Some CMx1 things I miss

Either I am missing them and they are there, or - as of right now - I miss them.

- Clicking on a unit and hitting enter and being able to see a bunch of stats about that unit (Is this somewhere and I dont know how to do it)?

- Toggles for showing trees (do I not know how to do it?)

- QB purchase options (please reconsider putting this back in. It may not be realistic, but it is so much fun)

- All my CMx1 hotkeys have changed. It is taking me forever to do everything. (I know I will learn it, but right now I am so slow)

Anyway, I am just so happy that the game works with my old, slow video card that I cant complain about anything.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by David Chapuis:

- Clicking on a unit and hitting enter and being able to see a bunch of stats about that unit (Is this somewhere and I dont know how to do it)?

There's no stats screen such as before, all the vehicle stats are shown in the bottom of the screen in tabs.

The reason is that the sources for BFC's data were top secret, and if the powers that be found out how accurate they are, Steve would be hanged for espionage. (Just kidding.)

- Toggles for showing trees (do I not know how to do it?)
Alt-t? Or was it something else... check the Hotkeys list.

- All my CMx1 hotkeys have changed. It is taking me forever to do everything. (I know I will learn it, but right now I am so slow)
It's all configured differently than before, but I think you'll learn the system. You can also edit the hotkeys by editing the appropriate text file. Just remember that orders are in tabs, but there are a few 'quick' hotkeys that work under all tabs.

Yeah a stat screen would be good, I like being able to check the kill tally for units at the end of a battle.

Also buying units for a quick battle would be excellent for custom battles, the current options are very broad. More difficulty options for fog of war and such?

Ohh and a right click pop up order list would be fantastic!

Originally posted by David Chapuis:

Adjustable waypoints.

Hear Hear!

One of the best feature additions to the series.

I miss the penetrations labels when a shell or missile hit a tank or apc
That would be cool to have back, same with stat boxes for my doods.

Being able to show all movement/targeting lines.
Loved that too. It helps you see the broader plan you've laid out, also adds to playability.

I want the VCR controls during the first run through a turn back.
Hear Hear!

Ohh and a right click pop up order list would be fantastic!
Indeed, it would. It would also make things easier on my mouse and wrist.

Another vote for having the timing delay clock back too.

I know I'm supposed to 'unlearn'(thanks Yoda!) but these are features that add to playability, reduce frustration, enhance intuitiveness, and wouldn't change the fundamental game play of CM:SF.

But still, an awesome game.

Most everything brought up in this thread is on our "list" to try and implement or add at some point.

This is the first game of an entire new engine and franchise. Some of you may remember how the original CMBO game was and how we updated and improved it with frequent and numerous incremental updates. You can expect the same this time around.

I have to add one caveat though. The game has been out for only about 15 hours and your all still stuck in CMx1 design ideology. There is nothing wrong about that, we expected that, but you also have to have some faith that we have a vision and design goal we set out to achieve with CMx2 games and to accomplish that some old practices and SOP's had to be altered or discarded outright. Eight years ago, nobody could have envisioned a design like CMx1 and how they would affect future game designs ever-after. Imagine what we can achieve this time with a new engine designed from the ground up to give us freedom to expand, modularity and

data efficiency.

Remember, you got the REAL team working on this game. We aren't some spoiled outside developer with their own hidden agenda, we are BATTLEFRONT and we invented this genre, so stick with us and you will be along for an awesome ride in computer gaming evolution.

Madmatt

[ July 28, 2007, 01:02 AM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

Originally posted by Madmatt:

Most everything brought up in this thread is on our "list" to try and implement or add at some point.

Glad to hear that. How about releasing a list of features you plan to implement, so we know not to request the same ones over and over? tongue.gif

I have to add one caveat though. The game has been out for only about 15 hours and your all still stuck in CMx1 design ideology.
I can only speak for myself, but I'm not. For I haven't played CMx1 in years. So I have no "burden" over from the CMBO UI for instance - but I have a lot of that burden from all the other games in existence. If I complain about some aspects of UI or controls (camera), it's not because of the way things were or weren't in CMx1, but because of the way things are naturally. Sure, some things you can learn anew, sometimes a new approach to things can be vastly better than anything before, but sometimes new is just worse.

The right-click camera pan function for instance is something one gets used to pretty quick, and it starts to feel "right" after getting used to. The left-click push-around camera on the other hand is just totally unnatural, contrary to every other system where you drag what you click, not invert-push* it.

* feels just as akward as it sounds.

I'll chime in here too!

We hear ya! Some of the things listed above our testers are still bugging us for even months after playing the game. So yeah, we need to put some stuff in that we simply didn't have time to add before release. Fortunately, these things are fairly easy to do and they aren't critical to the gameplay from the engine's point of view.

However, some things will not go back in. No matter what. Mostly because they are no longer relevant or are actually technically impossible. Fast fowarding through a WeGo turn is not possible. That's like asking to fast foward through CMx1's turn compile, because that is what that first "play" is. That's where all the calculations are happening! Funny that you guys are quick to complain about the lack of fast forward, but aren't even noticing that you're not waiting up to 5 times as long to even get to that stage :D Play again and see what I'm talking about. So even though you can't fastfoward each turn is still taking a lot less time overall.

Steve

Originally posted by Madmatt:

This is the first game of an entire new engine and franchise. Some of you may remember how the original CMBO game was and how we updated and improved it with frequent and numerous incremental updates. You can expect the same this time around.

I have to add one caveat though. The game has been out for only about 15 hours and your all still stuck in CMx1 design ideology. There is nothing wrong about that, we expected that, but you also have to have some faith that we have a vision and design goal we set out to achieve with CMx2 games and to accomplish that some old practices and SOP's had to be altered or discarded outright. Eight years ago, nobody could have envisioned a design like CMx1 and how they would affect future game designs ever-after. Imagine what we can achieve this time with a new engine designed from the ground up to give us freedom to expand, modularity and

data efficiency.

Remember, you got the REAL team working on this game. We aren't some spoiled outside developer with their own hidden agenda, we are BATTLEFRONT and we invented this genre, so stick with us and you will be along for an awesome ride in computer gaming evolution.

Madmatt

Well said Matt. When CMBO was first released i loved it but struggle to play it these days becausee of the enhancements CMAK has to offer - it kind of changes my style of play.

I bet BF has loads of great mods in the pipeline, just keep em coming please smile.gif and 10 out of 10 for CM:SF

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Funny that you guys are quick to complain about the lack of fast forward, but aren't even noticing that you're not waiting up to 5 times as long to even get to that stage :D Play again and see what I'm talking about. So even though you can't fastfoward each turn is still taking a lot less time overall.

Steve

You are right I didn't notice that, and it's sweet.

A good move!

On to things I miss: I miss the way that the camera zoom number keys kept you in the same place.

IE if I select a unit, and tab at level 2 I can see the unit. In CMx1, if I go 3-4-5 I can still see the unit. In CMSF I cant.

Similarly, tab (lock to to the unit) should always be a view in which I can see the unit. Otherwise its very disorienting.

GaJ

- adjustable Wapoints

- showing all Waypoints/Targets

- Datasheet with Thikness of ARmour, Type of Armour and MM that a Weapon can Penetrate at X Meters.

Thats what i really Missing. Those REd Xs are confusing me and i interpret them the Other way like "REd X no good for my Tank" wich is wrong.

I think some of you are still missing the point about the how the turns are calcualting. You cant fast forward a turn simply becouse it havent been calculated yet. In CMSF this happens in real time. where as if i have understood it correctly in CMx1 the turn was compiled and you then saw a playback of the turn. In CMSF its not a playback the first time through, its the actual turn. There is no compiling its realtime.