Opinions of 1.05?

trick question - which tank belong to which original path?
tongue.gif hehe, nice case.

my opinion of 1.05;

i am more than happy about;

- semi fluid TC´s wich dont poke out of the hatch until their death.

- weapon teams on rooftops, and even all rooftops. thanks!

- better infantry behaviour all in all.

- troops/vehicles also use their huge ammo supplie now and engage in a convinient way(at least US side ;) )

- much better working quick battles

- WeGo replay fixed up quiet a bit.

the things i still miss;

- Hide and Cover arc are still a nogo. i dont know whats against that but it needs to be in at least for WeGO.

- Cover arc extendable behond the map edge. you ever tried to cover a corner, all of it!?

-units in revers slope position are still ignored even when in a cover arc. mostly you can hit em without problems but they can pound you a whole round becouse no one cares to shoot at it.

- and vehicle facing is still a lottery. if its really such a big problem not to have "cover arc" and "face" command working at the same time, than pleas put "face" into another group...but its a pain as it is now. quiet often when you move a vehicle you have to cancle its arc becouse it rotated to a not wanted direction at the last waypoint, issue a rotate, wait a turn, issue cover arc again = not convinient ;)

thats the only thing i miss wich was right in 1.01, there was no auto rotate wich thinks to know where you want the vehicle pointing to.

iam pretty happy about 1.05, nothing was made worse, and quiet some things changed for the better.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was stunned to notice what US squad did after order them to assault. Squad split in two and other half did the "assault" and other half was for support and then moved in. It worked so smooth and looked so easy (it isnt :D ) and soldiers responded to enemy fire more faster than earlier.

One thing bothers me. Machinegun team. The "deploy" order. when ordering that order it is so hard to get that Machinegunner to deploy his weapon so it points to the direction I want. For example on the roof this is hard. can this be done by using "Face" order? or is this going to be "upgraded" so it would be easier to deploy the machine gun so it points to the wanted direction?

Well Ive yet again uninstalled this game from my PC. No more installations for me now. After 6 months I just cant be arsed with it anymore to be honest. Nothing whatesoever in a Marine Module will make me buy it.

Looking forward to a WW2 version, however, a word to BFC. Youve used up your reputation on me with this game and so you wont be getting an automatic sale. I will try the demo and read the reviews and if it has improved I will buy it.

Word 2, get your act together and get that right Mouse button working instead of all those stupid hotkeys [which I never use anyway].

Cheers for the game. Looking forward to your next one.

GSX

Originally posted by GSX:

Well Ive yet again uninstalled this game from my PC. No more installations for me now. After 6 months I just cant be arsed with it anymore to be honest. Nothing whatesoever in a Marine Module will make me buy it.

So what's changed since the 21st September? Then you said:

Totally agree. The game is OK for what it is. BF never said it would be any more. I simplu played it and moved on as I suspect its meant to be. I will see what the next module has to offer and maybe play that too.

Lighten up and enjoy it for what it is and stop crying about what it isnt. If I can get round this fact anyone can, believe me.....

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=52;t=003023;p=3#000059

Well, four months as of today. I have a feeling it was expectations around 1.05 fixing a lot. It has definiely made it more playable, but still a lot of issues around. I can completely understand the feeling. If I hadn't already invested a lot of my time in CMSF, I would probably feel very similar.

Word 2, get your act together and get that right Mouse button working instead of all those stupid hotkeys [which I never use anyway].

Cheers for the game. Looking forward to your next one.

GSX

I totally agree. The cumbersome sorting through of the existing menus is a major negative and makes CM:SF a lot less fun to play than it deserves. When I think about it, this is one of the few reasons why I don't play CM:SF as much as i'd like too. We really need the RMB menu brought back. I'm curious what the official take on this is.

[ December 21, 2007, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: Spindry69 ]

Well, I finally got the Paradox patch downloaded last night and have spent a couple of hours this morning trying it out. Awesome! I played three quick battles, all at night, and with my crappy tactics, I was soon able to appreciate the new dynamic lighting effects from my burning wrecks. I had no problems with vehicle or infantry pathing either although I was playing on open or forest maps. The new Open meeting MAD map is a beauty, thanks to whoever contributed that one.

Later, I'm going to fire up a daylight scenario and see how that handles. Keep up the good work guys. And have a happy holiday.

The cumbersome sorting through of the existing menus is a major negative and makes CM:SF a lot less fun to play than it deserves.

Have to agree, the menus are cumbersome.

Still some issues:

1. wego blasted holes in walls still appear as blasted already when i 'rewind' the video.

2. Target line is 'bouncing' up and down all over the place when I try to target upperfloors or at range. This is a game breaker for me at the mo'. Wasn't getting this problem with 1.4

[ December 22, 2007, 01:59 AM: Message edited by: vincere ]

I just read GSX's apocalyptic reply about uninstalling the game. Hm. I really don't get it. Getting all worked up about shortcuts. it's like the "outdated graphics" argument about wargames. Totally misplaced. the point being all the things BFC GETS RIGHT even at its worst which exceeds anything the market can throw at you at any time.

Well I have to admit this is starting to get very frustating, I was hoping to finally start the campaign with 1.05 and even start some PBEM games, but this low wall LOS issue makes any scenario that has walls in it unplayable, so again, I will put this game away until 1.06 comes out. :rolleyes:

I want to give BFC the benefit of the doubt based on CMx1, but these bugs are steadily eroding my enthusiasm for the whole CMx2 series.

To continue thewood's previous discussion ,I have just played a scenario with T72 vs. Stryker situation.

I ordered a hunt move to the stryker into the street, then face a T72 at roughly 150 metres.

Then he was only firing its M2 on the tank.

I mean why a vehicle could not at least auto-reversing to take cover like in CMX1 days?

Another issue is the hand to hand combat , BFC said it's modelled, but if two soldier are on the roof with no ammunition, they would just do nothing. OR maybe anyone has seen casualties without using ammo?

Originally posted by Melnibone:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by GSX:

So what's changed since the 21st September? Then you said:

Totally agree. The game is OK for what it is. BF never said it would be any more. I simplu played it and moved on as I suspect its meant to be. I will see what the next module has to offer and maybe play that too.

Lighten up and enjoy it for what it is and stop crying about what it isnt. If I can get round this fact anyone can, believe me.....

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=52;t=003023;p=3#000059 </font>

^^

i agree...i find it boring as well, no matter how many times you patch this game theres just no variety to it....i just dont find this as fun as WWII, i find myself more immersed in the other games

nothing like hearing a Tiger coming at you and you have no way of fighting against it :D

GSX, what command level are you playing at? Also, are you playing small battles? I find that Elite can get to be a bit of a grind, toning it down spices things up a bit. Playing small platoon-or-two engagements with infantry is also great now that 1.05 has made so many improvements to infantry behavior, and it's also a welcome break from the norm.

Have you tried building scenarios? Like... a supply company holed up in a village at night, under attack by a battalion's worth of fighters. It's a brutal scenario, the US does not have overwhelming firepower, but it's definitely winnable as both sides. I built one along those lines over Christmas, great fun.

There are a lot of options, honestly. A short time ago I was also feeling very constrained by the game, like I had squeezed the fun out of it in a relatively short period of time... turns out I just hadn't tried everything. Give it another crack, try building some unique scens, playing with different command levels, etc., and maybe it'll pop for you like it did for me.

Cheers.

I dont like thew way WEGO plays, I dont like the scale for RT either. I cant be arsed with hotkeys, I mean what game uses so many and what RT game has such a dire interface, no true RT fan is going to fall all over themselves for this one.

WEGO is the main fault with CMx2...

I will not buy any new game from Battlefront, until they return to the nice WEGO paradigm used in CMx1 as "core" of the engine. The realtime implementation of WEGO in CMx2 really sucks.

I haven't seen QB fixes mentioned in any recent patches; if I were BFC I'd be looking at making the engine run the way they want it to before getting into something as complex but tangential as QBs. Play scenarios, or download QB map packs from CMMODS. Those have great AI opponents attached to them as I understand it.

I think it's fair to say that a lot of people are waiting for CMx2WW2. But I really believe that, if you think CM:SF is repetitive or dull (or both smile.gif ), giving some more varied scenarios a try on different settings might be the ticket. Not every battle has to be a deliberate company attack with artillery support and tons of Javelins. Really, for me it's the oddball battles that are the most fun, WW2 or otherwise.

To that end, the campaign and included scenarios are great, but if you want more variety try rolling some of your own, or playing CMMODS stuff.

I might be misreading you though. What makes the battles repetitive and dull for you?

I have to wonder why modern battles are dull while ww2 battles would not be, given the same engine and same restricted level of units.

CMX2:WW2 is not going to be the grog's delight in obscure vehicles that CMX1 was, so I hope that no-one is expecting that. If they are, they will be disapponted. I rather suspect that the issue is that some people aren't so interested in Modern warfare, so while WW2 might be no less repetative, they are more engaged by the subject matter. If that is the case, complaining about the game being dull as if that was an inherent design flaw is churlish.

The limited force selection (i.e you can't pick your force like you did in CMX1) might be an issue that has reasonable roots - I can see that limiting the scope for some people.

Well, limited force selection is a problem with the current QB system, definitely. If you're building scenarios it's not really an issue.

Since at the moment QBs are just scenarios that you don't personally have to build I usually just take the extra 20 minutes, set up a scenario as I like it, and then play around with force differences to my heart's content.

I can usually make 5 or 6 "interesting" force pools for each battle that I build / set up, with only a minute or two of clicking in setting up differences. It's like the old QB setup, only I can make sure the AI's set of base plans is comprehensive.

As for WW2 versus modern, I think you might have hit the nail on the head. I'm not sure it's churlish to hold the "modern == dull" opinion, though, anymore than it's churlish to prefer WW2 in Northern Africa to Southern Italy. Some things just fit some people better. Modern is far less evenly matched... people looking for that will need to use some imagination to get there.

Originally posted by Phillip Culliton:

Modern is far less evenly matched... people looking for that will need to use some imagination to get there.

That depends what 2 countries are duking it out.

I think there could be a lot of even matches, but CMSF versus Syria isnt one of them

I dont think it is the games faults that are to blame with wego in this game. I think it is the inherent limitations of trying to do a game like this modern. I think 1to1 was the right move, seems much more realistic to me, but I dont think technology and resources are yet available to have tac ai doing everything neccessary to react to threats within 1 minute. It was ok in ww2 because lethality and speed were soo much lower. Too much stuff can happen in 1 minute, too many bullets fly, too many atgms fly. coordination of vehicle groups with precise timeing is too much more important because targeting is so much better and reloading faster. its too much more important that afv crest at same time. vehicles should move to shoot inf shooting your inf xtra fast if you can because otherwise you inf may be dead when minute is up. Deciding when infantry should fall back is not something I want my men to decide, I want to tell them when and I dont want to wait till the end of the minute, itll probably be to late. try the default hotkeys, use the f keys and the 3x3 square below them. its a good system. You cant expect digital officers to do the stuff real ones do. just my 2 cents. it is cool how big a force you could potentially control because of wego, but I think we should wait till digital officiers are much better. I need to have platoon tac ai before Ill want to control a big force wego. Or if I ever get way more time I could do it with a powerful trigger control system, like i imagine the editor use, but that sounds super hard.

Peace,

Sam