Old Timers ... Remember When

Joe: I think my Panther on your right flank ended up winning it against a determined charge by your British armored cars and infantry

You know I actually remember that, too. A fall scen. If memory serves it was a auto select allied probe. One hell of a battle. A tremendous stand by your troops. A great victory for you and a proud defeat for me.

I'll contact you for a PBEM when the stork arrives.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Joe Shaw:

Kind of makes you look back fondly on Benny Manieri

No, Joe, it does not. Thank you ever so much for reminding me of him. I had successfully purged him from my mind until I, stupidly, opened your thread to read. What the hell was I thinkin'? </font>

Originally posted by CRourke:

I remember when those guys at Bigtime Software announced that they working on 'Computer Squad Leader'. Ok, back to lurking.

Yeah, and the description of how WEGO worked. I recall thinking at the time ... well, yeah ... IF it works.

Joe

Originally posted by Martyr:

Hey--how come all you 1999 fellows weren't wiped out in the great server crash of May 2000??

As I recall the ones who lost their member numbers had to have actually participated in the "Night of the Refreshing Monkeys" ... I think I was on the road or something.

Anyway some lost their member numbers and some didn't.

Joe

Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by benpark:

Let's get ready to Valllllllleeeyyy of Trooouuubbllee!!

You are officially a n00b if you said that without first playing 5,000 games of Reisberg and Last Defense (and probably even more games of Chance Encounter). </font>

Yes, I did indeed play "Chance Encounter" many many a time. But "Valley of Trouble" was pure digital addiction for me. I was a mere lurker for the roll out of the beta days.

The first scenario I do will be a remake of "Valley of Trouble". Camera shake, here I come.

Originally posted by CRourke:

I remember when those guys at Bigtime Software announced that they working on 'Computer Squad Leader'. Ok, back to lurking.

Yeah. But did you play Flight Commander 2, Over the Reich and Achtung Spitfire! ?

The really good old days....

I remember this also and remember how pleased I was when I heard the news. After suffering through the Keith Z days and

Close Combat hearing that BTS was going to work on Computer ASL was so exciting.

CMBO, CMBB and CMAK did not disappoint...

I suspect CMSF will be the same...

bobo

I liked OTR ok, but I think FC2 was better. As I remember, Atomic, like BT, started out making a computer version of squad leader, but instead went over to real time. I spent my fair share of time playing that demo scenario for CC1. Not a bad game, especially early in the series, but no CMBO. Anyone else play TotP or PitS back in the old days?

I also remember that on the old BT forum, you logged in with a member number.. I think it was 7 digits or so.. I had mine memorized.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

The really, really old timers remember Avalon Hill's Under Fire on 5-1/4" floppy.

Or B-1 Bomber on cassette tape. ;)

There was a hunt-the-Bismarck game from the B-1 people, too. Both of those games pushed my TRS-80 (with 4k RAM!) to its limits.

Originally posted by JohnO:

My very first war game was Kampfgruppe from SSI on my Commodore 128 computer

Pffft Commodore 128 isn't old!

Tandy coco, now that's old.

I think Kampfgruppe was my first Computer Wargame as well, but it was SSI's Panzer Strike that I first lost my heart too.

I think I played the campaign game of that over and over..

and over..

and once I got sick of it, I played it some more. :D