New Combat Mission game Announced. Combat Mission: Afrika Korps!!! Pt2

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, I wonder where Vader's Jester is...he usually is the first to post to these kinds of threads. Guess he doesn't care...(sniff)....

I had an epiphany today about a new feature that CMAK needed, but to be honest, it completely slipped my mind, so I can't post it here...if it comes to me....

[ April 15, 2003, 01:44 AM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

If I remember correctly the make up of the Indian Divisions in the Med for a regt was 1 Battalion of British, 1 Battalion of India Punjabis, and 1 Battalion of Gurkhas. Read it a few times but not certain about it.

Would be interesting to see New Zealand Maori Troops and maybe even Scottish baghpipers :D

Would at least add some new sounds to game.

A feature I'd like to see in CMAK.

A third info page for units general information!

It would be availlable by another button on the screen you get when selecting a unit

and hitting return.

A brief text explaining what the unit is all about. There's a load of units in CM many in foreign languages (all foreign for me) and I'd like to know what "Heer Saukopfgrenadiers" are...

If the feature was moddable, the game could ship without the explanations and let the modders add them. Or give a list of units in game, and the texts would be done in a week by forum brainiacs.

BFC,

Tag-teaming on the all the ideas for improvements is one I'd like to see: a visual indication of which building walls are passable!

I just played a game and had my troops use a single "move" waypoint to go from one building into an adjacent building. Adjacent, as in they shared a wall. The move line was blue. Ah, very good! Then I watched the replay. My troops, 9 strong, walked out of the front of the building into the firezone, got targeted by every weapon the enemy had, then entered the next building, 5 strong. :( Planning turn showed the remaining 3 waypoints the TacAI plotted to get them to my original destination.

Now that's a tough lesson for those troops! If I'd known the wall was not passable, I'd have sent them out the back! Some walls are, some walls aren't. In game, both types of walls allow a "move" to be plotted through them.

My solution is simple. Either make the "move" line red to show that movement through that terrain (the wall) will not be allowed, or make a visual indicator that the wall is solid - like a big black bar on the ground.

Thanks,

Ken

William writes that he's interested in seeing Scottish bag pipers.

Please PLEASE don't put that idea into BFC's head! I have a mental image now -- every time I tell my Allied troops to advance the AI automatically plays a sampled opening squeal of bagpipes! I shuddder thinking about it. It's enough to make a guy stick to defensive battles! redface.gif;)

Of course they could be really evil and make the piper a separate unit, the loss of which would immediatly cause a massive drop in universal morale.

One of the earlier suggestions on additional info on units seems like it would be a good idea for a book. There could be a whole series on "The Units of CMXX" that would give a little historical and tactical information on the equipment and the various organizations. I think it would go a long way towards allowing players to recreate realistic battles without having to do a lot of independent research.

[ April 15, 2003, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: sgtgoody ]

Here's a suggestion, if it has been mentioned before please forgive me. A line of sight tool that shows a sector sketch for the unit. In the defense units could be assigned a sector of fire and then the player could look at that sector to see what in it the unit can see and engage. Basically the unit would have a pie slice that would be blue (for example) where it has LOS and red were it doesn't. Yes you can do this with the current tool but this option would more accurately reflect the preparations involved in defensive warfare.

Such an option would not need to be available to attacking or hasty defensive units as they will not have had the opportunity to prepare like the troops in a deliberate defense (with the dug in option on).

I posted this toward the end of the other thread, but since that is now unstuck - and rapidly slipping down through the pagers into the blackhole - I'll post the link again.

Stone & Stone

Has bios and OoBs on various Allied minor forces (Greeks, Jews, Free French, Indians, Canadians, ANZACs, Italians, etc) appropriate to CM:AK, for those who are interested in such things.

The site also has many, many well-written reviews of WWII books.

Regards

JonS

[ April 15, 2003, 08:07 PM: Message edited by: JonS ]

Originally posted by Hans:

Counter-proposal on the bagpipes. If the Brits get bagpipes the Germans get the squealing from the pig (animal) selected for lunch that day.

Sounds about the same

Years ago I read an interview with a German soldier who said something to the effect:

"When they attacked, they did all sorts of different things. The French sang, the Russians yelled, and the Brits played the bag pipes. But the American's, they attacked and killed in silence...that frightened us the most."

Now to be fair, the Russians in CMBB got their "UUURRRRAAAHHHH!" with the human wave command. I for one wouldn't mind some off tone Frenchmen or butter fingered Brits making noise while they attack.

In one of the other threads someone asked if there was any evidence that bagpipes were played in combat in WW2 rather than in victory parades and was met with a deafening silence, it would require different sound files for Scottish and English regiments too.

I just hope they get the bird songs right this time.

Originally posted by Firefly:

In one of the other threads someone asked if there was any evidence that bagpipes were played in combat in WW2 rather than in victory parades and was met with a deafening silence, it would require different sound files for Scottish and English regiments too.

I just hope they get the bird songs right this time.

My one and only North African campaign book states that towards the end of the campaign in Tunisia, units stopped using bagpipes in combat because, at £80 per set, they were too expensive to replace. This suggests to me regular appearance of such ghastly musical monstrosities in combat. Whether or not they should be included in the CM:AK game, though, is quite another matter.

Hey Andreas, what is the German angle on bagpipes? For a sensitive soul such as yourself, raised on the likes of Beethoven, Hayden, and Mozart, I would have thought the pipes would have constituted a violation of the Geneva Convention. The urge for Germans to DF the lone piper must have proved almost irresistable.

Best wishes,

Richard (a Sassenach) ;);)

Best wishes,

I'm sure great consideration is being given to the spotting rules for desert conditions.

I read recently (in an account about New Zealanders I think) that the heat haze in the desert magnified everything above three feet and completely obscured everything below it.

Combine that with the deep gun pits for the 88mms that Rommel himself prescribed, where there was only, well, 88mm showing above ground level, and it is easy to see how a battery of these things could halt an entire tank brigade (not only halt: decimate).

A more general point is that there should be a flag you can set for each tank to say whether it should stop to fire or whether it should fire on the move. The former was apparently the most common. At the moment (at least in CMBO) if my tanks are advancing on the enemy they suffer a severe disadvantage in that they are deemed to be firing on the move when, for improved effectiveness (and the sake of reality), they should be stopping before engaging, then continuing the advance once the threat has been destroyed.

Oh, and finally, I still think that my title suggestion: Combat Mission: Tobruk to Tobruk, is best. And you can have it.