Hate to say I told u so but.....

Written by me in 2005....

" Anyway I'll say my piece now. This whole new CM/Strike Force thing will be a disaster. Battle'front' (yes, I got it right this time) are obviously going after the FPS teenage crowd who buy MOH & Call of Duty, either that or they ARE going after the US defence contracts. Either way they're ignoring their natural fan base and the result is going to be as predictable as it is sad. Like many other software developers in the past have done, they have come up with a first class product, in this case CMBO/BB/AK and then promptly forgotten what it is that made these games unique in the first place. Guys, wake up!...maybe you should consider why people like myself write (sometimes) passionate messages on this forum -- we LOVE these games dammit!!

Nuthin more to say really. Guess the chickens are coming home to roost now eh boys.....?

- falco.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very prescient. Still, though -- I dunno man, seems like the people on this board like it.

Unlike most games, I think most of the folks who bought the game are on this forum. smile.gif User participation seems to be high.

As for uniqueness, I'd say CM:SF is in a class by itself. It really is the next evolution of the CM series. It has a large number of problems, but BFC is working steadily to fix them. Once they're all fixed, I have a feeling this'll be another game that I'll play for years.

What don't you like about it?

the reason there is alot of complaining on the forums about the game isnt because its different from older combat mission games but because therre are lots of bugs and issues people are having with the game.

If i could play the game right now id probably have as much if not more fun than ive had playing any of the other cm games.

my only problem is this: http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=000213

Originally posted by (fgm) falco:

Nuthin more to say really. Guess the chickens are coming home to roost now eh boys.....?

- falco. [/QB]

You are correct in that there is nuttin more to say falco. Great game, nice all around RTT feel, fantastic battles using modern day infantry and armour. ;) This chicken has nuttin more to say.

I've got neck pain, shoulders are all tensed and my right hand aches like hell. This is all due to CM:SF. The hours and hours each day

I've been playing it have nearly crippled me.

Can't wait for the next patch...So yeah...BFC I guess your chickens have come home to roost...

no chickens roosting here ..but I have 2 parrots. And jojo the african grey hates it when I have my headphones on and having a blast playing cmsf ..he's not getting as much attention from me lately. Lots of great guys making some very nice scenario's. Problems with the game? Sure there is. I'm still playing it though. "Nuthin more to say really."

Regards,

Gunz

Originally posted by (fgm) falco:

[QB] Written by me in 2005....

" Anyway I'll say my piece now. This whole new CM/Strike Force thing will be a disaster. Battle'front' (yes, I got it right this time) are obviously going after the FPS teenage crowd who buy MOH & Call of Duty, either that or they ARE going after the US defence contracts. Either way they're ignoring their natural fan base and the result is going to be as predictable as it is sad. Like many other software developers in the past have done, they have come up with a first class product, in this case CMBO/BB/AK and then promptly forgotten what it is that made these games unique in the first place. Guys, wake up!...maybe you should consider why people like myself write (sometimes) passionate messages on this forum -- we LOVE these games dammit!!

Could not disagree more strongly. The game is what you make it. CMBO/BB/AK were far from perfect, but folks persevered and used what they could. CMSF is the same.

I strongly feel that the designers of CMBO/BB/AK missed the boat in terms of exploiting the potential of the product for very little cost, but I'm not running that company.

Lead, follow or get out of the way, son.

Falco,

Let me get this straight... you're saying you are a chicken? Huh... strange choice, but I'll go along with it.

tharawdeal,

There seems to be an awful lot of gloom and doom in some of these thread
That's because a disproportional number of wargamers THRIVE on negativity. If they get handed something on a golden platter they'd probably complain about a thumb print on it or somefink :D

The game hasn't even been out for a month yet
It hasn't even been out 3 weeks yet smile.gif I do think it is funny how eager some people are to see us fail. Oh well, can't please them all, so no point trying.

Steve

Dude, if you put a thumb-print on my golden platter, I will be *very* upset.

I dunno, Steve, I feel like most of us are just eager for the game you guys obviously wanted to make. It just takes patience, and it's hard to have patience when you see how breathtakingly awesome CM:SF will be when fully patched.

Some people may be... overzealous in their attempts to get you to notice a pet bug, but it seems like 99% of the time it's still honest zeal for the product.

It's just too much love, man!

Now, I need to get home from the office so I can put the kids to bed and play CM:SF, it's already almost 10PM here. Cheers!

When, and only when LOS is not abstracted I might think about purchasing another Battlefront title.

I don't understand the decision to represent the game at the 1:1 level and then decide to abstract LOS. Bullets flying through the ground, through walls and through multiple buildings is unacceptable.

So, I will check the game out several patches down the road, and see if these LOS issues have been resolved.

My hunch, however, is that this is a design decision made by the programmer as some sort of MacGuyver fix. The entire LoS system in this game is a total fiasco so that is why my money is on the latter rather than the former, and no I am not talking about a proper LoS tool.

Phillip,

I dunno, Steve, I feel like most of us are just eager for the game you guys obviously wanted to make. It just takes patience, and it's hard to have patience when you see how breathtakingly awesome CM:SF will be when fully patched.
Not true for people like Falco. They wanted CMx1 with a few minor tweaks. That isn't what we delivered and therefore it's doubtful they will come around anytime soon to do anything but take ill informed and ill conceived potshots at us.

InvaderCanuk,

When, and only when LOS is not abstracted I might think about purchasing another Battlefront title.
All I can do is honestly advise you to start looking for a substitute.

I don't understand the decision to represent the game at the 1:1 level and then decide to abstract LOS. Bullets flying through the ground, through walls and through multiple buildings is unacceptable.
Some of these are the results of bugs, not of abstractions. There is a difference.

The decision has been explained in detail in several threads. The short of it is this... LOS is the most computationally intensive game element, possibly excepting pathing. It was directly simulated in CMx1 because the terrain and units were so massively abstracted. Therefore, we had the horsepower to do direct LOS because it really didn't mean anything special to do it since we didn't have to be very precise about it. Now that units are not abstracted to the same degree (hardly at all), and terrain is vastly more complex, a modest about of LOS abstraction is required. The end result is that CM:SF, with its abstracted LOS, is still far more accurate than CMx1 was with its highly abstracted terrain and units.

But if you don't see it that way, and instead wish to focus on a single tree instead of the forest, that is your choice. The choice, however, means you will never buy another Combat Mission game for a VERY long time because the LOS abstraction will remain for the life of the CMx2 engine. If, however, you really mean getting the abstracted LOS to work properly within the context of the game, then stick around. We'll have that in a fairly short length of time.

Steve

Taken straight from the manual (p.4):

Unlearning Combat Mission

Gamers familiar with the original Combat Mission series will quickly figure out that we haven’t spent 3 years simply redoing what we already did. Instead, when we started working on CM:SF we decided, from the start, that nothing was sacred. We set out to build a better game engine and anything we felt holding us back from pushing forward was changed or abandoned completely. Yet at the same time we tried very hard to preserve the core of what made the original Combat Mission great.

The resulting game probably has, feature for feature, more differences with the earlier Combat Mission games than you might expect to see. It will probably take some time to really get used to the differences, though we are confident that once the initial surprise of how different the game is you’ll be fine. Just like many of you were fine playing Combat Mission for the first time after years of wargames that looked and felt like paper and dice board games. Back then we called the process “unlearning”, so perhaps now we should call it “re-unlearning”!

---------------

Think about that before bashing the game...

[ August 13, 2007, 11:02 PM: Message edited by: Truppenfuhrung ]

I predicted back in 2005 that I wouldn't be interested in buying CMSF and guess what, I was right! It has nothing to do with the readiness of the game though-I just have absolutely no interest slogging it out in boring desert landscapes looking for Syrians. CMAK wasn't able to do it for me with Germans and Italians and CMSF certainly won't do it for me with Syrians or insurgents. Wake me up when the next WWII installment comes along.

The game as it stands has VERY serious pathfinding and LOS issues but I have a suspicion most of these are just plain bugs and not inherent design flaws. AI is also not up to scratch right now. However, I'm surprised at how much fun I'm having EVEN NOW! I played "dawn patrol" in 2-player hot-seat mode yesterday and had one of my most fun games yet - and that scenario was user-created since the game came out. If it takes too long to fix all the bugs then I might tire of the game but right now I'm enjoying it and looking forward to future patches.

Agree about the modules. *cough British cough* :D

Originally posted by whaco:

You are correct in that there is nuttin more to say falco. Great game, nice all around RTT feel, fantastic battles using modern day infantry and armour. ;) This chicken has nuttin more to say. [/QB]

Yes.

I've wanted to make this game for 3 years. Too bad my boss doen't think like me.

Great game Steve, Charles, et all.

E

I can't believe that guy had nothing better to do than wait 2 years to throw out yet another sour grapes comment. Come on dude, don't you think BFC knows about the issues they have with the game? They are working on fixing them as we speak.

Hasn't the leadership of BFC made clear that design decisions have been made and they are sticking to them?

If you have something constructive to contribute, go ahead, if you want to play CMx1, then go ahead, I still am. If CMx2 isn't your cup of tea, then don't buy it.

*cough* Nato V Warsaw Pact *cough*

I think he's happy now. He got a little bit of attention, so that's ok. Perhaps he'll need some more days until he notices that he made a total fool of himself. Or he was serious with his FPS comparison, in which case he'll never notice as his brain power isn't sufficient. Quick, let's use the pointy sticks to make him post some more... tongue.gif