First impressions of 1.06

Originally posted by Lethaface:

KK I get it smile.gif

Actually still waiting for copy to complete :( . ExtHd slow as ****. My usb ports are a bit freaky and sometimes convert back to USB 1.0 spontaneously. They give electric shocks too ;)

Worst thing its actually an IDE connector housing so I could move my new 160GB hd directly in box and the old 40GB out. Since its not my system disk, the only problem it causes is copying 38,5 GB of data trough USB 1.0. Nice pile of dust on that new drive though... "10 seconds remaining, yeah right". :mad:

Anyways..(this bull crap helps me through the wait), thanks for the info!

Edit: Ah, you give me the excellent idea of implementing mods and still be able to play the game vanilla, without the cumbersome copy pasting going on! Having BFC SE version so it has to work :D

Put them master/slave on the same IDE cable while you copy everything you need over.

For the price of more advice, please consult my handy cost table.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Zatoichi:

OK - not meaning to hijack this thread, but I just quit the second mission in the campaign, and sure enough when I previewed the map, the red forces were scattered randomly in the open all over the place.

This is with a brand new campaign started in 1.06, not a saved game from 1.0.5.

Good grief. Have to test this myself but if this is accurate, I'd have to finish the kid gloves campaign in 1.05..

I like it so far. Much Improvment is the First Impression. Tryed first Mission of the Ghost Campaign and i must say it plays diffrent.

GREAT JOB BFC.

Hope there is more Patch like this be done. There are still more things that needs tweaking and fixing. But i like how you stick to your Product making it better and better after the First Selling Rush is over!

Great Company. You payback!

Originally posted by Other Means:

Put them master/slave on the same IDE cable while you copy everything you need over.

For the price of more advice, please consult my handy cost table.

Thanks for your kind advice smile.gif

Actually its just that i cant be bothered to disconnect the DVDrom & CRDW IDE's etc to make my cable's free and switch hd's and ................. u get it :D

The problem here is being lazy (read: enjoying some maroccan mud in the company of nice red wine) and being Dutch; we like to complain.

As a matter of fact, I might be interested in your services. What would your rate be for coming over and replacing * during my well deserved nightrest? :D

EDIT:

</offTopic>

To come to 1.06:

- Instead of making things slower, everything seems smoother and 'texture replacing' doesnt seem to happen anymore.

I get a very decent frame rate even in larger missions. Everything @max with 4xAA and 16xAnisotropic F. using my oldish xeon 2.66 / 1GB DDR / 7800GS.

- AI seems to be much better. Cant really explain yet, but they're harder to kill. Enemy inf. in trenches are a force to be reckoned with. The first training mission gave me 3 wounded & 1 lost stryker. smile.gif Rest of training missions have some problems due to the new Stryker AI (popping smoke and reversing). That feature must be a charm in scenarios though.

Overall pleased till now. Too early too say more.

[ February 05, 2008, 01:49 PM: Message edited by: Lethaface ]

Hi guys,

Just want to add my praise for the patch. Superb game now and very enjoyable.

Only problem I've had which I think was mentioned earlier in this thread, is that when I have tried to play the campaign again from scratch, the units are all misplaced, ie infantry out of trenches, static tanks on the road. This isn't me loading a 1.05 save, but start from scratch. Anyone else had this problem?

Regards, Darren

Well so far so good. That spacebar is amazing, just think, all the commands at a touch of a button.

Just think a few short days ago there wasnt going to be a menu of commands because the hotkeys were freekin ace. Well the spacebar beats the hotkeys hands down, probably the best improvement for me in the whole patch. That and the fact that a Stryker saw a T-72 and actually reversed pronto.

I really hope its not too late for the game though, 7 months later it plays quite well now. I would recommend it to anyone, especially at £15 here in the UK. Now thats a bargain.....

Next I shall try a human opponent. Thats the big test for me as Ive never completed one yet...

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm seeing.

I hope it's possible to release the corrected campaign file for download prior to 1.07 as I still haven't completed the whole thing - I keep restarting every time there's a new patch.

I don't mind waiting - there's a load of scenarios and maps out there thanks to the community, and 1.06 is making them seriously fun again.

Originally posted by Zatoichi:

OK - not meaning to hijack this thread, but I just quit the second mission in the campaign, and sure enough when I previewed the map, the red forces were scattered randomly in the open all over the place.

This is with a brand new campaign started in 1.06, not a saved game from 1.0.5.

I think I'm seeing this too. I started (and immediately surrendered) the first three campaign scenarios, and upon reviewing the map I see the red forces out of place: units sitting on bare ground next to trenches, units next to buildings that they usually occupied in the past, etc.

Anyone else see this? I hope it only affects the campaign and not all scenarios...

Same here about the campaign. Didnt get further then the 1st mission. Most of the troops seem to be in good places, about 20-30% are looking for their gold watches.

Even with the men in weird places, it plays way better as 1.05 smile.gif

More action, its easier to believe and its easier to get it done. I actually handled much quicker as a result.

Good Work! Finally everyone seems to enjoy it ;)

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Thanks for the feedback! We're looking into the Campaign issue.

Steve

I just did a quick test look at a couple of non-campaign scenarios, and they seem fine: the units are in the positions I expected rather than scattered randomly or sitting right next to what would be good positions. This is true both in the editor and in play mode.

So that seems good.

Got another minor glitch ,just for fun I tried the training campaign , everything works fine BUT when it comes to the Javelin and ARTY training , there's a hitch - with the new smoke and run routine for vehicles , as soon as the strykers see the tank targets they pop smoke and run ,(The javelin strykers can't run But they do pop smoke),only way I found to stop it was to put the vehicles on Pause.

Other than that , I'm having a ton of fun.

Lets see what I noticed from my one battle. This is comparing from previous patches

One I like the ranges given for the primary weapon. It tells the minimum and maximum range.

The rpgs seemed to be a bit more accurate than they used to be in 1.05, but much less lethal to strykers say in 1.03 or so.

I really like the fact I it won't change my refresh rate anymore. There is a big difference in eye strain between 85hz and 60 hz.

The vision of all units has drastically increased. It is nice to see that a sniper on the roof does not constantly disappear.

I have noticed that 1.06 has altered some of my scenarios currently under development. I played a couple this morning and they were definitely different. AI plans that were previously set as 'Not used' were reset to 'Use sometimes' as were all the other higher frequency scenarios, all 'Use sometimes'. Also, although the scenario was designed for a night when the moon was about half full and already set, it started with a full moon. I opened it in the editor and snuck a map preview and found that it was correct, resaved and everything was fine again.

It looks like the new patch does a one time (hopefully) re-edit of some of your scenarios, nothing drastic, just unexpected.

Syrian forces have much better night spotting abilities now. One Republican Guard squad spotted a tank at around 100m, a HUGE improvement over 1.05 when they couldn't see anything without some moonlight.

Originally posted by Omenowl:

Lets see what I noticed from my one battle. This is comparing from previous patches

One I like the ranges given for the primary weapon. It tells the minimum and maximum range.

Yes it does but “maximum range” is often beyond the range that you would employ it.

“We” are working on a feedback mechanism to give the player some sort of indication of hit / effect of a given weapon at a given range and this is the first part.

Yep, quick battle (that in-game ME in a village with mech platoon on both side) yesterday and wow. For the first time I can truly say that I really liked what I experienced and saw in CM:SF. I have to play some more (PBEM anyone?) but already:

- that spacebar-menu is great.

- reduced killing power of rpg is good.

- Improved vehicle AI! That AI Bradley did some impressive evasive movements after hit by rpg.

Great job BFC!

First Impressions:

-Graphics / Performance

Smoothed out on both accounts. Shadows aren't jerky anymore and don't flicker anymore.

Animations are smoother, and model detail doesn't get swapped from high to 'matchstick-men' so often anymore.

Zoomed out view gives you a nice sharp overview whereas before there was a lot of artifacting and shadows cut-off (at least on my rig) with unit detail repidly decreasing. All gone.

-Spacebar menu rocks! It's so much quicker and, at least for me, more intuitive.

TRICK: Sometimes I was fighting a bit with the controls to check a range, plot a route and when I made a mistake I would have to press the 'orders delete' button and start over.

Just press the space to bring up the menu and once again to get rid of it if you make a mistake with an order. It'll wipe the order clean. Much quicker.

-Weapon ranges and enhanced feedback about LOS in-game is a feature long wanted by myself so get a bettter feel about the weapons and the battlefield. My earlier suggested 'tables' are obsolete now. smile.gif YAY!

-Gameplay

Like said earlier its not so much about 'what will the AI do if I do this' anymore. You're just playing with soldiers and military hardware now and concentrate on the battle instead of the game mechanics! Great job!

Being able to finally hide your guys behind low walls and pick off targets as they come is a huge improvement as well as using low walls for hull down positions. Just like it should be!

These findings are based on Al Hufq scenario, turn-based.

Short play, but a very good improvement. Makes me want to be playing CMSF at full steam ahead again!

Thanks BFC!

[ February 06, 2008, 06:10 AM: Message edited by: Yskonyn ]

Originally posted by gibsonm:

“as well as using low walls for hull down positions. “

I wouldn’t, it wont stop APFSDS.

Ah well despite the apparent tactical error in using low walls as hull down, the system does work now. ;)

Thanks for the pointer, though! Ought to save a few Bradleys! ;)