Interesting new Mac platform options

• 1 month later...

Well, I see all guys here talk about the Mac being such a good platform for CM and what not. I've been thinking of getting an OSX machine for development and just to play with. However, if CM won't run on the system what's the point of having one? Sure, one can reboot to some ancient OS9 partition, but hey, isn't that kinda stupid?

This Linux machine gets booted a few times per year, and every time it takes a while to get all my tools up an running where I want them (virtual desktops, shells etc). I would never reboot this system just to play a single PBEM file, nor would I keep an expensive Mac booted into OS9 for the same reason.

Is there any work being done to get CM working on OSX, or is it in Windows where the future of CM is?

I would love to test having a decently powerful Mac as a desktop machine and be able to run CM on it, right now I use a secondary old Win2000 laptop just for CM and Linux on my desktop. Another thing could be if CM worked with Wine/Cedega so that I could run it emulated in Linux, but that doesn't work either, it seems to use a fair deal of ugly hacks that make it not run at all with those.

Any hints?

We've been pretty vocal about our support for the Mac. The problem with CMx1 is that it can't run on OSX without major code modifications. Modifications that we are unwilling to invest our time into since it is a dead code bsae to us (i.e. we aren't ever going to do anything else with it). CMx2 is our future and that includes native OSX support.

Steve

Originally posted by Panzer76:

That link was very informative and extremly relevant for this topic, NOT! Jeeeesus, if you want to play games (in general) there is no contest between Mac and PC. PC gets HEAPS more games, and even has GOOD gfx cards, which the Mac does not have.

Only reason to get Mac is for fashion/publishing software reasons. And even that reasons is becomming a bit long in its tooth.

I'll bet that you haven't used a Mac in what? 10 years? Ever?

OS X (X as in 10, not as in...errmmm X), is a full-on Unix based operating system, which makes it a MUCH BETTER operating system than Windows for many server type things and "serious computer" use well beyond making magazines.

It's more reliable than Windows, it's more secure than Windows.

It's not Unix-lite, it's not a "Linux rip-off", it's Unix. With the Mac interface and ease of use, but with a shell for you (and me) to type away at if you'd so desire. It will even do X11 out of the box and Gnome with some work.

I myself have a XP Pro machine I built myself but I seldom use, because it's chock-full of spyware goodness (I use Firefox, but %$%#$ IE still pops up) and I get tired of updating video drivers for every game I install (Ok, every other game). It needs a Windows re-install bad.

I built the PC because I got a sweetheart deal on parts straight from Intel and, yes, the game selection on the PC is waaaayyy better than the Mac's, but if I have a choice between a Mac or PC version of a game, I buy the Mac one even though my Mac is 2 years older than the PC and technically "slower" - The games just work the first time out and they don't make the other games stop working.

XP is far more reliable than the other Windows I have used before (That's all of them ), but it's still no OS X.

My 4 year old Mac has been on 24/7 for the last 3 and a half years and hosting a website for the last 3. It runs 5 individual MySQL databases, one that is over 92GB in size. It runs Apache and a couple of PHP Forums with over 110 users and some decent amount of activity. I still play 3D games, run Final Cut Pro and watch DVD's while all that stuff is going on in the back ground. Nobody is complaining about the site running slow and all I have a dual 533mhz G4's.

Modern Macs are pretty freaking nice. Go check one out, you'll be surprised.

Gyrene