More Photos of the Day

akd

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder just how many Stryker vehicles are in-country now.

For awhile Stryker Brigades would hand over their equipment as one Brigade rotated in and another rotated out, which would mean the vehicle number would always hover around 300 or so. Now we've got 3-2nd back in, but instead of rotating out 1-72nd has been moved to Baghdad and told they're staying thru Xmas! Did the new guys bring their vehicles with them?

It looks like that 'thing' on the ammo box is the len cap for the TV camera suspended beneath the gun - if we're looking at the same thing.

[ August 15, 2006, 01:42 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

I think the 172nd inheireted the 3/2nd's original Strykers and were due to bring them out. I might be wrong, though, but I don't think the 25th ID took their Strykers out with them when they handed over to the 172nd.

Small, mostly-off-topic rant:

I hate the new modular army naming system. Back when they first decided to do the BCT/UA thing, there was a proposal to give each brigade a unique name and lineage - mostly drawn from the old WWII divisions. So instead of 1/2/3/4th Brigades of the 1st Armored Division you might have the 1st Armored Brigade, which inheireted the history and shoulder patch of the 1st AD, 2nd Armored Brigade which would have done the same for the 2nd AD, etc.

Now we've got brigades that are often totally unrelated to each other that belong to division commands that theoretically shouldn't even exist (only Corps level HQs are supposed to be the command elements last I heard) and its just more confusing and generic than ever.

For example, the 1st Infantry Division now has some heavy and some light brigades. Had they renamed the light brigade after one of the old WWII divisions or older seperate brigades (197th, 198th, 199th, etc.) it would have made a whole lot more sense, IMHO, and promoted BCT esprit.

End rant. Stupid Army History commanders.

No, on the ammo box. (big rectangular thing to the right of the gun, as you look at it) It's kind of divided into four segments.
I dunno... an air vent so the ammo doesn't get overheated? It's not good to take hot ammo and run it through. More chance of a misfire and extraction problem. Again, I don't know if that is what the thing is or not.

AFAIK all Strykers in Iraq now are recycles. Meaning, unless the vehicle is a straight out replacment it has been there a while. There is a refurbishment shop in Kuwait (I think that's where it is) that puts even heavily damaged vehicles back into action.

Steve

FHF,

My understanding is that the next phase of modularization will fix the problem you speak of. Brigades will get Division titles, Divisions will get Corps titles, and Corps will (IIRC) pick up historical Army designations. The reasoning behind this is pretty logical. Today's Brigades are yesterday's Divisions, Divisions today act more like Corps of times past, and Armies are far more theater centric than Armies used to be.

Steve

I had a big pdf file from Soldiers Magazine (IIRC - may have been Army Magazine) that listed all the proposed names - the 82nd would be broken up into the 82nd, 11th, 101st and 17th Airborne Brigades, the 101st would become the 6th Light, 7th Light, etc.

Damned if I can find it though. But the Center for Military History nixed the idea for some reason and said that we were going to keep the current naming conventions. Which is lame.

I wanna see the 2nd Armored back again - wearing their patches over their hearts like Patton wanted.

Aha! Found somefink!

Karl Lowe's proposal for renaming the Army (from Army Magazine March 2005)

http://www.ausa.org/pdfdocs/Lowe.pdf

Soldiers Magazine poster - shows the Divisions, their BCTs and the battalions within those BCTs. Might be useful for the campaign to know which units are in which brigade - unless you're gonna go generic (A Coy/1st Bn as opposed to A Co/2-32 Armor)

http://www4.army.mil/soldiers/archive/pdfs/pdfs/poster_ModularForce.pdf

30906112.jpg

In this photo released by U.S. Army, U.S. Army Sgt. Charles Crawford, left, and Staff Sgt. Robert Steele record the serial number of an AK-47 rifle, seized while searching a local residence for illegal weapons in Baghdad, Iraq, Friday, Aug. 11, 2006. U.S. and Iraqi forces said Wednesday that a three-day security sweep has cleaned up a mostly Sunni neighborhood in west Baghdad, notorious for kidnappings, murders and bombings. (AP Photo/U.S.Army, Air Force Master Jonathan F.Doti)

060806-A-7274K-004.jpg

High-Res

U.S. Army Spc. Jonh Littrell (left) and Pfc. Devin Gooch both with Mortar Platoon, 5th Battalion, 20th Infantry Regiment scan their sectors after dismounting a Stryker assault vehicle in the outskirts of Mosul, Iraq, on Aug. 6, 2006. DoD photo by Cpl. Sam Kilpatrick, U.S. Army. (Released)
capt.2c2bf510c89644a097afa2cd8b429b46.us_iraq_troops_wxs302.jpg

In this U.S. Air Force photo released Wednesday, Aug. 16, 2006, Spc. Jarrod Nordby, of Charlie Company, 4-23 Infantry Regiment, 172nd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, rests between mission objectives near Rabea'a, Iraq, on June 27. The bulk of the 172nd Brigade was still in Iraq when Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld last month extended their deployment as part of a plan to quell the escalating violence in Baghdad. Overall, the brigade has about 3,900 troops. (AP Photo/U.S. Air Force, Sgt. Jacob N. Bailey)
capt.36e7bd4671a048a08463e6d95bc35012.us_iraq_troops_wxs304.jpg

In this file photo released by the Department of Defense Wednesday, July 5, 2006, U.S. Army Soldiers assigned to 4th Battalion, 23rd Infantry Regiment, 172nd Stryker Brigade Combat Team fire mortar illumination rounds in support of a targeting mission in Tall Afar, Iraq, July 4. The bulk of the 172nd Brigade was still in Iraq when Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld last month extended their deployment as part of a plan to quell the escalating violence in Baghdad. Overall, the brigade has about 3,900 troops. (AP Photo/Department of Defense, Sgt. Jacob N. Bailey, File)
capt.b61aeec3368c4421b7bd08589078ea36.us_iraq_troops_wxs301.jpg

In this U.S. Air Force photo released Wednesday, Aug. 16, 2006, children look on as Sgt. David Ristau, 172nd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, provides security during a patrol in Sinjar's market district on May 30.

show_jpg.pl?sz=1&key=1383089

HIGH-RES

U.S. Army Spc. Jeremy Wicklund provides security as Sgt. Allen Ronnei cuts the lock of the entrance gate of a home during a cordon and search mission in Baghdad, Iraq, Aug. 16, 2006. The Soldiers are with 1st Battalion, 17th Infantry Regiment, 172nd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, Fort Wainwright, Alaska. (U.S. Air Force photo by Tech. Sgt. Adrian Cadiz)

Originally posted by MikeyD:

It looks like that 'thing' on the ammo box is the len cap for the TV camera suspended beneath the gun - if we're looking at the same thing.

I think it is a lens cap but for the Thermal sight just below the TV camera. It looks about the right size.

ii081806d.jpg

HIGH-RES

NIGHTLIGHT — U.S. Army soldiers attached to Mortar Platoon, Alpha Company, 5th Battalion, 20th Infantry Regiment fire an illumination flare over Mosul, Iraq, from Forward Operating Base Marez, Iraq, Aug. 10, 2006. U.S. Army photo by Cpl. Sam Kilpatrick
capt.sge.fqh95.180806190123.photo01.photo.default-512x377.jpg

A US soldier speaks with an Iraqi boy as he patrols a street in Baghdad's Ghazaliya neighborhood on 15 August 2006 where the military's Bravo Company 23rd infantry regiment 2nd division conducts house to house searches for illegal weapons.(AFP/Thibauld Malterre)
r2406143052.jpg

U.S. soldiers patrol in Dora district in Baghdad August 15, 2006. Picture taken August 15, 2006. REUTERS/Ross Colvin (IRAQ)
capt.sge.fqh95.180806190123.photo02.photo.default-512x355.jpg

A team of US Army soldiers from the 1st Battalion 5th Infantry work on zeroing a sniper rifle in a wheat field which serves as a shooting range in the outskirts of the restive city of Mosul in May 2005.(AFP/Cris Bouroncle)

[ August 18, 2006, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: akd ]