Accuracy of modelling?

Elmar Bijlsma

As has already been mentioned elswhere we had a quite a giggle at this sim makers web site on the GF a few months back and while this sim does look sweet the technological and political bias I've seen there really has me wondering if this game is for me. I could use some reassurance on this.

And you only get to play as Serbs/Russian voulnteers, right? I have to tell you, I don't really like playing as the Germans in CM and playing as a Serb definitely hits a raw nerve with me.

While the main campaign game is playable only from the Serb side, you can also take the Croat side in the individual missions. And of course you can play pretty much any side in multiplayer and user created missions.

Martin

PS. Just to add: don't let the "technological and political" bias on those websites influence your take on the game until you've seen it. We wouldn't have signed a game that is clearly biased in any of those respects. The websites might be, but the game isn't.

Or I should perhaps say, won't be; we're conducting standard beta testing on it. Already now it is not the same as the Russian release version - we're up to version 1.2 I think now - and we'll continue to improve it before release until it fits our standards. Some examples of what we do is the inclusion of real multiplayer (the original release only had LAN and we're working to add online play) as well as the full mission and structure editors.

But we'll be testing the integrity of the physics modelling as well. So far - no complaints. The T-72B dies-a-lot-enough, at least when driven around by me (or Harv...) smile.gif

Martin

[ February 17, 2005, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: Moon ]

If there were any current inventory AFV that I would own, it would be a T-72. Small, fast, reliable, and solid with one of the coolest profiles of any MBT ever designed. It might not be the best tank on the battlefield today, but it is such a sweet ride! Well, if I were a couple inches shorter it would be. Ever been inside of a real one? Wow... talk about lack of headroom :D

Steve

I've been in more T72s than I can count. They were everywhere during the Gulf War. My unit found a runner and brought it back to Germany along with a BMP. At the time I thought they were craptacular with their manual tranny, laterals, no seat back and all too often turret upside down 50 feet away. Then one day I found myself in a Soviet MRR at NTC and learned the beauty of the T72. Equipment don't mean much. It's all training and tactics.

When can I preorder?

"... talk about lack of headroom"

Don't be unkind. I believe the latest U.S. beastie has the same problem. The 105mm gun Stryker MGS, at least in its first couple design iterations, had very similar-sounding problems compared to the T72. Quirky autoloader and barely enough room to shoe-horn the gunner into the turret! :D

About Stryker MGS. The turret is based on a 20+(?) year old private design and puts the 2 man turret crew DEEP into the hull - but still in the turret cage. (Think M60A2 Starship turret with the commander relocated to the loader's position ;) )

I notice one thing the manufactures did to even the odds was to us Leopard 1s instead of Leopard 2s. And probably using penetration stats for the European 105mm titanium APFSDS round instead of the U.S. depleated uranium round (just a guess). It sounds like the match-ups could produce some entertainly unexpected results!

Originally posted by NG cavscout:

I remember climbing in the BMP they had on display at Ft. Irwin back in 96 or 97. Made me VERY glad I wasn't a Soviet infantry man. Nothing like putting your fuel cells in the troop doors!!!!

It's a feature, not a bug, at least for the kind of war the BMP was designed to fight.

The fuel's a good neutron absorber.

All the best,

John.

Originally posted by Redwolf:

T-72 is cool.

If you ever walk around Munster Panzer museum, you will be open-mouth astonished how small these tanks are.

Not surprising.

I thought post war soviet/Russian AFV design was around keeping a very low silhouette?

Well from the T55 on, not sure with the T10.

Mace

It now appears that the site in question has been somewhat altered!

Balkans in Fire - development site

Still, as sites like these are just marketing tools (not history resources), it might have been a clever ploy to keep those controversial statements. At least the folks might have been more interested about the game thanks to the controversy surrounding it.

What comes to the game itself, T-72's performance is going to be surely a very interesting experience in able and skilful hands!

A question:

Is the modeled T-72 an import(M1/2?) or a genuine Russian version?

Originally posted by Rade:

I've seen few screenshots and some details on T-72 model doesn't look very accurate, there is no gunners periscopes and those smoke dischargers look a different than on a real tank.

some variants had smoke dischargers layed a bit like that, but the lack of gunner's periscopes is a bit puzzling.

perhaps the T-72 variant is fictional as well? smile.gif