What did he say ?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Redoing the speeches in English would be a major undertaking. I just looked at the Battlefront.com main site and they said minimum requirements for the full game will be 1.2 gigs of HD space (Holy Crap!). I'll bet a very large chunk of that is going to be sounds and a large chunk of those sounds will be Finnish, Italian, German, Hungarian, Russian voices.

But hey, do what you want. It's a free country. I may just mod all the German uniforms to look like characters in "The Sound of Music". Can someone help me change the opening music sounds to the tune "I am sixteen going on Seventeen"? redface.gif

Okay, this is right up my alley since I was the one that wrote the new scripts and coordinated getting all the new sounds make.

First off some facts.

In CMBO we had 6 nations with a total of 363 seperate "sayings". On average each nation had less than 60 sayings with Germans and Americans getting the lions share of course.

In CMBB there are 7 nations represented audibly with 2018 seperate vocal quotes. Germans have 424 samples and Russians have 447 samples.

In CMBO there were only tweleve *triggers* which intiated a verbal response.

In CMBB there are 47 things that can happen to a unit which will make it say something.

In CMBO, the average amount of variety in each of the voice catagories was for each nation was, I believe, 3. This means units only would say one of three sayings on average for the same event.

In CMBB most of the sound catagories have between 6-10 different saying PER nationality.

The voice samples in CMBB are over 220 megs in size when installed.

In excess of 4 thousand seperate vocal sound samples were edited by me and submitted for inclusion to the game. Due to size restraints that amount was scaled down by 50% to the existing level (2018). That does not include samples that were edited by other parties prior to being sent to me.

Each of the seven nationalities is represented in the game with up to 10 different voices all native to their country and with various regional dialects.

I strove to maintain historical accuracy that what is being said IS what would been said in WWII. Just like Dan tries to make every texture he does the very best, so to did I with the voices in CMBB. I applied the same methodology to the weapon effects that I was able to update as well.

Due to a very untimely hard drive failure my original translated voice scripts were lost but I going to have them re-done sometime in the future.

At that time I will ask permission to post those scripts so people will be able to see EXACTLY what is being said. In the meantime I will try and dig up my Excel Spreadsheet which will tell you how the files are currently arranged as they are numbered sequentially by catagory and nationality. That should help modders as they will at least know what, in general, is being said.

There will NOT, repeat NOT be an official mod to put English speaking voices into CMBB, at least not one that I will have any part of nor do we have the capability to input some sort of caption. The best alternative would be to play with Labels as you will see many of the important triggers (units breaking, low ammo, etc..)

My suggestion to those that don't understand what is being said is to do some research and and broaden your language palette. You will find yourself appreciating history far more when you can understand the languages of the peoples you study.

This will be easier to do once I release the catagory to file number list of course.

If someone wants to mod the sounds in english then they can knock themselves out. Take it from me, its a BUTTLOAD of work!

One last thing, If you don't speak or understand any of the languages and want them to speak in English wpouldn't all immersion be lost, as would a great deal of situational awareness, as everyone on both sides will be yelling in English...

Just like CMBB encourages you to learn how to yeild your forces in a sound tactical fashion it now encourages you to LISTEN to what is going on around you.

Thank you and I appreciate all the comments on the forum to date about the sound effects. I am very pleased that you like them.

If you thought the stats above were impressive wait until I post the ones for the other sound effects. ;)

Madmatt

Edited because the Bald One's post made it irrelevant.

Wow. I didn't realize the amount of work involved, Matt.

That being said, I am probably going to take a crack at some English versions of the Russian speech. Unfortunately, I do not think I will be able to release it as a mod as I plan on using some speech from Close Combat III, and releasing it for general consumption would likely violate the copyright.

Steve

[ September 04, 2002, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: MrSpkr ]