DerKessel is closing shop

Another one bites the dust. :(

Thanks to all the "Kessel" team for a great site and some wonderful scenarios.

Edit -- What are you going to do with the files hosted on your site? Will they be available elsewhere?

[ April 11, 2003, 09:58 AM: Message edited by: Manx ]

Originally posted by Manx:

Another one bites the dust. :(

Thanks to all the "Kessel" team for a great site and some wonderful scenarios.

Edit -- What are you going to do with the files hosted on your site? Will they be available elsewhere?

A real pity that this site will no longer be out there

..... as for the files..

Maybe the Der Kessel team are planning to host them at Boots and Tracks ... of they could contact GJK and see if there is a home for them at the newly relaunched Proving Grounds.....

There is a whole section there for scenarios that is just crying out for some good quality content !

Sorry to see Der Kessel go ... man thanks to all those responsible

In all fairness, I think Der Kessel never quite got running in CMBB. Pulling the plug now is just acknowledging something that has been reality for a long time.

I recommend that those interested in my work DL it before 1100 GMT tomorrow. I am uncertain whether I have copies of it on my HDD, and I have no time to get them from the server now.

It was fun while it lasted - now back to reading up on events in Africa and Italy ;)

Actually, while I can not speak for all my colleagues, I don't think it can be attributed to a lack of interest in the war in the east or CMBB.

A number of those contributing to Der Kessel were heavily involved in CMBB, and I expect that some of us will be involved in CMAK. Just look at the number of scenarios on the CD coming from our group.

Another group of us is involved in CMMC2 - which includes scenario design for a captive audience, amongst other things.

E.g. to add value over a QB, designing a scenario for CMBB is much harder than it was in CMBO. That in itself is a deterrent. I for example find it almost impossible to produce a Byte Battle™ that would add any value over a QB. Designing for CMBB is far more complex, and far more difficult to get 'right' than it was for CMBO.

It has nothing to do with a lack of interest in either the game or the war in the east, quite the contrary in fact, I would argue. To do it justice in CMBB is just a lot of work. And as I said, there are other things that keep us busy, CMBB related.

A major crapper is of course that CMBB is not OS X capable. I have not updated yet from OS9, because of CMBB - but Greg and Berli have, and consequently are quite hamstrung.

Sorry to hear it will be gone for a while... you guys all did a great job, and I am sure you still will in the future. I agree that scenario designing is harder in CMBB; it takes far longer to achieve what you want and it did in CMBO, but that may be a good thing. smile.gif

I've always thought that Der Kessel was the best looking CM site and host to the best scenarios.

Thank you for hosting my mod and for your hard work for the community!

I agree on the OS X part... Having to boot back into OS9 has brought my CMBB playing down to zero, and as a user of both Windows & Mac I would much rather support the Mac version of a game when available.

Your site will be missed.

Gyrene