New Combat Mission game Announced. Combat Mission: Afrika Korps!!! Pt2

Originally posted by Joel:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by DBaron:

You don't happen to remember the name of these two books do you?

AFRIKA KORPS by François de Lannoy, HEIMDAL Ed. - ISBN : 2-84048-152-9 smile.gif

Dual language French-English, 400+ pages, 800 photos, around 100 color shots.

The one about 21st Panzer Division is of the same kind and is published by Heimdal Editions as well, but I don't own it so have no further details. </font>

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

somehow, i found these text sometime somewhere last year and put them on my server.

Interesting articles on Afrika Korps:

http://www.web.ms11.net/retro/Life_In_The_Desert.txt

..."The type of vehicles used by the Germans in the desert were the same used in other theatres but unlike the Russians the British tanks were in general inferior to German machines. The German MK III and MK IV were used which outgunned the British Crusader, Valentine and Matilda tanks and the formidable 88mm anti-aircraft gun which was used for the first time in the desert could destroy British tanks from great distances. Other light tanks such as the Pz kpf I and II Panzers were also employed in the early stages and although outgunned were light and fast and proved useful reconnaissance vehicles.".....

http://www.web.ms11.net/retro/Afrikakorps_Infantry.txt

..."Interview with an Afrikakorps Infantry Veteran by Martin Schenkel.This interview was done on January 23rd, 1999 by Martin Schenkel with a German Veteran known as OberschŸtze Siebenbrot. He served in North Africa during WWII in the Wehrmacht Heer. In this interview, Siebenbrot first explains his wartime experiences and then responds to a number of questions asked by Martin." .....

http://www.web.ms11.net/retro/Afrikakorps_Panzer_Veteran.txt

..."Interview with an Afrikakorps Panzer Veteran by Jeff Scott. This interview was conducted by Jeff Scott on Tuesday November 10th, 1998. Jeff interviewed Hans (his real name) who is the father of an internet friend of his. Hans comes to the United States once a year and drives all across the Country."....

http://www.web.ms11.net/retro/Rescue_Of_Musolini,The.txt

Article on Otto Skorzeny's rescue of Musolini (Can we do scenario of this huh huh ?)

*** non Afrika Korps ***

http://www.web.ms11.net/retro/Panzergrenadier_Veteran.txt

.."The following was translated and compilied by Bjšrn Jervas, whose Grandfather, Willy Tiedemann, served in the Wehrmacht Heer during WWII. The following memoir was written from a series of audio tapes that wererecorded by Willy before his death a number of years ago. Some place names may be incorrectly spelled, and various minor corrections and additions have been added by Jason Pipes, as indicated by information inparentheses. The following is an interesting mix of biography, memoir and diary entires based on Willy's experiences during World War II. It serves as a powerful testiment to the entire range of experiences and emotions of a German Soldat, from the monumental to the mundane, and from the joyous to the terribly upsetting."...

http://www.web.ms11.net/retro/Nachrichten_Veteran.txt

.."Memoirs of a Luftwaffe Nachrichten Veteran. The following was written by Hans Thielemann, a frequent visitor to the online forum of this site. Hans served during World War Two in the Luftwaffe signals branch, in a Nachtrichten unit. His story is an amazing one, and one straight from the heart. In this brief overview of his life Hans recounts a variety of emotions and recollections, and provides a valuable glimpse into the experiences of many men during the period. Hans ended WWII in the Kurland Pocket and was one of the lucky few to make it home alive from Soviet captivity."

Originally posted by laxx:

...and the formidable 88mm anti-aircraft gun which was used for the first time in the desert

Thanks for those. But the first use of the 88mm in the anti-tank role? Wasn't that in Poland?

I liked the bit about the Bedouin having a 'certain liking' for the Germans in preference to their Italian/British occupiers. How could anyone tell?

A small correction: water stored in petrol cans doesn't become undrinkable. It just tastes strongly of petrol. Reason enough to use separate cans where available...

the first use of the 88mm in the anti-tank role? Wasn't that in Poland?
Wasn't it at the battle of Arras in France when the german AT weapons were incapable of penetrating the Matilda II's armour and a hurried defence was organised using Flak 88s.If memory serves me(which of course it may not)Rommel himself ordered them to be turned on the British tanks.Or maybe it was Guderian....

the first use of the 88mm in the anti-tank role? Wasn't that in Poland?
Wasn't it at the battle of Arras in France when the german AT weapons were incapable of penetrating the Matilda II's armour and a hurried defence was organised using Flak 88s.If memory serves me(which of course it may not)Rommel himself ordered them to be turned on the British tanks.Or maybe it was Guderian....

Originally posted by Chek:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> the first use of the 88mm in the anti-tank role? Wasn't that in Poland?

Wasn't it at the battle of Arras in France when the german AT weapons were incapable of penetrating the Matilda II's armour and a hurried defence was organised using Flak 88s.If memory serves me(which of course it may not)Rommel himself ordered them to be turned on the British tanks.Or maybe it was Guderian.... </font>

Originally posted by Freefrench2:

First use of the 88mm in an AT role ? In France, yes, but against french heavy B1-bis Tanks...sorry for english brothers! The germans turned against those tanks every gun they had on hand and turned them in this role : 105 mm guns too!!

I stand corrected,how else could they have stopped that great behemoth.

I too am eagerly anticipating CMAK

[ April 26, 2003, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: Chek ]

Originally posted by Chek:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Freefrench2:

First use of the 88mm in an AT role ? In France, yes, but against french heavy B1-bis Tanks...sorry for english brothers! The germans turned against those tanks every gun they had on hand and turned them in this role : 105 mm guns too!!

I stand corrected,how else could they have stopped that great behemoth. </font>

Originally posted by Andreas:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Chek:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Freefrench2:

First use of the 88mm in an AT role ? In France, yes, but against french heavy B1-bis Tanks...[...]

I stand corrected,how else could they have stopped that great behemoth. </font>

Hi,

This one is really one of my wishes for the new engine CMX2, but in the perfect world, also for CMAK. In a desert setting it would help a lot.

“Toggled Elevation Grid.

For me, others will differ; the one big human-to-computer interface problem is the lack of an ability to spot elevation/undulation changes realistically. Using the 1.25m elevation settings there is a greater change in colour for any given change in elevation, but even so, the real life ability to spot elevation change, undulations, is far greater then in CMBB. Computer screens just cannot handle it the way the human eye can in the real world. Thus the ability to toggle a grid on and off in the orders phase of the game so as to better spot undulations, would be a big plus.”

A simple grid of black squares on a pink/transparent back ground that could be toggled on and off would be a huge help in a desert game. Without it, spotting all those 1m-3m undulations will be very hard work indeed in a Med version of CM.

If it is not possible, no problem. I am more than happy to have a Med version of CMBB, I think of it as a bonus game smile.gif . To be honest I do not really expect any changes from CMBB.

All the best,

Kip.

Originally posted by Determinant:

Ahh yes, the well known 'Death-Star cooling vent vulnerability'. You have to be careful with those cooling vents in your otherwise invulnerable super-weapons. A pity that it could not be accessed only by flying down a canyon along the side of the beastie. Star Wars - it holds a mirror up to nature...

Thank you - now I have a vision of Chewbacca sticking halfway out of the top of a Panzer 35(t).

Some more reading to get you in the mood:

World War II in the Mediterranean: 1942-1945

Carlo D'Este

Rommel in the Desert: Victories and Defeat of the Afrika-Korps: 1941-1943

Volkmar Kuhn (umlaut over u)

D'Este is a broad overview with some tactical data while Kuhn has a more detailed account, from the German side. Unfortunatly there are few tactical maps but there is a good OOB.

Good to see that a new CM sees the light.

Still CM isn't my favorite WW2 game :rolleyes:

strategic > the campaigns are silly. Way too short and you never get that "campaign" feeling.

Across the Rhine did a better job, so does I'Panzer44 and Panzer Commander too.

Why not a campaingmode with a REEL Barbarossa to Berlin tour :confused: If you don't succeed at Minks you never get to Moskou (or berlin).

tactics > ok.

Ai > bad. When i order a vehicle to travel from point A to B it goes as much folllow that straight line, aldo 2 mtrs. away lays a shiny road which is totally ignored. This can simply be resolved with a (stick to road -button) i've seen in other games. Futhermore, when setting a waypoint to go, it shoes a straig line. When set, it still is a straight line. Next turn you check the unit (if at all) to notice it's route is changed into a "complex of waypoints" just because there lies a "tree or wall" in the way. Why does the AI not check and correct this right after you have set the point. So that you can correct it BEFORE! it moves the way you didn't intend to ? :confused:

Graphics > Average. Aldo thing look good and there isn't much to complain about that there are some issue's

1) Ton's of steel riding straigt OVER and through the other objects :(

2) If it isn't for the moving tracks and contact of wheel or you would have a 100% feeling that things slide/hover over the battefield instead of "drivin" :(

3) Where are the tracks that tanks leave behind ?

4) And where's the dust/clouds they produce when travelling ?

Just some issue's, there are more. these are just the ones that i find the most annoying.

I just had the greatest idea for a new feature to improve CM! A feature where you can hit a button, and the map will show you all areas that are visible to your troops! LOS is known for all your units anyways, but there is no button to hit to see what ALL of your men can see. It could just shade the map area that is visible a transparent color or something, letting you know at a glance what's in view.

Only just caught up with this great news - and I am just about to head off for a week on the Italian battlefields of WW2; Anzio, Monte Cassino, Gothic Line etc.

If you want to see my pictures of what the trip was like keep an eye on my website in late May.

Can't wait for this game now!

@ 88mm

"Why not a campaingmode with a REEL Barbarossa to Berlin tour "

The games engine cannot handle that sort of campaign.

"

Ai > bad. When i order a vehicle to travel from point A to B it goes as much folllow that straight line, aldo 2 mtrs. away lays a shiny road which is totally ignored"

You have to manually order the tank with waypoints to go to the road and follow it.Which is just a couple of mouse clicks..No need for a special button to do this.

"Futhermore, when setting a waypoint to go, it shoes a straight line. When set, it still is a straight line. Next turn you check the unit (if at all) to notice it's route is changed into a "complex of waypoints" just because there lies a "tree or wall" in the way."

This is because the AI does not calculate any action until the GO button is hit.Only then will it calculate where the waypoints need to go to get around wooded areas or what have you to get from point A to point B.Again all you need is a couple of mouse clicks to set the vehicles waypoints manually to get around objects you should know the unit cannot go through.Again no changes needed here.

"1) Ton's of steel riding straigt OVER and through the other objects

2) If it isn't for the moving tracks and contact of wheel or you would have a 100% feeling that things slide/hover over the battefield instead of "drivin"

3) Where are the tracks that tanks leave behind ?

4) And where's the dust/clouds they produce when travelling ?"

1)The manual explains this subject..What you are seeing is just an abstract view of the true battlefield the game uses for calculations.So what you see is not nessacarily what is truly going on.For example the 3 men in a unit that you see are actually representing 12 men or so and they may be spread around and not in the exact spot that you are seeing.

2)Pure eye candy and not really needed in my opinion

3)Again pure eye candy that is not needed.

4)This will be implemented in the new CMAK game.