Changes that you have noticed in CMAK

Units seem to panic/rout/break less readily - I've had green US infantry units take serious fire in the advance, suffer a couple of causalties and simply run for cover (albeit back in the direction they came from).

Green Russian infantry units taking that sort of punishment in CMBB would be in unrecoverable bits.

I love the AFV and tree graphics - noticeably better than CMBB, and the background mountains in the Italian scenario are magnificent.

I didn't notice anything odd about the American voices, but then I'm English, so that's not surprising. I'll be interested to hear how the Brits sound when the full game comes out.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I noticed:

Whjat has changed: troops seem to be more difficult to spot. I have had an enemy unit firing at my troops for several turns, at about 100 mtrs, and it was not spotted, though several units had a clear los to the spot it was located (blowing away the houses did suppress it nicely).

What hasn't changed: the air force managed to knock out two of its own tanks in the first seconds of the second turn I played the demo. I know M3's look a lot like that Tiger from the air, but please, can the air force be told that the units advancing en masse are the attackers,and the units dug in are the defenders?

Bertram

WOL asks: "Hogg claims that early US 37 and 75 ammo was especially poor, is this true and is it modelled?"

Actually, the U.S. 37mm seems to take quite nasty bite in the game! Certainly better than standard German 37mm shot would.

I've become all confused over 37mm gun Lethality. The German, Russian and U.S. 37mm gun penetrations seem to be all over the map despite the fact that it all came out of the Rheinmetall pre-war 'standard'. This isn't a knock at BFC but at my own ignorance. Their research into penetration data in CM is laudably sophisticated.

About friendly fire from aircraft, that's the luck of the draw. I don't recall ever being shot-up by my own aircraft, and I've constructed scenarios specifically in the hope to see it happen! I guess the game just likes me. :D

[ November 24, 2003, 03:44 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

One really weird thing - but causes to me real pain.

Most horrible thing in CMAK are ugly faces - yep right. Just ranks are needed, no faces. Really drawback for me after CMBB athmosphere. Now there is same face after face after face... I have played now demo 4 times and this keeps me upsets. Prefer better just ranks.

Is there already alternate solution available from battlefront? I might be total idiot for claiming about this but hope so that someone else idiot suffer this same problems and solution available.

Live in hope that faces has been replaced in EU version - my 50Euro = 60USD Europe version is now posted from gameshop and get it durring this week. And for you US fellows - heck - the 35 USD is cheap one for this one.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned changes in TO&E from CMBO yet.

SPOILER ALERT - although this whole thread is one big spoiler.

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

In Line of Defense, US platoon HQs now have 5 rather than 4 men, company HQs have 8 rather than 6 men (I think, don't have the game with me at the moment), and the .50 cal is no longer an organic part of the infantry company - at least the way it is described in the briefing.

Based on my understanding, these are all more accurate than CMBO.

One other thing, my memory may be wrong on this but could the attacker have TRPs in CMBO and CMBB?

Originally posted by Dook:

One other thing, my memory may be wrong on this but could the attacker have TRPs in CMBO and CMBB?

Yes, in CMBO and CMBB the attacker and/or defender could have TRPs. That is if the scenairo designer put them in. In QB's I think that only the defender can buy them, unless its set to unrestricted.

[ November 24, 2003, 05:11 PM: Message edited by: Panzerman ]

Originally posted by Dook:

In Line of Defense, US platoon HQs now have 5 rather than 4 men, company HQs have 8 rather than 6 men (I think, don't have the game with me at the moment), and the .50 cal is no longer an organic part of the infantry company - at least the way it is described in the briefing.

Based on my understanding, these are all more accurate than CMBO.

One thing to consider is that the U.S. OB changed between '42 and '45. In the scenarios given the '42 on has a company HQ of 10 guys plus a security squad of 6, and even one of the platoon HQs has 10 guys in it. In the '44 one it's 8 guys in the CO HQ, no security squad, and 45 or 5 in the platoon HQs. It's easy to imagine a rather bloated U.S. Army in the very beginning of the war, with lots of slots overfilled, replacements right with the Company HQ ready to go, and all that. How long would that, could that last given the long-term manpower requirements of the real war?

Anyway, I'm just speculating until I see the full game.

-dale

Originally posted by Kanonier Reichmann:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

...SNIP...

One thing I did notice, though, was that the Australians sounded like Americans.

...SNIP...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Please no more "a dungo took mi baybee" style voices!

Regards

Jim R. </font>

Shermans now pack a bigger anti-armor punch. In CMBB, the 75mm L/38 gun had the following penetration stats using a APCBC round:

90/72/40 (100m)

83/66/38 (500m)

The same gun in the demo Shermans (M4A1 and M4A3) now has these stats:

104/82/40 (100m)

96/76/38 (500m)

So the Shermans now have a much better chance of killing a StuG (80mm front armor), and apparently, a theoretical chance of killing a Tiger I from the front.

Originally posted by kalkkuna:

One really weird thing - but causes to me real pain.

Most horrible thing in CMAK are ugly faces - yep right. Just ranks are needed, no faces. Really drawback for me after CMBB athmosphere. Now there is same face after face after face... I have played now demo 4 times and this keeps me upsets. Prefer better just ranks.

Is there already alternate solution available from battlefront? I might be total idiot for claiming about this but hope so that someone else idiot suffer this same problems and solution available.

Live in hope that faces has been replaced in EU version - my 50Euro = 60USD Europe version is now posted from gameshop and get it durring this week. And for you US fellows - heck - the 35 USD is cheap one for this one.

I have to agree with kalkkuna on this one. Having the same face appear for squad after squad sort of brings on the feeling that I'm a commander in the "attack of the clones" and actually reduces the immersion factor for me. I prefered the way CMBB handled these.

Originally posted by MAsta_KFC:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by mcsquared:

Played the Allies in the Italian scenario. Seemed that even fully "buttoned up" I had a inordinate number of "shocked" tank crews. Anybody notice this?

That's because your TC's are getting picked off by the crack sniper hiding somewhere. There was something mentioned earlier about keeping your tanks buttoned. </font>

I recall when CMBB first came out there was talk about surrender rates being reduced in order to represent the 'fight-to-the-death' mentality of the Eastern Front. The N. African front didn't have the blood-hatred of the Eastern Front. After all, facing the Africa Corps in Tunisia your opponent had not burned down your village and raped your women-folk the previous week.

Originally posted by CombinedArms:

I thought it was the sharpshooter but found after the battle that he had NO kills. So it must have been other lead that was flying around.

I've seen (and heard) my sharpshooter kill several TCs in a game only to see that he caused no casualties when the game was over. There are obviously other ways a TC can become a casualty, but the sharpshooter is not getting credit for his kills.

Is it just me or do units seem to be making better use of walls as cover? Notice how in both scenarios there are several default positions located behind stone walls in what is otherwise open ground.

It seems in CMBO and BB that units were never quite sure what to do behind walls, except cower in terror.

I played "Line of Defense" second time around as the Germans, and not only did my units seem to behave better in that situation, but I noted that several advancing American squads seemed to make use of the walls as they attacked my positions.

Originally posted by AndrewTF:

Is it just me or do units seem to be making better use of walls as cover? Notice how in both scenarios there are several default positions located behind stone walls in what is otherwise open ground.

It seems in CMBO and BB that units were never quite sure what to do behind walls, except cower in terror.

I played "Line of Defense" second time around as the Germans, and not only did my units seem to behave better in that situation, but I noted that several advancing American squads seemed to make use of the walls as they attacked my positions.

That might also be a result of an apparently reduced rate of running away and stay put when under too much pressure.

In that case, the fact that they stay behind the wall on the attack may have more to do with the TacAI not wanting to enter the space with slow movement and high exposure and stop in the better ground.

Love the CMAK Demo.

Basically, a platoon of Shermans will convert any town to rubble in no time. I've just been buttoning them up, bringing them up to the ridge line just enough to see the tops of the buildings, and then letting loose.

BOOM!

Gpig (Pixar animator)

P.S. I think Charles is the BFC Animator on staff. As it stands now, the animation perfectly serves the "simulation" factor of the CM games. I say this because as soon as you add life-like animations, you'll want to see every man in the squad. Then THAT will open a can of worms up. smile.gif

Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by CombinedArms:

I thought it was the sharpshooter but found after the battle that he had NO kills. So it must have been other lead that was flying around.

I've seen (and heard) my sharpshooter kill several TCs in a game only to see that he caused no casualties when the game was over. There are obviously other ways a TC can become a casualty, but the sharpshooter is not getting credit for his kills. </font>

Matt

One voice command that I've heard often in CMAK , that I never heard in a year in a combat zone is "forward march" , I mention this back during the CMBO demo times , in combat the commands are more like "move out" or "follow me" (which I've heard once in CMAK). It just seems real strange every time I hear squad leaders in the CM field saying "forward march".

Just my two cents worth smile.gif

And CM continues to become better and better. Thanks smile.gif