Why the new, tiny type?

I haven't been here for a few days, but now find the board is sporting new and tightly spaced small type. I don't know what's been gained by this at BFC's end, but it's making things tough here. The older format typeface and point size were fine. The new typeface and point size are not easy to read with bifocals. Could someone please explain the rationale for the change? What did we gain in exchange for what I deem a major hit in both readability and eyestrain?

Regards,

John Kettler

That's not an option for people who open threads in tabs or sperate windows, as the resizing affects only the current window/tab.

So, let's ask the other way round: is there anybody on this board who likes the new font better? So far I've only seen complaints.

[ December 05, 2003, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: redwolf ]

I do not like the smaller type.

I'm always leaning forward, nowadays.

Hurts my neck.

smile.gif

(I think I read a post of Madmat's that said he'd change it back if people did not like it. Said it didn't matter to him either way. I think it's in the "I thought I noticed somthing different" thread.)

Gpig

I like the new font size. It appears crisper and it's much easier to read for me. I found the larger type fairly annoying and it looked woefully outdated.

You're naturally going to hear more from the people who don't like it. The folks who like it (or don't really care) generally aren't going to waste the their time posting about font size.

Originally posted by redwolf:

That's not an option for people who open threads in tabs or sperate windows, as the resizing affects only the current window/tab.

So, let's ask the othe rway round: is there anybody on this board who likes the new font better? So far I've only seen complaints.

I like it better myself.

And that font-size change is a global setting change in IE, even if it is not on your crappy OSS browser.

WWB

Originally posted by John Kettler:

Could someone please explain the rationale for the change?

To piss us off and make us show our teeth. :mad: :mad: :mad:

I run my desktop at 1600x1200 at home and the text is too small. It's better at a lower resolution, but I shouldn't have to reduce the quality of my CM game experience to be able to read the minifont on the forum.

I like the new font size. Suits me better, and the old one used to run way off the right-hand side of my screen, so I used to have to scroll sideways to read some posts. This hasn't happened yet with the new set-up.

And I like seeing each poster's number of posts and joining dates at the bottom of each post.

Sorry but I like the smaller print myself but if it causes trouble to others then I would be just as happy the old way, but I do like the info at the bottom. I thought it a neat idea. I agree though that if the larger print is what caused you to have to scroll sideways to read the posts then the smaller print is best. I hated that scrolling sideways thing and it actually kept me from reading a lot of longer topics for that very reason.

Originally posted by lcm1947:

Sorry but I like the smaller print myself but if it causes trouble to others then I would be just as happy the old way, but I do like the info at the bottom. I thought it a neat idea. I agree though that if the larger print is what caused you to have to scroll sideways to read the posts then the smaller print is best. I hated that scrolling sideways thing and it actually kept me from reading a lot of longer topics for that very reason.

No, it's mostly large pictures and also long words that cause that (long words such as "GAAARRGH..." that MG does), because wordwrap can't handle those. You can make your browser to make the pictures to fit the screen, though (IE at least).

I guess I made my point. ;) Now don't beat me, mm'kay?

[ December 05, 2003, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: Sergei ]

Originally posted by Madmatt:

Basically I reduced the font size just to piss John off. ;)

Madmatt

While pissing JOHN off is always a good idea, it has also pissed ME off and I can't imagine that you would consider that a good thing.

I'm OLD Madmatt, old and my eyes are having enough trouble as it is, for Gawd's sake man ...

Fix or do somefink!

Joe

Originally posted by Joe Shaw:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Madmatt:

Basically I reduced the font size just to piss John off. ;)

Madmatt

While pissing JOHN off is always a good idea, it has also pissed ME off and I can't imagine that you would consider that a good thing.

I'm OLD Madmatt, old and my eyes are having enough trouble as it is, for Gawd's sake man ...

Fix or do somefink!

Joe </font>

The phrase "senile old farts" comes to mind but since I can't stand to hear John and redwolf and Joe and you others running around and begging for me to change it, I have put it back to how it was...

Where would the world be without my care and consideration????

Madmatt