A prime example of why gamers are whiners

Originally posted by Flanker15:

I'm not whining I'm trying to help by finding bugs and suggesting ideas that might make the game better.

Ofcouse as a war gamer I'm a chronic perfectionist.

My advice: Don't bother.

It’s not worth the frustration. Been there done that long, long ago. If they want my input they can pay me like my clients for software dev. I have been doing it for over 15 years now (but I doubt they can afford my rate). Besides, I do well enough I don’t have to work for hypocritical egotists that send me off-line, unsolicited profane emails...repeatedly. Oh yeah, I ‘still’ remember.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Runyan99:

Extra file swap?

You mean the one between setup and the issue of orders for the first turn? That seems new.

BFD.

No, you now only need two file-swaps per turn, rather than the three of CMx1.

BFD? Depends on your POV.

Heh... funny stuff guys! I posted to say you guys can be so focused on complaining that you completely overlook good stuff. And what do you do? Uhm... complain. You guys really don't see the humor in that?

I am serious about this though. The extra file swap for PBEM was, by far, the biggest gripe we had of a technical nature with CMBO. When we made CMBB it was brought up again, with a great deal of disappointment that we didn't redo the PBEM system. So here we are... brand new engine, and there you go... one of the most requested features and not a peep. Too busy complaining about what you don't have instead of what you do.

I'm not saying that you guys don't have a right to say what it is you don't like about the game. I'm not saying that you don't have a right to miss what isn't there. All I am saying is that you choose to see and not see what you want.

Oh, and Grumbling Grognard... [original post toned down]. If you are talking about getting emails from Fionn, he wasn't an employee of Battlefront at any tme, ever. He was very close to us for a while, but he sent some rather interesting emails to us that caused that to go away. He also was banned here almost as many times as Maximus. Just in case your memory needed some jogging.

Steve

* none of the 4 emails were profane.

[ July 29, 2007, 02:19 AM: Message edited by: Battlefront.com ]

E

So for them it was a complete surprise that couldn't be inferred by past CM performances.
Very true. I'm just pointing out that instead of being "surprised" by all the great stuff they didn't know about, some people choose to express their "surprise" about the stuff they assumed would be included and wasn't. And that is not a "surprise" :D

Runyan99,

If this thread is about my thread about the PBEM size...
You are only responsible for what you post, not what others post :D

I'm sure it's a good improvement. It is just too subtle.
As I said, it was the single biggest "I hate this about PBEM" feature. And with good reason, I freely admit. Especially since back then people were mostly on dialup at home and doing an extra 1mb file swap every turn was a real PITA. It's gone now and it is because PBEMers wanted it gone. I'm not expecting a THANK YOU, but it would be nice to see that someone noticed smile.gif Just like people complaining that they can't fast forward the first turn of WeGo and didn't notice that they no longer had to sit through a turn compile.

Anyway, my point is this... people are funny tongue.gif

Steve

Originally posted by Runyan99:

Steve, you guys are so awesome, if you look up 'awesomeness' in the dictionary, you will find a picture of the CMSF dev team.

Actually, as BS as that is, I would enjoy meeting you and Charles sometime. I'll buy. For real.

So what am I? Raw liver? I like to drink too!!!

Madmatt

Salkin,

The vocal minority never gets me down. I couldn't have survived this long in this business if I let it really bother me. I still have to deal with 'em though because if you've seen Forums where there isn't a firm hand on the dialog... it gets out of control fast. I'm not perfect, but I think most people would agree that this Forum is FAR more civil and productive than most other game Forums out there. Gotta be doing something right :D

Steve

We send Martin's paycheck to some country called Deutschland. I'm from the US so I am not sure where that is. I THINK it is somewhere near Germany, which is right next to England. In any case, it's over in Europe and it is too expensive for Americans to go there so I don't pay too much attention to where everything is.

;)

Steve

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

We have a multi-page thread complaining about the file size of PBEM turns. Yet we were told, by the PBEM fans, to include it no matter how big the file size was. That was the product of one of the most long, drawn out, emotional, vicious, ridiculous events on this Forum in its nearly 10 year history.

Yet no PBEM guy has yet mention that the extra file swap is gone.

I was wondering, too. But then i discovered, the PBEM players are still waiting to finish downloading their first turn... ;)

to include it no matter how big the file size was.
size does matter....be sure!

this Forum is FAR more civil and productive than most other game Forums out there
Now that I will sign any moment!!!!

He's living about 20 minutes from my grandma's home
20 minutes driving? That can be quite far - depending on the speed.

I mean with someone who (almost) runs over a Focke-Wulf while driving ont he Autobahn. And A Focke-Wulf goes over 600km/h...

Sundays are rough.

-----

Oh, and Grumbling Grognard... [original post toned down]. If you are talking about getting emails from Fionn...

Steve

* none of the 4 emails were profane. [/QB]

I was not talking about the good doctor at all. He and I parted on good terms the last time we exchanged emails a couple of years back and even had a game of CM:BO in which he kicked my ass.

But, as a matter of fact I don't EVER recall him using what I consider serious profanity in direct emails (ahole is not that bad IMO) and I am well aware he was never an official Battlefront employee.

[self edit it ain't worth it]

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

We have a multi-page thread complaining about the file size of PBEM turns. Yet we were told, by the PBEM fans, to include it no matter how big the file size was. That was the product of one of the most long, drawn out, emotional, vicious, ridiculous events on this Forum in its nearly 10 year history.

If only you guys could go back in time and, with firm resolution, turn deaf ears to the 'include PBEM/WEGO' crowd. So much time wasted bolting a trailer winch to a (potential) Lamborghini that could have been spent polishing and bug squashing. CMSF would have been released in a much more refined state.