What did he say ?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by dragonwagon:

Maybe one of you modder types could come up with a ENGLISH SPEACH MOD. ? I love the game , but this is the only thing I don't like about it . What do you guys think ? I'm sure that this is not new to the forum.

I'd like that too ... as long as Harrison Ford isn't doing the Russian accents.

Let's be charitable. I prefer German and Russian myself, but everyone has different tastes. Close Combat gave the option of accented English, did they not? I can see why some would prefer it. Purely a matter of personal taste. If this board is going to continue to be a place where people are attacked for having personal preferences out of the majority, it will cease to be worth coming to.

Is it possible to extract the CC sound files - or failing that, record them by hand somehow and modify them (for private use only, naturally)....?

I would at the least like to see a detailed list of what each voice file means, like the excellent one that was compiled for CMBO. It was extremely helpful, and didn't take long to learn the German and what it meant, once one could read it for themselves.

[ September 03, 2002, 07:48 PM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Agreed. A halfway decent English Speech file would be nice for each of the nationalities (because I would be willing to bet there are darn few people around here who speak German, Finnish, Polish, Russian, Romanian, Hungarian and Italian).

I think it would be nice if BFC were to provide the mod, but if not, it would be nice for the mod community to help out those of us who don't speak all the various languages in CMBB.

Note that I suggest BFC provide the mod for two reasons. First, if this mod were implemented through an in-game interface switch (ala Close Combat), then BFC would obviously have to make the modification.

Second, and more importantly, BFC already has the contacts with the guys who have contributed the existing sounds. It would be great if the same guy yelling in Russian or Finnish would yell the English translation.

Steve

[ September 03, 2002, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: MrSpkr ]

heres the Russian i know thnx to a Sudden Strike fan site...

"Ribyata gatova": Boys (=Troops) are ready.

"Da, tovarish marshalnik": Yes, comrade field-marshall.

"Da, tovarish general": Yes, comrade general.

"Artileriya gatova": Artillery ready.

"Tankisti na svyezi": Tankers online.

"Za rodbinu !!!!": For our fatherland !!!!

"Nemci !!! Nemci !!!": Germans !!! Germans !

Tankers keep saying this when they spot Germans outside their firing range)

"Zakuryenye zakazana !": Smoking prohibited.(the refueling trucks keep saying this )

"Da ?!" : Yes ?!

"Tochna ...": Correct ...

"Poshli .." : Go ! Go !

can someone just provide a translation for Russian and German just like this....im no moron and i can pickup language pretty well

I'll second that. There's a lot of information to be gleaned if you get in close, and listen to the units. But only if you know what the heck they're saying.

A printed translation isn't the same, and means constantly pausing to look up the correct phrase.

I agree that an English option would be great. I prefer the native tounges too, but I just can't understand them and thus can't learn anythin useful from them...but given long enough I'd learn what sound went with what action.

What would be neat is if someone made a list of the sound files and translated them. Example, you doubleclick, say,

12354.wav

you hear <whatever>

What does that mean? You consult your guide, and it tells you the correct native wording/spelling, a hyphonetical spelling, and a translation. This isn't to be used as a battle reference, but this way you could answer nagging questions and generally learn.

On a side note, when I order a human wave attack, the Russians give this "OOOHHHRAAA!!!!!" sound...what does that translate to? ;)tongue.gif;) Heh, I wonder if I can replace that with the rebel yell.

Originally posted by busboy:

What would be neat is if someone made a list of the sound files and translated them. Example, you doubleclick, say,

12354.wav

you hear <whatever>

What does that mean? You consult your guide, and it tells you the correct native wording/spelling, a hyphonetical spelling, and a translation.

This is exactly how I learned the German phrases in CMBO. It didn't take long before I knew all of them without having to consult the cheat sheet. I'm sure someone will eventually post a list of .wavs and their corresponding translations.

Originally posted by *Captain Foobar*:

Didnt you guys read the "read-me" file?

All you have to do is push alt-SHIFT-S for subtitles...

Its kinda annoying though. They go by faster than I can read it all... :(

Heheh. I wonder how many people saw that and tried it . . .

In all seriousness, though, I have no desire to learn the militaryesque phrases in half a dozen languages. I am a casual gamer and would like the option to switch to English.

Steve

To comment on the original statement, I think it is just fine. I like having that multi-lingual feel to the game. Anyways, if we switched it to english, you wouldnt get the HOOORAAAAH! when you did the russian human wave.

That would be a beast to mod anyways!!!!, and they never say anything that you cant see for yourself. It all about emersion . . .

Chad

Originally posted by Chad Harrison:

To comment on the original statement, I think it is just fine. I like having that multi-lingual feel to the game.

Why is it immersive? A real Russian/Finnish/Rumanian/German/Hungarian/Italian/Polish/etc. commander would understand what his men were yelling.

Anyways, if we switched it to english, you wouldnt get the HOOORAAAAH! when you did the russian human wave.
Really? Why not?

That would be a beast to mod anyways!!!!, and they never say anything that you cant see for yourself.
In some situations, particularly timed TCP/IP games, you don't have time to check out the enemy forces. Also, if you use Franco's True Combat rules, you are not allowed to click on an enemy unit at any time -- so you don't have any way of understanding what your soldiers are seeing.

It all about emersion . . .
I have no desire to rise from an inferior condition (although I must admit I do not understand what that has to do with this discussion) -- I do have a desire to understand what my troops are saying. To that extent, it is more immersive to have the option of hearing the yells/cries in the player's native tongue than to hear unintelligible grunts that mean very little to the player/commander.

Steve

[ September 04, 2002, 12:43 AM: Message edited by: MrSpkr ]

Originally posted by busboy:

I wonder if I can replace the Russians give this "OOOHHHRAAA!!!!!" with the rebel yell.

Hee hee, imagine the disjoint from watching a battalion of Ivans charging forward yelling "YEEEEEHAWWWW!!!" ;)

Originally posted by Affentitten:

A Russian-speaking freind of mine reports that a lot of what the Russians in CMBB say equates to "****!" "Bitch!"

I imagine that this is because they're all burying their faces into the dirt... :D

--------------------------------------------------

Anyways, I understand the original request, it is confusing to hear the Russian voices. I figure, however, that I'll suss them out after some play time, just like I did with "LOS! LOS!" (It took me a while before I figured out that they weren't saying "Look! Look!") Just look at their actions for a hint about what they're saying.

Gee, I think we really need "English spoken with a funny accent" mods! And also "English spoken loudly by arrogant American tourists who think that it helps foreigners at understanding them" mod for CMBO, now that I think of it. Wouldn't be realistic otherwise.

But uhmm, tell me, honest: if any of you have ever watched Mika Häkkinen giving statements in tv, do you really want to have that kind of accent for Finns in CMBB??? :eek:

(ok, "get serious" time)

It's not really a problem to me, though, what kinds of mods people use - if someone would, for example, want to replace all the sfx with computer beeps, I couldn't care less, really. Now if you are suggesting that CMBB going gold should be delayed, then of course, I do care... ;)

Besides, in my personal use the sounds themselves aren't that important. I don't go all the time right down to my troops to hear what they're saying, I can tell that anyway. And usually the sounds are obstructed by other yells, explosions and rifle fire and, in any case, I don't understand Polish or French, but of course "Le Aargh!" is not very difficult to guess.