CAUTION, Will have screenshots - Scenario Design

What are the "red carpets" for? Is this to indicate where soldiers can fire out of windows?

The capabilities of the editor are certainly very impressive. I particularly liked the blocks of flats or government offices in the distance in the example. They would be a great place to put snipers!

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most impressive - thank you for your efforts in putting this together Rune

However, I have a comment that I hope will be constructive in some way. Primarily, I cant help thinking that the town you are building looks very 'American'. Big and open.

Syria is a land that has been intensively lived in for many many thousands of years. Over this time buildings go up in former gardens, houses are extended and open space is consumed to generate ever denser housing - what you show in your example just doesnt seem to reflect this.

A walk arround in seriously old cities in the medeteranian area feels almost claustraphobic. Tall buildings, very narrow alley ways and narrow roads

_41541068_street203b.jpg

Why do you think Fiat make such small cars !

I realise not everywhere looks like the picture and you are putting this example together to demonstrate for us, but it might be something to bear in mind.

Thanks,

"Elevation Changes

I’ll start the map by creating the general lay of the ground using the elevation tool. Best to think of this as painting contour lines on the ground.

Adding roads.

You can work off a map, but for our fictional scenario I’ll work from pure inspiration."

Can't see if you can import scanned maps and trace contours, roads etc directly over them or is the map editor still working on a blank canvas like in CM1?

The good news is that it's up to you, the player, to create the maps as you would like. The game allows you to build your own buildings and arrange them as you like. The tile system allows you to create alleys as small as 4-8 meters in width. It's all a question of how much time you want to invest into it.

Martin

Originally posted by Moon:

The good news is that it's up to you, the player, to create the maps as you would like. The game allows you to build your own buildings and arrange them as you like. The tile system allows you to create alleys as small as 4-8 meters in width. It's all a question of how much time you want to invest into it.

Martin

:eek:

I'm impressed. tongue.gif

Originally posted by Cpl Steiner:

What are the "red carpets" for? Is this to indicate where soldiers can fire out of windows?

Red carpet? Are you referring to the place holder floor textures in earlier builds? They're already gone (no point in keeping rugs when armed men in ****ty boots are storming through the building).

Originally posted by Sergei:

Red carpet? Are you referring to the place holder floor textures in earlier builds? They're already gone (no point in keeping rugs when armed men in ****ty boots are storming through the building).

I was referring to the top image in the following. Are these red rectangles floor textures or do they have some other function, like showing where soldiers have to stand to shoot out of windows)?:

Scenario_Tutorial_9-53_img_27.jpg

Wicky, if you can post the third section on thursday, it would be appreciated.

Designer tip: When you merge buildings together, you should remove the walls inbetween the buildings to give more of a flow to tropps moving inside [remember internal walls and stairs and doors are NOT shown] UNLESS you want a load bearing wall in between. Generally unless a large flat warehouse type building, I remove the walls if the two building are the same height, and leave them is you put a 2 story building next to an 8 story building as part of the same building.

Rune

Secondary tip, if the buildings are a different width, remove the wall for the smaller building, but leave a wall with just a door on the larger building.

This keeps the buildings appearing as the same building, but leaving a path for troops to move from one to the other.