CAUTION, Will have screenshots - Scenario Design

Section 4, Wicky on Saturday if you can, is important. Here you can see the dissimular objectives. You will see how to assign a terrain objective, who can see it, and point worth, and how you just paint it on the map, or a unit objective [destroy this unit].

gibsonm, yes it is #4, sorry was working on other things, haven't been in the thread here till now. Also, first section, a couple places it says latter when later is meant [thanks hunterr for the email pointing that out]

Scenario designer tip: Designing the scenarios takes longer now. Not the initial map creation, but all the fine tuning with flavor objects, wall and window changes, door placements, wall removals, wall color changes, etc.

Rune

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Section 1 Orientation – covers what is in the scenario editor and a brief outline of what it does. (PDF)

Section 2 Creating the Map – using the map editor and creating the map your pixel soldiers will fight on. (PDF)

Section 3 Purchasing and deploying Units – how to purchase, edit and deploy on the map your combat teams. (PDF)

Section 4 Setting the mission and objectives – how to set what are the victory conditions for your scenario. (PDF)

Section 5 Creating AI Plans – how to create a cunning and variable plan for the AI commander to follow.(PDF)

Section 6 Finishing Touches – creating tactical maps, inserting the mission orders for each side and general tidying the scenario up sort of stuff. (PDF)

by George McEwan and Mark Gibson (ta Mace)

[ July 15, 2007, 03:29 AM: Message edited by: Wicky ]

Oddly enough the pics are now really blurred for me too. Possibly because I'm at the office today using a POS desktop here.

In any case, I am very impressed with how easy the scenario & map maker / editor are to use. I can only imagine that my concerns about creating AI plans / scripts for quick battles were unfounded.

Thanks again all for posting this stuff.

PS - My only regret is I will be off fishing the week of the 23rd... perhaps I'll have a health issue the 25th and return home that night... ;)

Originally posted by Dirtweasle:

PS - My only regret is I will be off fishing the week of the 23rd... perhaps I'll have a health issue the 25th and return home that night... ;)

I am sure, for a fee, certain forumites may be willing to cause this health issue. ;)

Hope you like baseball bats!

[ July 13, 2007, 07:43 AM: Message edited by: Dr. Zoidberg ]

Section 1 Orientation – covers what is in the scenario editor and a brief outline of what it does. (PDF)

Section 2 Creating the Map – using the map editor and creating the map your pixel soldiers will fight on. (PDF)

Section 3 Purchasing and deploying Units – how to purchase, edit and deploy on the map your combat teams. (PDF)

Section 4 Setting the mission and objectives – how to set what are the victory conditions for your scenario. (PDF)

Section 5 Creating AI Plans – how to create a cunning and variable plan for the AI commander to follow.(PDF)

Section 6 Finishing Touches – creating tactical maps, inserting the mission orders for each side and general tidying the scenario up sort of stuff.

The available variations in orders and movement attitudes is going to be great.

The ambush at a set distance command will be especially useful. If the Syrian side does not have good atgms and/or armour for a scenario the last thing you want them to do is fire too early and provide a few minutes of target practice for an American unit they can't even reach.

Do inexperienced units have a chance to break fire discipline in these cases?

Can you put in commands about how to use artillery in the AI script? I would want the Syrians calling everything they had early since the C3 issues make it so hard to get it going at all as I understand it. How about pre-registered coordinates?

game is looking great, I can't wait! :cool:

"Can you put in commands about how to use artillery in the AI script?" There's a couple scenario on the disk where the first thing you'll have to contend with is incoming artillery (reminded me of a couple favorite old CMx1 battles). So the answer is yup. I haven't done it myself and don't know how its done but... yup! :D

Section 6 Finishing Touches – creating tactical maps, inserting the mission orders for each side and general tidying the scenario up sort of stuff. (PDF)

nice manual but unfortunately it just makes me want the game all the more.

A quick question though, what is the range of the "incidentals" like - is it limited to bus stops and other bits of urban decor, or does it include burned out tanks, trucks and cars? to give a bit more cover and illusion of somewhere thats already seen fighting.

the maps and shots I've seen so far all look a little "clean" - pre-battle stuff that looks great, but lacks rubble. (then again, if we can add that type of thing in later as mods that would be amazing.)