Space Lobsters of Doom origin?

After many, many months of using this name for chuckles, I have forgotten who came up with it and what the context was of its creation. I did a search of the Forums and the earliest one I found was from the summer of 2004. But it appeared to be already in common use, so it wasn't the original.

Just curious... can anybody find where it first came up?

Steve

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Space Lobsters Set Free! from 18 Jan 2003 on another website...

..and FINAL FRONTIER

Teenagers from Outer Space

1959, Approx. 86 min.

Aliens arrive on earth looking for a breeding ground for their monstrous Gargons (actually lobsters), which are raised for food. Knowing that the Gargons will spell doom for mankind, Derek, one of the titular space teens, tries to convince his shipmates to spare the human race. Will Derek be able to defeat his fellow aliens and stop the earth from becoming a giant lobster farm?

That might be the more likely source.

Tarkus, I know the reference is older than you link... though that is certainly the one that started it rolling around lately.

Seems that where ever it came from, it wasn't original to this Forum. I found this tidbit after Philippe's Google suggestion:

"English Program, Animation Studio, Montreal

INVASION OF THE SPACE LOBSTERS

They came from outer space… to teach us better workplace skills!

Now in animation, Janet Perlman’s Invasion of the Space Lobsters aims to promote clear language in the workplace via a madcap B-movie-style sci-fi romp. Drawn on paper with digital colouring and compositing, this 5-minute short is a co-production between NFB and the Canadian Labour Congress. Perlman was nominated for an Academy Award for her 1981 NFB short The Tender Tale of Cinderella Penguin. Invasion of the Space Lobsters is produced by Michael Fukushima.

Projected release: summer 2005"

Anyhoo... nothing mysterious about my request for the origin. I was just curious. Some of the best known Forumisms around here, like Bren Tripods, "somefink", von Shard's van, Mr. Peng's objection to smilies, and other things have well known origins. But Space Lobsters of Doom is shrouded in mystery :D

Steve

Actually it is a little known fact that the Space Lobster invasion began 2/3s of the way through the Triassic Period . Luckely for all land dwelling creatures, the Space Lobsters invaded the seas of the world and eventually brought doom apon their race by 'intermingling' with the rather normal and boring (if not tasty) earth lobsters.

The stories still pop up every once and a while, of intelligent lobsters being caught in traps. They plead for their lives and offer wishes, but eventually end up in a tank in the A&P store in Duxbury, Mass.

Are you sure it is not older than that, and maybe from another forum (as in CMBB)? I seem to have a vauge recollection of a grog-argument about armor penetration or StugIIIGs kill/loss ratio where someone bursted out that if we (ie you) didnt code the game the way he wanted it, we might as well have space lobsters of doom flying around nuking eachother...

Maybe Im just imagining things though...work's been rather rough lately.

Ah... the A&P in Duxbury... I knew it well. Nearby I even used to hunt their related cousins, Mud Clams from Planet X, before they managed to use their political Human stooges in the Mass Gov't to ban clamming under the guise of public health risk. I mean, what science out there shows that Boston's sewer discharge pipe in Boston Harbor poses a risk to health! It's all a big conspiracy to protect the evil Mud Clams!

Steve

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

I believe I was the first to use the complete phrase. The phrase "space lobsters had been floating around for several days, I took it and added the "of doom" to get the full version. It really seemed to take off from there.

Michael

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

I believe I was the first to use the complete phrase. The phrase "space lobsters had been floating around for several days, I took it and added the "of doom" to get the full version. It really seemed to take off from there.

Michael </font>

Originally posted by JonS:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Michael </font>