there were any major anouncements over the years. So for them it was a complete surprise that couldn't be inferred by past CM performances.

Apples got the inside scoop while the Oranges got the applesauce in their grocery bag.

Hee hee - Steve is grumpy and arrogant, life is good. Eggshells? We don't need no stinking eggshells! Shooting from the hip and the turkeys are falling like, well turkeys that have been shot from the hip.

Gawd I love this place.

By the way, the engine is great, still not sold on the whole Syria thing... I told them! I said WWII or ACW/French Indian War or Space Lobsters or somefink cool, but not asymetrical warfare! I even offered to beta test for them! But no, I am just some nutbar Canook with a head full of ideas and a wallet full of liquor store receipts. What was I saying...? Oh yes, I'm with Steve - quit your frigging whining already.

Wait... the PBEM files are how big!?

:mad:

Wasn't directed at you specifically, no need to get offended. But let me reiterate the question as to what it is that is lacking for you to model a war with Syria?

I do believe there's a kind of discord right now between what people expect and what BF has envisioned; and hence the strong feelings.

Extra file swap?

You mean the one between setup and the issue of orders for the first turn? That seems new.

BFD.

If this thread is about my thread about the PBEM size, well, let me say, no big deal. My thread WAS NOT A COMPLAINT! If the files have to be 14MB, they have to be 14MB. I understand. Every bullet is tracked now, right? So, the files get larger. I understand. I've already found a technical solution to the new facts of life. We move on now.

Please don't make me upset. I just got back from the bar....