Armchair General interview: CMSF, Dropteam and... oh my!

From the exclusive interview:

Shockforce will soon enter beta stage officially. Progress is slower than anticipated, but what’s new? At the moment we’re more worried to become OBE (overtaken by events) in our hypothetical near-future scenario of a war in Syria to be honest…

Besides the known games, we also have a couple more surprises up our sleeves! Both are games which have not yet been announced, and at least one of these will be BIG news. And if I say BIG, I mean unbelievable freaking huge news. If all goes well, we’ll spill the beans already this month. Only so much: it’s WW2.

ACG: Speaking of Shockforce, can you tell us how it will be different than the previous versions and name a few features which will bring the series into the modern era? It isn’t even listed as "In Development" on your website. Should we take that to mean it still has a long way to go?

After you said that, we listed it immediately as “in development.” :)

As I mentioned above, we’re hoping to announce a beta formally pretty soon. So you can say that it’s a long way still I guess before we’re gold as we’re just leaving alpha, but then again the (by far) bigger stretch is already behind us.

CM: Shockforce will be totally different from the previous versions. It’s a totally new game, designed and coded from the ground up, and won’t share a single line of code with the first three CM titles. In a nutshell, what we’ve done is take the experience and the good stuff from the first CM games, digest it, and then design a completely new game with the goal of delivering the best tactical battlefield simulation out there. As such, I guess, the only thing that didn’t change from when Steve and Charles set out to make CMBO, is the goal. Everything else is different. :)

The new engine allows us to take advantage of all the new technology out there which wasn’t around when CMBO was made. From motion-captured human animations (for CMBO all animations had to be hand-coded! Motion-capturing didn’t even exist for games), to all sorts of new 3D card features (CMBO was made to the specs of the very first 3D video cards!), to an improved set of physics, ballistics and human simulations (like morale) in real time. People who are expecting simply a revamped CMBO or who think that we’re going to take the easy route and simply clone one of the existing RTS clickfest games couldn’t be more wrong.

Stryker_s.jpg

No doubt, Kettler has been there right away to post his pet criticism every time a new picture is posted. No matter how much work you put into something, someone's always there to spit on it. Let's just disregard the fact that these images are mind blowing for a wargame and a small company to boot. Coming from me I say, "Nice work gents!" I'm always at the edge of my seat to see what's coming next!

No matter how much work you put into something, someone's always there to spit on it.
That's the problem! There's no spit marks ont he Strykers! Surely the occasional angry townperson would spit on a passing vehicle. Obviously this needs to be fixed and fixed right away. Probably a 1 - 2 % chance of on uber close zoom you can see spit sliding down the Stryker.

smile.gif

Stryker's got a VERY wide 40 foot turn radius - which is especially cumbersome with the cage attached. But then again the M1117 'guardian" (does anyone actually calll it that?) also has a 40 foot turn radius, and maybe the Marine LAVs too. That's the price you pay for driving an armored schoolbus into battle. ;)

Can anyone who knows tell us how Stryker fares at executing a 3-point turn, or... ahem... parallel parking? :D

Beautiful screenshots.

I'm sure our resident modders such as MikeyD would love to get their hands on the Stryker.

Although I am looking forward to CMSF, you have to admit that the Stryker with the slat cage is butt ugly! :D

Is tan the correct colour? I thought they all had a greenish tinge as in the photo Ltcol West posted.

Hey, I know everyone is excited about the things that move around and shoot (myself included), but is the terrain shown in that Stryker picture at all part of the game build?

If so, I'm even more excited about this, than I am the very well-done Stryker model. Nice variations in the pavement, and it looks like the sidewalk curb is actually modeled in 3-D, as is the slight protrusion at the base of the building.

I look forward to seeing more. Hopefully soon, we'll actually get to see something from the game engine itself. . .

Cheers,

YD

Originally posted by gibsonm:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by LtCol West:

It looks like the game is coming along great and it is a huge leap forward from CM.

It will not be long until CM:SF looks just like real life!

pi20051028b16.jpg

Glad to see someone is following the SOP’s on stowage plans smile.gif </font>