OVERALL are you enjoying CMSF ? (YES or NO)

Originally posted by markh:

I think that I understand about the limitations of being a small development company, but I am frankly staggered that apparently no testing appears to have been done on the latest 8000 series nVidia cards BEFORE release.

BFC's philosophy is apparently to code to the OpenGL standard and then blame the hardware if it doesn't work. Whilst I can understand this philosophy, we all know that in the real world standards are not always followed to the letter. Even the mighty Microsoft fails to follow standards in its Internet Explorer browser for instance (this is well documented if you care to check it out).

I have to agree that it is no good just blaming cards and operating systems when you could have tested for any non-compliance issues and worked around them before the game was released. I'm sure that this is why other games work fine on my machine - i.e. the big name companies test on lots more hardware.

It is also understandable, however, that BFC might not have the resources to do all this testing. However, I don't think it is fair to just blame the hardware once problems are discovered. BFC should just admit that these problems should have been picked up, apologize for any inconvenience, and fix them.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There have been a bunch of games that tried to do modern tactical and failed (or had very little success). There have been some compnaies that tried 3D tactical company level wargaming (some have failed and at least one is heading that way. I don't play just because no one has done it better.

NO, not yet atleast.

I find it hard to enjoy CMSF at its current state. Too many bugs and UI needs some love badly. With UI stuff I mean all the UI still like "show all move/target stuff" and so on. The UI is a big step backwards compared to the old games IMO.

Still Iam not too depressed, as I like many else, love old CM games. Hopefully they can patch it up.

[ August 19, 2007, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: sam0t ]

Steiner,

That would be an idiotic way to make a game. You code work arounds, and then ATI or NVidia fix their drivers and break the game again. You code to the standard and hope the card people do the same, then you test with what you have. If you notice, not all Nvidia cards have the problem neither did all ATI cards. You would possibally have to code to each driver release, and that is insane.

Rune

Originally posted by rune:

Steiner,

That would be an idiotic way to make a game. You code work arounds, and then ATI or NVidia fix their drivers and break the game again. You code to the standard and hope the card people do the same, then you test with what you have. If you notice, not all Nvidia cards have the problem neither did all ATI cards. You would possibally have to code to each driver release, and that is insane.

Rune

As someone who has done several Web Application development courses I know exactly the sorts of problems that can occur when you code to a standard and don't take account of different hardware or software configurations. Standard HTML should work fine on all browsers but we all know it doesn't. Why? Because big name browsers like Internet Explorer have bugs in them that mean that some standard HTML doesn't look right in them. That's why many of the web sites you visit actually have two versions, one for IE and one for everyone else. The site decides which version to give you by detecting what browser you are using.

And indeed, whenever a new version of IE comes out, some websites are instantly broken, because the work-around previously used no longer works and actually introduces problems. So what do the web developers do? They modify the site to work with the new version. That's life I'm afraid.

Graphics drivers and hardware are no different. They try to stick to the standards but nothing is perfect and sometimes they have rendering bugs. That doesn't mean you can't cater for all cards. It just takes more work. Going back to my website analogy, the site I eventually submitted for my exam was significantly different to the one I started with. Some things I found I couldn't do because they would not work in all browsers I tested on even though they were 100% standards compliant. Eventually the site worked in all browsers AND was still 100% standards compliant. Hopefully this means it will look right in the next version of IE but there is no guarantee.

To sum up, coding to standards is a good thing but testing in as many hardware and software environments as possible is the only way to be sure that what you produce will actually work for the vast majority of users.