Interesting new Mac platform options

While running a "used Mac" Google search, I not only refound Small Dog Electronics (www.smalldog.com) and Low End Mac (www.lowendmac.com), but came across a remarkable site Operator Headgap Systems, Inc.(http://stn2.headgap.com) which sells not only the usual used/refurbished offerings, but also radically improved and reengineered dual OS ones. Thus, there appear to be some new options open to the Mac CM community. I believe these may constitute a more affordable upgrade path for those stuck with older rigs and not readily able to go out and buy, say, a G5 in preparation for CMx2. Thought some of you might like to know.

Regards,

John Kettler

[ February 03, 2005, 11:51 PM: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

Another good place is powermax.com They have a number of the last(and fastest) dual-boot machines Apple offered. Specifically, the Mirrored Door models here: http://www.powermax.com/cpus/used_by_model.html

I've bought several Macs from them over the years. They do BTO and are Apple authorized. Myself, I have a Quick Silver. If you desire the MD, make sure its not the "leaf blower" model though ;) [the early MDs were loud]

well you should all move over to cheap pc's i know it would be annoying tohave to put up with windows but then that might give apple the kick up the arse they need. they might actualy prduce something other than the mac mini at a reasonable price. i mean a decent spec machine and a reasonable price. i know there a good system but they want £999 for the 1.8 g5, thats slower much slower than my system and i didnt spend that on it. and the 999 is just a base unit!

Originally posted by MikeyD:

We're on the horns of a dilemma.

CM won't run on OSX.

CMx2 probably won't run on OS9 (just a guess).

Dangerous Waters appears to be pc only.

Dilema

Greek meaning two Premises or alternatives:

di·lem·ma     P   Pronunciation Key  (d-lm)

n.

A situation that requires a choice between options that are or seem equally unfavorable or mutually exclusive.

Usage Problem. A problem that seems to defy a satisfactory solution.

Logic. An argument that presents two alternatives, each of which has the same consequence.

[Late Latin, from Greek dilmma, ambiguous proposition  : di-, two; see di-1 + lmma, proposition; see lemma1.]

dilem·matic (dl-mtk) adj.

Usage Note: In its main sense dilemma refers to a situation in which a choice must be made between alternative courses of action or argument. Although citational evidence attests to widespread use of the term meaning simply “a problem” or “a predicament” and involving no issue of choice, 74 percent of the Usage Panel rejects the sentence Juvenile drug abuse is the great dilemma of the 1980s. ·It is sometimes claimed that because the di- in dilemma comes from a Greek prefix meaning “two,” the word should be used only when exactly two choices are involved. Nevertheless, 64 percent of the Usage Panel accepts its use for choices among three or more options.

Sorry

Couldn't help myself....

Don't forget to toss sand in the bull's eyes when faced with the impossible dilemma of either being impaled by the left horn or impaled by the right horn :D

(and what famous book was that from?)

-tom w

Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MikeyD:

We're on the horns of a dilemma.

CM won't run on OSX.

CMx2 probably won't run on OS9 (just a guess).

Dangerous Waters appears to be pc only.

Dilema

Greek meaning two Premises or alternatives:

di·lem·ma     P   Pronunciation Key  (d-lm)

n.

A situation that requires a choice between options that are or seem equally unfavorable or mutually exclusive.

Usage Problem. A problem that seems to defy a satisfactory solution.

Logic. An argument that presents two alternatives, each of which has the same consequence.

[Late Latin, from Greek dilmma, ambiguous proposition  : di-, two; see di-1 + lmma, proposition; see lemma1.]

dilem·matic (dl-mtk) adj.

Usage Note: In its main sense dilemma refers to a situation in which a choice must be made between alternative courses of action or argument. Although citational evidence attests to widespread use of the term meaning simply “a problem” or “a predicament” and involving no issue of choice, 74 percent of the Usage Panel rejects the sentence Juvenile drug abuse is the great dilemma of the 1980s. ·It is sometimes claimed that because the di- in dilemma comes from a Greek prefix meaning “two,” the word should be used only when exactly two choices are involved. Nevertheless, 64 percent of the Usage Panel accepts its use for choices among three or more options.

Sorry

Couldn't help myself....

Don't forget to toss sand in the bull's eyes when faced with the impossible dilemma of either being impaled by the left horn or impaled by the right horn :D

(and what famous book was that from?)

-tom w </font>

I believe Tom was just reinforcing what MikeyD had to say as per our "situation". We suffer slightly by holding on to older models just so as to play CMXX (the current versions} but dare not buy a PC tongue.gif

As it is, I function quite well with the box I have but await patiently for a G5 till the next glorious version of CM arrives. Once CM is for OS X, I think we'll see alot more interest in the game on the Mac side.

btw, Moon mentions the possibility of a Mac version of Modern Naval Battles. See MNB thread (show topics from last 45 days)

That link was very informative and extremly relevant for this topic, NOT! Jeeeesus, if you want to play games (in general) there is no contest between Mac and PC. PC gets HEAPS more games, and even has GOOD gfx cards, which the Mac does not have.

Only reason to get Mac is for fashion/publishing software reasons. And even that reasons is becomming a bit long in its tooth.

Let us hope Longhorn never appears.

Here's one little tidbit from a pro-Longhorn site:

"Another significant change in Longhorn involves device drivers. In the past, Microsoft allowed customers to use non-signed drivers, which helped compatibility, but caused stability problems. No more: In Longhorn, users hoping to take advantage of the system's exciting new capabilities will only be able to use signed drivers."

Not only will they break your CM, they will make sure you can't fix it. :D

Treeburst155 out.

The thing I like about PCs is that you can build them yourself easily. Installing a new video card etc is also simple and most importantly the parts are available. In the past Macs had a place but times have changed at least in my mind. Macs used to be what the professionals used. But this is no longer rally true in fact I feel that nowadays a lot of the appeal of Macs is style and the fact that hey are anti-windows. Frankly I think Linux etc is a better

To up-grade my PC all I need to do is buy the following parts.

Motherboard 100$

TWINX1024-3200XL ddr-400 Corsair ram 1024MB Latency 2-2-2-5 250$

CPU AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 263$

Radeon X800 XL 256MB 300$

That is 913$ for a top of the line system.

Price me a Mac with similar specs. May of the parts will be the same but the price will not be.