WW2 game?

Besides the known games, we also have a couple more surprises up our sleeves! Both are games which have not yet been announced, and at least one of these will be BIG news. And if I say BIG, I mean unbelievable freaking huge news. If all goes well, we’ll spill the beans already this month. Only so much: it’s WW2.

I'm a bit surprised that the above statement from Moon hasn't raised a few more comments than it has.

Speculation is, of course, fairly pointless but fun nontheless.

So, what might it be?

Land, sea or air? Assuming it's a BFC game then the former has been their area of expertise up 'til now, so let's run with that.

Since we've been promised a WW2 CMX module already, then tactical level seems unlikely.

So maybe we could be looking operational. But this might conflict with CMC, so perhaps not.

Grand tactical; companies and platoons? Now that would be very nice, especially if WEGO. Not much out there at that scale. Throw in some command orientation and it would have my very serious attention!

I suppose the WW2 crowd will just have to wait with baited breadth.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm ... I wonder what Steve's response would be if asked what game he would LIKE to do, money no object, programming no object, what would be the best game in the world ... perhaps something like this ...

So if I had to make anything it would be a strategic level, Eastern front game.
But then he might well go on to say something VERY much like, or even exactly like, or even EXACTLY the following:

Man, oh, man I don't think that would sell very well.
If, that is, one WERE to ask the question and have, let's say just for instance, I don't know ... RECORDED his answer or something.

I'm just saying IF you know ...

Joe

Land, sea or air? Assuming it's a BFC game then the former has been their area of expertise up 'til now, so let's run with that.

It hasn't always been. Back when they were called "Big Time Software" they used to make some kick-ass air war games. I'm still sad we didn't get a Pacific War version of "Over the Reich" and "Achtung Spitfire".

Jim, hi,

“And if I say BIG, I mean unbelievable freaking huge news. If all goes well, we’ll spill the beans already this month. Only so much: it’s WW2.”

Does sound very good, thanks for keeping us on the ball… I missed it for one.

But when was this posted by Moon? Are you saying there may be an announcement this month of something big?

All the best,

Kip.

Originally posted by kipanderson:

Jim, hi,

“And if I say BIG, I mean unbelievable freaking huge news. If all goes well, we’ll spill the beans already this month. Only so much: it’s WW2.”

Does sound very good, thanks for keeping us on the ball… I missed it for one.

But when was this posted by Moon? Are you saying there may be an announcement this month of something big?

All the best,

Kip.

It was out of the Armchair General interview. We've only got a week left in July so I'm guessing some time in August.

My vote is for a Pacific war game. Island hoping warfare complete with Naval bombardments, airstrikes, beach landing, naked hula girls and the works all ala Combat Mission.

Japanese lite soldier banzi charges, small blue water engagements with landing craft, thick jungle fighting complete with civilians.

Cool, rules.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Who cares? Combat Mission: Campaign was "announced" over nine months ago and there still isn't a shred of news beyond the initial handful of screenshots.

True enough. Whatever the WW2 game is, once it is announced, that only means the beginning of a year long wait until we get our hands on it.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Who cares? Combat Mission: Campaign was "announced" over nine months ago and there still isn't a shred of news beyond the initial handful of screenshots.

Agreed with CMC - this new one, however, appears ready to roll - I want to believe smile.gif :

The news we've leaked recently in the Armchair General interview (see previous blog entry) about Battlefront soon announcing (and releasing) a new WW2 game

Originally posted by sgtgoody (esq):

Unless there has been a major change in interests BFC have consistantly stated that they will not be making a PTO game.

This quote is out of context. We said that with the old (then current) CM engine we would not make a PTO game, because the engine could not be adapted sufficiently to properly model that theater. Instead, we decided to first make the new CM engine, which is a lot more flexible.

Martin

I just hope whatever is in the offing is for OSX ,as I've only just bought a bleedin' great dual G5 and am having to sell ALL *weeps* my OS9 bootable CM compatible hardware.

*twitch*

Any hint of a clue on system requirements, cards etc????

Martin,

“You should check out Dropteam though - it runs on OSX as well as the new Intel Macs, and we'll be announcing a WW2 mod for it soon, too.”

Now that is news smile.gif … Dropteam does nothing for me due to the setting, I have no imagination… science fiction is waaay beyond my imagination… but WWII version may well be fun.

Will give it a go for sure…

All the best,

Kip.