First impressions of 1.06

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something that I really enjoy thinking of is the extrapolation of the progress made in the last, say, two months forward to the next 2,4,6, ... months. If the improvements keep coming at the present rate, CM:SF will evolve into a terrific game, and rapidly so.

Best regards,

Thomm

Second Impression here cause there is no other Threat around. ^^

I played the TF Thunder Campaign over new and the First Mission got Units not at their Position as it should be and it seemd tougher and bloodier. I lost 1 MBT and 10 Dead US Soldiers and about 20 Wounded but i killed 22 Enemy Tanks and half the Syrian Armymen.

Missionfile Broken or did they Change the Campaign?

Game plays totally diffrent now. Keep the Patches coming BFC!

Has anyone noticed MG teams getting stuck in trenches? At least 3 times on 1.06 the soldier carrying the MG tries to run out of the trench he's in, and can't make it. Usually he gets out if I change the movement order to a different direction, but if the movement order is to load into a vehicle I can't cancel the order and that unit is stuck for the rest of the game.

Thing I noticed... is a weird "dance" the guys do if I deploy them and then issue a "face" command while they are in a building, or on a roof. Same if I give an arc to target.

Example, on a roof, I tell them to face "that way". Most do, but 1-3 guys ends up running back and forth, back and forth...over and over. Eventually they stop, but it's really weird.

I started up the small stock scenario where each side has a platoon and an AFV to try 1.06. Everything seemed to be going fine, until a squad disappeared. I had moved a squad into the ground floor of the town center building in the middle of the map. I ignored them for a few minutes, then when I looked again, it was gone. No bodies, no men, no nothing. That make me kind of unexcited about 1.06

Originally posted by Runyan99:

I started up the small stock scenario where each side has a platoon and an AFV to try 1.06. Everything seemed to be going fine, until a squad disappeared. I had moved a squad into the ground floor of the town center building in the middle of the map. I ignored them for a few minutes, then when I looked again, it was gone. No bodies, no men, no nothing. That make me kind of unexcited about 1.06

If you'd watched, you'd have probably seen them disappear under heavy fire and each man be replaced by "!".

Originally posted by Other Means:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Childress:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MarkEzra:

I see that the crossing contiguous buildings bug is still festering:

//www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=52;t=003468;p=1#000000

While a great deal of work was done on the interior door and movement orders, I don't believe the roof top jump was addressed with this patch...I'm making a note of this for my 107 wish list. It may be more difficult to do without creating a situation where troops can be ordered (inadvertently) to jump off roofs. </font>

Originally posted by Childress:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Other Means:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MarkEzra:

I see that the crossing contiguous buildings bug is still festering:

//www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=52;t=003468;p=1#000000

While a great deal of work was done on the interior door and movement orders, I don't believe the roof top jump was addressed with this patch...I'm making a note of this for my 107 wish list. It may be more difficult to do without creating a situation where troops can be ordered (inadvertently) to jump off roofs. </font>

I don't think so. For one thing, the enemy strat AI was doing it's usual dumb stuff, and they were in a very secure position under very little or no pressure. They didn't get wiped out.

Runyan, Other Means was actually suggesting they routed. Currently when a unit does this they have a marker indicating such, which when dissappears (this is something we will likely expand on in the future). If you hadnt looked at them in several minutes it sounds like this was at the least a possibility.

If this didnt happen, youve found a problem that hasnt been reported to us. If you happen to have a save please feel free to forward it to us.

Dan

I've had the floating icons disappear, making me think some of my units had just disappeared, but if I zoomed and searched around a little, I could usually find a guy to click on, and the floating icon would reappear. Whether this is what happened in your case or not, I don't know.

Originally posted by Phoenix:

Thing I noticed... is a weird "dance" the guys do if I deploy them and then issue a "face" command while they are in a building, or on a roof. Same if I give an arc to target.

Example, on a roof, I tell them to face "that way". Most do, but 1-3 guys ends up running back and forth, back and forth...over and over. Eventually they stop, but it's really weird.

I'm pretty sure this is those soldiers attempting to find the best cover/view at that location after the facing command (or cover arc).

Note the change log:

• Soldiers are better at shifting positions (very short distances only) to get a clear LOF to a target, or to make better use of cover after a Facing command.

It seems the algorithm tries to jockey for a good spot and if it can't, eventually stops trying for a better location. Makes sense to me smile.gif

"No bodies, no men, no nothing."

From the beginning dead bodies were *supposed* to disappear from the map. I guess BRC found the framerate wasn't taking the hit they expected so they left them lying around. But wounded and panicked both tend to disappear. Maybe they get proper medic care, maybe they get captured, maybe they go MIA (somebody plows up their dental work 30 years later). The 'method' of removal is abstracted but they do go. I've never seen a healthy unit just 'pop' off a map.

I don't want to be a downer in this thread, because I think we're all enjoying 1.06...

However, has anyone else noticed any vehicle pathing issues? Last night on Al Huqf I played twice (once from each side). In both games while ordering my vehicle down a road with minimal waypoints I saw the vehicle go completely off the road which wound up screwing up the unit facing at the final waypoint.

I'm going to play some more tonight to see if this is a freak thing, but at least the game is fun enough now to warrant further "testing"!!

I played Al Hufq as well, and yes the Bradley did stray a bit from the road, cutting corners and only missing a building by a hair, but if you give it a hunt or slow order it goes pretty much where you want it to go. Besides in real life you wouldn't want to floor the pedal in tight alleys either! tongue.gif

Of course it does stray a bit from roads, still, maybe that's what you mean?

But no biggie I'd say.

This wasn't just cutting corners. In both cases the vehicle seemed to overshoot the waypoint at the corner which left it's flank exposed. This also caused the unit to approach the final waypoint at a bad angle, further leaving its flanks exposed. With the lethality of the weaponry in this game, even an extra second or two of having exposed flanks can make a huge difference.

The main reason I mention it is because the problem seemed to have gone away before 1.06.

Other than pathing issues, I am having a blast with the new version!! I played 3 scenarios last night, where pre-1.06 I could not sit through one entire scenario.